A3 8V 2013 1.4 TFSi Oil Consumption Issues

Naim

Reaction score
Hello,

I have Audi A3 8V 2013 1.4 TFSI (122HP) for a year. When I bought it I done "small" service, oil change, all filters and service of air contidion.

After 3 months / 3.000KM i got "Check oil level" warning message. I bought and put 1 liter of oil. 2 months after that i get that message on weekly / monthly basis. When I put oil, warning message dissapear, but even if I drive it a lot or just a few hundrets kilometers, the oil warning message appear again.

This happens more often if I drive it in Dynamic mode:hearteyes:.

As first I checked under the car, but there is no oil leak. Next week i must go to service for oil and filter change (after 11.000 KM) and I will check with the service what will they say.

Any suggestion or advice form forum experts?

Something not right there. Is the engine warm while checking the oil. It has to be going somewhere. Is the any smoke when u start your car from exhaust.

Something not right there. Is the engine warm while checking the oil. It has to be going somewhere. Is the any smoke when u start your car from exhaust.

There is no smoke, and i checked on the warm and cold engine as well.

Service put Castrol Edge 5W40 and I also put the same when I got waring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fully synthetic? If so I can’t understand why burning so much.

Fully synthetic? If so I can’t understand why burning so much.

Yes, fully synthetic and burning too much. I dont know is it normal or something is wrong.

I’ve had the 1.4 and this ain’t normal, I burned half a litre every 4-5 000 miles.

Reactions: glospete
The thing is u said it goes down even when u dont really drive it, seems very odd. Have u got any type of scan tools?

I would check there is no smoke when the turbo is spooling too. Turbos are often to blame when oil consumption is high

The thing is u said it goes down even when u dont really drive it, seems very odd. Have u got any type of scan tools?

Yes, I have VCDS. Tomorrow I will visit servise and ask them for oppinion.

Let’s us know how u get on

Sure I will. Today warning again, last week I put 1l.
4685ecebb615659366ca268bafbc9046.jpg

Something definitely really wrong there mate, hope the service department sorts it out for ya

Hello @Mikeyd1 @Khufu,

Yesterday service changed oil and filters and we spoke about this problem. They told me that turbine might be problem and need reparation. I was suspicious about this and went to other service to consult with them. Other servide told me that might be problem with pistons. Here is explanation I found on internet:

"What's wrong with them? I see it in this way. Construction mistake, failed construction of piston (heat distribution), and whole lubrication process (cooling of pistons). There are small holes in piston, and they are used for removing lubricant from cylinder's wall using wiper ring. This just don't happen. What is happened is next: those holes are sealed at the bottom, and lubricant is pushed into burning chamber, so it is burned together with air and petrol.

Why holes are sealed? I aim convinced that is because bad construction of pistons. High temperature, and lubricant at this place start so called coking (not cooking) proces, and layers of deposits of solid product of chemical reaction (lubricant, evaporation from bellow, and too much heat that came through piston walles) sealed the holes. Layers are deposited on the bottom of the piston and in the boreholes of the ring and ensure an increasingly degraded transport of lubricant to the bottom. Nedžad Grebović, automotosvijet.com

What Audi do about this? In USA they agreed to repair 129.000 cars, and they extend warranty from four to eight years. What did they do in Europe? Nothing, as I know!"

Now I don't know what to do :tearsofjoy:

Sorry to hear this. Hopefully it’s something more simple U need to get a real diagnosis first and then see. Fingers crossed for ya

Oil consumption during active vehicle operation is quite normal, and the intensity of its combustion depends on many factors. Engine manufacturers, as you know, indicate in the passport data how much oil a particular power unit consumes under average statistical conditions. A clogged oil filter can provoke this situation. What kind of oil are you using? My problem disappeared after changing the oil. Now I am using oil for cummins 6.7 Valvoline Premium Blue 15W40 GEO Motor Oil.

Almost all car manufacturers allow a normal oil consumption of no more than a liter per thousand kilometers of run, an important condition: for a high-speed run on the highway. The viscosity of the engine oil must correspond to that required for the given engine and the region where the vehicle is used. And as I said before I am using oil for cummins 6.7 https://davesoilchange.com/best-oil-for-cummins-6-7/ Valvoline Premium Blue 15W40 GEO Motor Oil and my car is fine.

Last edited:
Hello,

I have Audi A3 8V 2013 1.4 TFSI (122HP) for a year. When I bought it I done "small" service, oil change, all filters and service of air contidion.

After 3 months / 3.000KM i got "Check oil level" warning message. I bought and put 1 liter of oil. 2 months after that i get that message on weekly / monthly basis. When I put oil, warning message dissapear, but even if I drive it a lot or just a few hundrets kilometers, the oil warning message appear again.

This happens more often if I drive it in Dynamic mode:hearteyes:.

As first I checked under the car, but there is no oil leak. Next week i must go to service for oil and filter change (after 11.000 KM) and I will check with the service what will they say.

Any suggestion or advice form forum experts?
Hi, did you ever get to bottom of this? I’m having the same issue with same model. Thanks

Hello @Mikeyd1 @Khufu,

Yesterday service changed oil and filters and we spoke about this problem. They told me that turbine might be problem and need reparation. I was suspicious about this and went to other service to consult with them. Other servide told me that might be problem with pistons. Here is explanation I found on internet:

"What's wrong with them? I see it in this way. Construction mistake, failed construction of piston (heat distribution), and whole lubrication process (cooling of pistons). There are small holes in piston, and they are used for removing lubricant from cylinder's wall using wiper ring. This just don't happen. What is happened is next: those holes are sealed at the bottom, and lubricant is pushed into burning chamber, so it is burned together with air and petrol.

Why holes are sealed? I aim convinced that is because bad construction of pistons. High temperature, and lubricant at this place start so called coking (not cooking) proces, and layers of deposits of solid product of chemical reaction (lubricant, evaporation from bellow, and too much heat that came through piston walles) sealed the holes. Layers are deposited on the bottom of the piston and in the boreholes of the ring and ensure an increasingly degraded transport of lubricant to the bottom. Nedžad Grebović, automotosvijet.com

What Audi do about this? In USA they agreed to repair 129.000 cars, and they extend warranty from four to eight years. What did they do in Europe? Nothing, as I know!"

Now I don't know what to do

Hello @Mikeyd1 @Khufu,

Now I don't know what to do :tearsofjoy:
can you please share what was the problem in the end of the diagnosis?