A3 8v 2.0 tdi quattro mpg

BrummieLad

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Been having a read of the thread regarding mpg on the 8v, but i can't fund the answer to my problem so hace started a new thread.

I've got a 2014 A3 2.0 tdi 184 quattro s-tronic, which seems to guzzling fuel at an alarming rate. I've had the car gor 8 months. Now I know quattro takes it hit, but at the moment i only seem to be getting around 25mpg ot less. The car is driven in eco mode all of the time, and my daily commute to work is 25 mile round trip on the motorway. The rest of my driving is all local.

The whole reason i bought this over a. S3 was due to lowe fuel consumption, but now really questioning my choice. I only get 90-100 from £20 in Eco mode!!! I'd dread to think what would hsppen in dynamic mode. The cars only done 36000 miles but should be well run in now. Surely this isn't right? What are others getting in a similar car or s3.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

The A3 was 2014 2.0 TDI 150 (not quattro) so can't compare... but 25, wtf, S3 does better lol...
Wtf

My facelift S3 3 door stronic is currently averaging 35mpg after 16k miles, my commute is 50 miles each way, car is 90% used on the motorway at 3rd lane speeds.

Obviously there are lots of factors to consider but 25mpg seems low. I had the 184 tdi in the TT ultra and that averaged 50mpg easily, only 2wd, manual and lighter though.

Thanks for the replies guys. I was surprised as you guys and thought it may improve with time, but think this is getting unbearable now. I mean 90-100 miles from £20? Surely an S3 does that. As I said earlier the whole point of me buying this was to get the best of both performance and economy, but how wrong was I. The car was fully serviced in January at an Audi dealership. There are no warning lights on in the car either.

Well I guess 90-100 miles for £20 is like 300 a tank?

I don't know what I would do though if I was you. I'd have hoped though over 20000 miles ago the mpg was getting better...
Suppose you could speak to Audi but with their being a thousand different variables which calculate mpg.. Well yeah...

On my A3 a bad journey to work (8 mile town commute) was under 30 mpg and it didn't happen often. I got 30 in the S3 this morning which is a good journey to work.

So unless you're driving at 100 mph for your entire journey. Doesn't sound right.

Have you checked your tyre pressures? Under inflation could be a factor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a Seat Leon 184 2.0 (so same engine as the Audi), and I averaged 59.9mpg over 9984 miles (actual calculations using roadtrip app). Most of my drive was a 130 mile round trip once or twice a week for work, with the odd short journey here and there. I had cruise control at 63mph on motorways so I didn't drive fast by any means, but if my figures are at the top end of what to expect, then even with quattro I'd say you should be getting a fair bit more than you do. Can only assume the short trips you're doing are having an overly adverse affect on your figures.

My 1.8TFSI A3 is currently averaging 38.4mpg over 9247 miles (thought it may be useful as a reference)

Thanks for your valuable input guys.

@oli356- those figures from the s3 are impressive, wishing I had got one now. I'm not doimg no where near those speeds. I guess it's worth me shoving some injector cleaner in there, and taking it for a good 100 mile run to any improvement.

@airbus319 Tyre pressures were the first thing i checked and all appear ok. Call me paranoid but i was wondering if the cloens at the dealers did actually service the thing..

Will- thats useful to know as it's given me a benchmark. If you were acheiving 59mpg in the leon and now 38 in a 1.8tfsi, I should be getting in the low 40s taking into account the quattro and s-tronic. You maybe right about my short journeys having an adverse impact, so might taking it on a day out this weekend and see if there's any improvement. My daily commute is at 50-60 miles per hour due to variable speed limits, so the engine may well be due a clean.

I have a 2016 150 quattro and get around 44 - 45 mpg normally ( motorway and backroads mostly) and upto 49 mpg on a long run if just cruising. That's calculated brim to brim not computer.
Check tyre pressures, air filter and that brakes are not binding. Get it off the eco mode too and try that.

Hi Guys,

Been having a read of the thread regarding mpg on the 8v, but i can't fund the answer to my problem so hace started a new thread.

I've got a 2014 A3 2.0 tdi 184 quattro s-tronic, which seems to guzzling fuel at an alarming rate. I've had the car gor 8 months. Now I know quattro takes it hit, but at the moment i only seem to be getting around 25mpg ot less. The car is driven in eco mode all of the time, and my daily commute to work is 25 mile round trip on the motorway. The rest of my driving is all local.

The whole reason i bought this over a. S3 was due to lowe fuel consumption, but now really questioning my choice. I only get 90-100 from £20 in Eco mode!!! I'd dread to think what would hsppen in dynamic mode. The cars only done 36000 miles but should be well run in now. Surely this isn't right? What are others getting in a similar car or s3.

According to honestjohn realmpg website folks get on average 49mpg (manual) and 45mpg (stronic) with that engine and Quattro

Exact same spec as op, ours does around mid 40’s plodding about and closer to 50mpg on a motorway run.

Will try driving out of eco mode for a few days as suggested by @Fatbloke. But isn't this mode mento to maximise exonomy in the first place? Certainly can't hear or feels the brakes binding, and just had the brakes changed last week too.

@Blurtar intersting what you mention, as i had the expectstion of the mid 40s myself but never have acheived it in mt ownership. What mode do you drive the car in, and what proportion of your driving would you say was city driving? Is most your driving continous?

It’s the wife’s daily runner, roughly a fifteen minute drive to work and back from the east of Leeds to the town centre so plenty slow moving! I disabled the stop start system for this reason!

It never comes out of economy except on the odd occasion I’m driving and open it up a bit. She achieves early forties on mpg but it easily climbs when I’m driving due to been a HGV driver.

I can achieve 50 mpg on the motorway from Leeds to Leicester via the M1.

Worth getting the wheel alignment checked as well. If that's out it'll be having an impact on the mpg. 25 mpg is way below what it should be.

Thanks Blurtar. I might drive upto Leeds to see a friend this weekend from Birmingham, so would be interesting to see what mpg in returns. Mines nevdr cimes out of Evo mide either, but will try tsking it out as suggested abive to see if i get any gains

Good shout amb66, I didn't think about the wheel alignment, though the car seems to be driving straight, but I will get this done and eliminated.

Hi Guys,

Could be a number of factors already mentioned. Tyres, wheel alignment, brakes binding etc.

Also, I don't think Eco mode is the Eco anyway, as to achieve the same amount of acceleration (say from 50-70) your foot is actually longer on the accelerator than it would be in normal or dynamic.

There was a brief study carried out be Top Gear or 5th Gear years ago with Tiff Needel. Trying to find out if it was better mpg to slowly gain acceleration, or to accelerate more swiftly to achieve the desired speed, and how it related to mpg. Though not the last word in scientific experiment, they concluded they got better mpg by accelerating more quickly. Theory was, you spend less time with an open throttle, thus actually using less fuel.

I tried Eco in my S3 when I first got it, and it was painful to drive. Don't bother at all now.

Maybe check if the car has been remapped previously? It may be running on a rubbish map that's over fueling. Ask Audi to flash the ECU for you.

My 18 plate 2.0TDI (non Quattro) is barely getting 50mpg just now to/from work, with currently just over 1000 miles on the clock.

My previous 1.6 got avg 60mpg doing same journey (34000 on the clock)

1.6 got me about 580 miles range on a tank, 2.0 only shows 450 range

My poor mpg is likely due to engine still settling, but figured worth posting for reference in case it’s any help.

Thanks for the input, it's really big help. I have taken it out of eco mode as suggested and had a nice clear motorway on the way to work and back but only managed to get 28-29mpg. This was at a steady 50-60 mph. I'm going try and book it for tracking for the weekend or next week. I'm beginning to suspect the dealers may not have changed the oil during the service, as they reset the oil and inspection service interval to 18700. However i have only 2000 miles since then, but the service interval had dropped to less than 8600 miles when i checked today. So could the dirty oil be the cause of the service interval dropping so drastically and subsequent poor mpg. It's original service was at 18000 miles, so this oil will be well dirty if this is case. The car hasn't been mapped as i bought off a mid 50s women who owned it from new.

Thanks for the input, it's really big help. I have taken it out of eco mode as suggested and had a nice clear motorway on the way to work and back but only managed to get 28-29mpg. This was at a steady 50-60 mph. I'm going try and book it for tracking for the weekend or next week. I'm beginning to suspect the dealers may not have changed the oil during the service, as they reset the oil and inspection service interval to 18700. However i have only 2000 miles since then, but the service interval had dropped to less than 8600 miles when i checked today. So could the dirty oil be the cause of the service interval dropping so drastically and subsequent poor mpg. It's original service was at 18000 miles, so this oil will be well dirty if this is case. The car hasn't been mapped as i bought off a mid 50s women who owned it from new.
Something is definitely up with it, may be it was run in properly, not thrashed but not pushed enough early on in its life.

Reactions: Neil C
@tybDefinently and you maybe right about not being run in properly earlier in life. Let's face it the profile of the previous owner is hardly someone that is likely to push the car to any limit, or even be aware that it's necessary.

But then can't understand why she would go for the 184 in the first place, but maybe due to it being the only option on the quattro.

Might take it for a run this weekend to clear out any crap thst might be stuck in the engine

@tybDefinently and you maybe right about not being run in properly earlier in life. Let's face it the profile of the previous owner is hardly someone that is likely to push the car to any limit, or even be aware that it's necessary.

But then can't understand why she would go for the 184 in the first place, but maybe due to it being the only option on the quattro.
Hopefully get it sorted as they are great engines

I've seen someone in their 60s at least driving a brand new Civic Type R, does make ya wonder :)

Reactions: TYb
Must have poor eyesite, they are so ugly.
If it makes you feel any better, with it being a nice sunny day out, windows open, DSG farting all the way home.... 21.7 mpg..

So your TDI is better than that :p

1st summer with the S3 and I can see myself at the petrol station more frequently now!

Reactions: TonkS3, BrummieLad and TYb
I have a 2017 2.0 TFSI A3 it’s only just been ran in and I’m getting 28-29 mpg on average.

If it makes you feel any better, with it being a nice sunny day out, windows open, DSG farting all the way home.... 21.7 mpg..

So your TDI is better than that :p

1st summer with the S3 and I can see myself at the petrol station more frequently now!

Lol oli kind of makes me feel worse knowing I'm missing out on all thst farting and popping

Your motor is the ideal car gor the summer. Thinking of getting the next shape, bit that's probably about 18 months away...

Reactions: oli356 and TYb
Lol oli kind of makes me feel worse knowing I'm missing out on all thst farting and popping

Your motor is the ideal car gor the summer. Thinking of getting the next shape, bit that's probably about 18 months away...
I'm sad I don't have the FL, would sound even better but ahh well.. when I bought the car (before I was on this forum) I had no idea =)

Still had a blast in my 2.0 TDI 150 A3 though in the summer tbh, especially with the pano roof open.. miss that thing.

You say the car was fully serviced in January - is this when the problem started? I wonder if there's a fuel leak if they changed the filter

I'm sad I don't have the FL, would sound even better but ahh well.. when I bought the car (before I was on this forum) I had no idea =)

Still had a blast in my 2.0 TDI 150 A3 though in the summer tbh, especially with the pano roof open.. miss that thing.

Panaromic sunroof is a must.gor my next car as i find it improves the overall look of the car when open, as well as the comfort factor during the summer. I thought about getting the FL S3, then went ahead with the sline quattro instead to save a bit of money on rinning costs. I have however converted mines to a facelift, though there are few niggles still to sort out. I might het the next s3 though, or try something different, as my car before this was a A3 8p s line too.

Reactions: oli356
You say the car was fully serviced in January - is this when the problem started? I wonder if there's a fuel leak if they changed the filter

Hi Dave no I had the problems before then but as the last service was in November 2015, i thought it was due to the oil being old, and would be fixed. The service light did not come on until November 2018, and my local dealers messes me around alot which meant it did not go in for service until january 2018. Even then they refused to service my car saying as it was the new year, they did know the new cost as it changes every year. It got a bit heated as they had told me the same thing since November, and i wasn't goung to take more crap for them. I escalted the matter to audi uk who gave them a telling off, after which they serviced my car. I got bad attitude from the seevice manger about why i had told audi uk abiut this, which raises my suspicion if the service has actually been done. I can't see any leaks and also had the cambelt and waterpump changed a few weeks ago, and the garage never mentioned any leaks.

Hi. I’ve got a 150 Quattro remmped to 196ps and can easily achieve 50 ish if I’m in eco with cruise on around 70mph. I hope you solve that bad I did 180mile round trip from £20 last week

Well i took it down to Leeds/Bradford yesterday, and the economy does seem better on a run. I put in £25 from Asda in saturday and did some miles locally, and then did the 125 mile one way trip. I forgot to note down the mileage, but i think it was 170 miles from £25, driving between 70-80mph in auto mode. Then topped up £40 from a Shell petrol in Bradford, and did the 125 miles journey back home, and my 12 mile (so 137 miles so far) commute to work this morning. Will be keeping on close watch on how much i get from this £40.

Well i took it down to Leeds/Bradford yesterday, and the economy does seem better on a run. I put in £25 from Asda in saturday and did some miles locally, and then did the 125 mile one way trip. I forgot to note down the mileage, but i think it was 170 miles from £25, driving between 70-80mph in auto mode. Then topped up £40 from a Shell petrol in Bradford, and did the 125 miles journey back home, and my 12 mile (so 137 miles so far) commute to work this morning. Will be keeping on close watch on how much i get from this £40.

I only run mine on shell v power. It’s a bit more expensive but should be better for the car overall

So after the run this weekend and topping up on Sunday in Bradford, I got 280 miles from £40 which is a big improvement. Not sure if the ru had an impact, or due to warmer tempertures but just hope it stays that way.

We need a new funky measurement here, miles per pound and have to take the average price of fuel or something to figure out your mpg ;)

That does sound much better though, hopefully it stays that way.!

We need a new funky measurement here, miles per pound and have to take the average price of fuel or something to figure out your mpg ;)

That does sound much better though, hopefully it stays that way.![/QUOTE

Works out to about 40mog

Lol i always forget the mpgs as it changes every journey, so use the trip meter instead to track how much mileage i have done on each fill up, as i.fi d it easier to track this way.

Exact same spec as op, ours does around mid 40’s plodding about and closer to 50mpg on a motorway run.

Same here. I do have a heavy right foot, but my lifetime average is in the high 30s (39 or so). 25 is not good at all. I can get 55mpg if I'm being careful on a long journey, 45 on a mixed journey, 30s around town. Trouble is if you do some low mpg journeys it can really bring the average down, even if you do a lot more at high mpg.

Same here. I do have a heavy right foot, but my lifetime average is in the high 30s (39 or so). 25 is not good at all. I can get 55mpg if I'm being careful on a long journey, 45 on a mixed journey, 30s around town. Trouble is if you do some low mpg journeys it can really bring the average down, even if you do a lot more at high mpg.
Mine is much the same. I should be getting around 50mpg next week as I'm driving to Dortmund in Germany for a model exhibition. There tends to be less traffic and virtually no stop/start traffic and I can keep up a steady 80mph for most of the journey across France, Belgium and Holland and perhaps a little fastest once I get on to the German autobahn!

I'm driving to Poland and back in July, but towing a glider trailer which will restrict my speed somewhat...