A3 8V 1.8 TFSI

SJ43

Reaction score
Hi all,

I would just like to thank all on this forum helping me make the decision on an A3 8V. What a resourceful & helpful forum.

This is one of my first posts, but I used this forum to make many informed decisions mainly trying to decide whether to go petrol or diesel.

After driving a 1.4 TFSI (140bhp) and the 1.8 TFSI, I've decided to go with the 1.8 TFSI. I was really impressed by how the 1.4 performed though I must say. I drove a 2.0 TDI to be (completely unbiased!:)) but really liked the revvy nature of the petrols in all honesty but nevertheless was a great engine.

Threads in regards to the 1.8's MPG are quite scarce and quite old - may I re-open the question as to what people are actually getting in the real world?
My miles consist of 75% motorway 25% city driving if that helps. (12-15k annum)

I'm currently on the lookout for one (posted ad in Wanted section) but would like to know what I'm sort of MPG I'm roughly going to be getting! Especially as I will be coming from a Volvo C30 1.6d so I am expecting a drop but not sure how much by!

Just a few comments in regards to the 1.8 TFSI performance from the test drive I had, for any considering one:
Engine pulls really well - to put into perspective it felt as quick (if not quicker?!) than a mk5 GTI manual I've driven in the past.
Torque comes in from very low in rev range and pulls in a linear fashion into the higher end of the rev range
Very quiet! (In my opinion) This makes the pace and progress quite deceptive.
7-speed S-tronic was ok, but may take a bit of getting used to from standing starts with the slight delay from pressing the accelerator-read threads of how to get around this though.
All the above applies to the 1.4 TFSI (140bhp) I drove, its just the 1.8 pulled slightly stronger in the higher end of the rev range.

Many thanks
SJ

Well first off congrats on your new wheels !

The S-Tronic box does take a little while to get use to, but once you are happy with how it behaves in different situations, it performs really well. You may find a few topics on this that were started reasonably recently, @veeeight has be involved in a few and he is an endless tree of knowledge! I had a 1.4 TFSI A1 before the S3 and was beyond impressed with the responsiveness and speed of that engine, so can imagine the 1.8 is quite a treat to drive!

Had an 8P (09 plate) 1.8 TFSI and really enjoyed it - think it was 170bhp and so has probably been fettled somewhat since then. It was manual and from memory would give me 33-35mpg.

Ah - I think I may have mis-communicated what I was trying to say! Lol Apologies!!!!

I haven't brought a 1.8 TFSI yet I'm trying to find my ideal one but wanted a rough idea as to what MPG I'm roughly will be getting. I appreciate that it varies from driver to driver though.. (My normal motorway cruise is ~80mph if that adds any perspective)

@Wondering Soul Yes it seems like a decent 'box but just requires some adapting which is like anything really. Thanks for the advice and the S3 must be a rocket! I would go that route if I could but the budget doesn't allow unfortunately!

Thanks for that link @veeeight , very useful.

@STERLING VOID I hope to be part of that club soon :)

@Rob2k68 That isnt too bad to be honest, anything around the 35mpg+ is fine in my book. Cheers.

If anyone is selling their 1.8 TFSI, please feel free to let me know..:)

Reactions: Wondering Soul and Rob2k68
I have a 1.8 S-Tronic and get MPGs ranging from 29 - 46 depending on the traffic (and my right foot).

43mpg on a decent motorway run is very achievable and without driving like a wendy or using 50mph zones to boost the economy.

Reactions: SJ43
I have a 1.4 COD Ultra with 150bhp (supposedly less weight as per the advertisement says but the numbers seem to contradict).

I must admit that the 150bhp is such useable power and that the reviews seem to say that its the engine to go for. Its less tax, less insurance and better MPG(driving style dependent) and if you really get bored remap would put it next to the 1.8 in numbers...

I have the 1.8 s-tronic quattro version too, here's a trip i made last week
Ps: i'm sorry but you'll have to convert km to miles
6d2abbaf910571c2210f463b92aae504.jpg

Mostly highway with an average speed of 130/140 km/h

Hope it helps :)

@edge thats a good point, considering the specific toys I would like I would be waiting forever for a 1.8, I wouldn't mind a 1.4 because as you mentioned the power in just so usable and I can always remap if I felt it was really lacking..

@Rikikite thank you very much for that, it equates to 38.7 (UK) Mpg which is impressive considering your average speed and also the 4 wheel drive

@edge thats a good point, considering the specific toys I would like I would be waiting forever for a 1.8, I wouldn't mind a 1.4 because as you mentioned the power in just so usable and I can always remap if I felt it was really lacking..

Just to explain, I had a heavy modded MRC B7 RS4 for the last 5 years and moved to the A3 for a few reasons.

The RS4 was putting out about 430bhp when I said goodbye to her at Audi and drove 2 hours home in a car with car only 35% of the power.

Its a cracking engine, in a cracking car. Yeah you will getting better numbers from the 1.8 and to be fair i wasn't able to really test drive a 1.8 or the 1.4 properly with a salesman next to me, but from living with the 1.4 its more than enough for my needs anyways. I had it down the country twice, motorways where it cruises at 160k with no issues or feeling that its working rally hard to keep at that speed and then we you get the B roads, for a FWD car, it handles really well and the 150bhp is enjoyable. My last 8/9 years of car ownership was AWD and back to FWD I was a little worried, but the over-stear is manageable when chucking it about but i cant say that Iv had it on a track or risked truly finding its limit. All in all, I really enjoy her. Tax and Insurance is a bit of a joke over here in Ireland on anything big, €1800 Tax, €900 insurance on the RS4 for the year.... or now €190 Tax and €290 insurance and not to mention the approx 600k I can get from a tank of petrol!

If there was no tuning option available and I would prob look at the 1.8, but with a tuning box that would get you near the 1.8 numbers for £400 that you can turn on and off as you choose. Also you can tinker with these to get more out of. I would say try them both, make sure its the 150bhp and really try and compare them to what your daily run/fun would be........(Forgot to mention, mine is also a manual)

Last edited:
Just to explain, I had a heavy modded MRC B7 RS4 for the last 5 years and moved to the A3 for a few reasons.

The RS4 was putting out about 430bhp when I said goodbye to her at Audi and drove 2 hours home in a car with car only 35% of the power.

Its a cracking engine, in a cracking car. Yeah you will getting better numbers from the 1.8 and to be fair i wasn't able to really test drive a 1.8 or the 1.4 properly with a salesman next to me, but from living with the 1.4 its more than enough for my needs anyways. I had it down the country twice, motorways where it cruises at 160k with no issues or feeling that its working rally hard to keep at that speed and then we you get the B roads, for a FWD car, it handles really well and the 150bhp is enjoyable. My last 8/9 years of car ownership was AWD and back to FWD I was a little worried, but the over-stear is manageable when chucking it about but i cant say that Iv had it on a track or risked truly finding its limit. All in all, I really enjoy her. Tax and Insurance is a bit of a joke over here in Ireland on anything big, €1800 Tax, €900 insurance on the RS4 for the year.... or now €190 Tax and €290 insurance and not to mention the approx 600k I can get from a tank of petrol!

If there was no tuning option available and I would prob look at the 1.8, but with a tuning box that would get you near the 1.8 numbers for £400 that you can turn on and off as you choose. Also you can tinker with these to get more out of. I would say try them both, make sure its the 150bhp and really try and compare them to what your daily run/fun would be........(Forgot to mention, mine is also a manual)
That is a huge downgrade, but i agree with you. These new motors are sufficient for daily driving and are really worth it when it comes to economy. I would not mind an RS4 for a weekender though, even if its the B5.

@edge @STERLING VOID that really speaks high volumes for that engine and after reading that, makes me want to drive a 1.4 TFSI (higher output) again on an extended test drive...
From initial test drive which was a while ago now, I drove it relatively soft but when I drive one now I will make sure I drive it a bit more 'spiritidly'.
I have to be honest, that was one of my concerns, that at higher speeds the engine may feel slightly strained which I found offputting but if you think against that, it inspires me with confidence.
I definitely agree with you that if feels light on its toes, even compared to the 1 series I previously had.
600km per tank is impressive, may I ask what sort of Combination of driving you do in order to achieve them sort of figures in terms of ratio of local/motorway driving? Or even an MPG reading/calculation of what youre getting?
Thanks

Just as an update, I drove a 1.4 CoD and it was great, it wasnt really much of a compromise in my opinion in terms of day to day driving especially from a 1.8 after giving it a 'proper' drive so opened up my searched to one.
A 1.8 Sportback S-tronic FWD then came up for sale with the toys I was after, (heavily specced) and within budget so I've took the plunge!

Thanks all for your advice and help. Urge anyone considering a 1.8 to drive a higher output 1.4. Both great engines.

Another 1.8 owner on the way..! A few mods in mind aswell :D

Reactions: STERLING VOID and Ben Daniel Grant
Just as an update, I drove a 1.4 CoD and it was great, it wasnt really much of a compromise in my opinion in terms of day to day driving especially from a 1.8 after giving it a 'proper' drive so opened up my searched to one.
A 1.8 Sportback S-tronic FWD then came up for sale with the toys I was after, (heavily specced) and within budget so I've took the plunge!

Thanks all for your advice and help. Urge anyone considering a 1.8 to drive a higher output 1.4. Both great engines.

Another 1.8 owner on the way..! A few mods in mind aswell :D

Pics and perhaps build thread? :yes:

I was tempted by the 1.8 quattro until I clocked the prices! The couple I saw were easily S3 money. I went for the 1.4 COD in the end and am finding it is so economical that I can hardly believe it. I do a 4 on 4 off shift pattern and have been to work seven times since filling it up and the gauge is still showing half full. My commute is 45 miles round trip, so I've done 4x45 miles, used the car on my 4 days off and then done another 3x45 miles so far, all without visiting a petrol station again. I reckon it'll be a fortnight between fills.

@STERLING VOID If I get round to modding, for sure.

@simonali Its true, the 1.4 CoD is fab engine and recommend it to anyone considering any variant of A3. Currently getting 42mpg on my (majority motorway) commute to work.

@STERLING VOID Forgot to ask actually, what downpipe are running at the moment on your 1.8? How much difference is there in cabin noise?

Look forward to hearing from you.

@STERLING VOID Forgot to ask actually, what downpipe are running at the moment on your 1.8? How much difference is there in cabin noise?

Look forward to hearing from you.
Hey bud, got the powerflow DP and decat, same fit as the Mk7 GTI. I am hoping to do a vid as soon as i get my hands on a gopro

Hey bud, got the powerflow DP and decat, same fit as the Mk7 GTI. I am hoping to do a vid as soon as i get my hands on a gopro

I also have a downpipe and muffler deelte.. sounds great! at iddle and low speed is almost as if you were stock. But once you press de pedal hard.. oh boy, great sound! and dsg pops :D

My intake is also coming my way, and will be remmaping my ECU and they'll check if my TCU can be remapped also.

1.8 tfsi has lots of potential, you won't be dissapointed.

Awesome!

Yes I can now confirm this, after doing 3000 miles in the car I'm really enjoying the engine. For my needs, it has a good balance of economy (which is important for the mileage I do) and power.

Great to see guys like yourselves @STERLING VOID and @jasso86 who have done mods on these. It gives me confidence to do so too in the near future.

Currently looking into exhausts mods where BCS powervalve seems to be at the top of my list. Love the fact it can vary its tone and loudness depending on throttle load unlike other brands. This is only because I find the exhaust just a bit too quiet for my liking.

Looking into a VWR600, purely for some induction/spool noise and not really to gain power. But if there is a more cost effective way of me achieving this, feel free to let me know! Especially as I haven't remapped. I've looked into removing the grill/slats below the stock air filter but no one has reported back any increase in induction noise.

I'm awaiting REVO to release a TCU for the 7-speed S tronics, I'm aware they look ages to release on the 6-speeds so I guess its just a waiting game. I just don't like that manual doesn't give me full control i.e changing gear automatically in kickdown/at redline, so really can't wait to do this!

Regards
SJ

Reactions: Salik Sajid and mister.c.
I just don't like that manual doesn't give me full control i.e changing gear automatically in kickdown/at redline, so really can't wait to do this!
Of all the things a TCU can fix, I don't understand why those two things are a problem. Kick down change is avoided by not pushing the accelerator kick down at the end of the travel - it takes quite a bit of extra force and doesn't happen accidentally. And isn't changing up at redline preferable to the engine bouncing off the rev limiter?

Someone please enlighten me.

Of all the things a TCU can fix, I don't understand why those two things are a problem. Kick down change is avoided by not pushing the accelerator kick down at the end of the travel - it takes quite a bit of extra force and doesn't happen accidentally. And isn't changing up at redline preferable to the engine bouncing off the rev limiter?

Someone please enlighten me.
I agree!

Never had an issue with accidentally engaging kick down, can achieve WOT after a corner no problem without worrying about kick down. The rev limiter is an engine protection system, can't see a real reason for wanting it removed..

I think its just the fact that I feel that in manual mode, it should give me full control to be in whichever gear I want to be in without it requiring to override - just like a manual car does. Maybe its the fact I've always had manuals and the Volvo tip-tronics I did have, allowed the above. And in terms of the rev limiter, I don't want to sound like I go around want to be bouncing off the redline lol - I just dont want it to change gear itself immediately as I go into high rpm in manual mode. And in terms of damage to the engine, unlikely with these modern engines - unless you're bouncing off it for extended periods of time I really can't see you causing damage to the engine and furthermore S-tronics (on the 1.8's in particular) auto change up in manual about 500rpm earlier than the manuals. Even if it allowed for a few seconds to not change up it would make you feel 'more' in control. I agree its not a huge issue its just my opinion, probably just a niggle where I want the car to give me full control in 'manual' mode.

In M mode, the engine revs way past the maximum power point before it changes.

The main fixes with TCU tune seem to be to get the shift points to sane values, and reduce some of delays between user input and gear box response.

The multiple launch control rpm values in APR's tune seem useful for daily driving too.

@pipedaudi @Wondering Soul - After thinking about what you guys said, I decided to give the approach you both mentioned on my way back from work yesterday and I have to say I think you both have valid points and would be happy to go back on my words.

I think my perception was that WOT throttle couldnt be achieved unless you were in kick-down which led me to think I couldn't 'ride' that maximum torque through the lower-mid rpm band thus the gearbox didn't give me the flexibility I wanted from it. But after trying this yesterday, I'm pretty certain now, that WOT (what feels like it) can be achieved just before you press further into kickdown. I guess only a dyno would be able to confirm that.
Thanks to both :wink:

Reactions: Wondering Soul
All about getting to know your car that's all! Going out and driving like you have is the best way to learn how it all works! I found that, as this is my first S-Tronic, I had to learn how to drive the gearbox, not the car :)

Couldn't agree less, I think it also helps when people enlighten you on things you used to put a blind eye to. :)

I've been playing with the launch control on the 1.8T Quattro quite a bit of late. Mainly with a mind to integrate its capabilities into better control of the vehicle for daily driving.

LC is obviously good for improving 0-100 and 1/4 mile times. But, used correctly it also helps with regular driving to overcome the annoying turbo lag / start delay that can make some traffic manoeuvres more difficult.

With quick well timed footwork, you can press the accelerator and then lift the brake before the engine builds excessive RPM/boost to get a nice immediate launch, just as you'd do yourself in a manual when you need immediate power. You can then back off the accelerator to continue accelerating at a road friendly pace. Kind of like a mini-launch without all the ferocity of a full launch.

This is not something you'd use on every take off. Just like you don't launch a manual at full throttle every time. (Well most people don't. :) )

But, it's much smoother than and less risky than rolling into an intersection and having the engine stall for two seconds until it can speed up with sufficient boost to take off like a rocket.

This is why I believe that LC is most useful for small engines with big turbos.

It'd be nice if you didn't need all the prerequisite settings in advance. But, like pressing a clutch and putting a manual into gear in preparation of moving, with practice the [ESP off / S mode / left foot to brake / launch / left foot back to foot rest] ritual becomes second nature.

Reactions: SJ43 and Wondering Soul
Very interesting - I've never really seen the benefit of LC in daily driving but I guess the reasons above definitely seem completely valid - still can't help but have an image in my head of you being the first one off the lights every time though:)
If there was a TCU tune incorporated the feature where it didn't require all the prerequisite settings and could allow you to adjust the max RPM to rev to (through the DIS maybe?) that would be pretty cool and it would increase the usability too. But would probably do no good to the clutch though..

Using LC partially doesn't seem to slip the clutch any more than when doing a medium energy launch with a manual transmission. So as long as it isn't too regular or too dramatic, I can't see it doing much more than dropping clutch life in the same proportions as you'd drop the life of a manual. And this clutch is pretty heavy duty for the 1.8T motor.

I have a 1.4 COD Ultra with 150bhp (supposedly less weight as per the advertisement says but the numbers seem to contradict).

I must admit that the 150bhp is such useable power and that the reviews seem to say that its the engine to go for. Its less tax, less insurance and better MPG(driving style dependent) and if you really get bored remap would put it next to the 1.8 in numbers...

Don't all 1.4 COD engines have 150bhp now? Mine is a 1.4 COD (not Ultra) and it was listed as having 150PS (148bhp...close enough). Though I have seen some A3's with a "TFSI Ultra" badge in the UK...interesting. Topic for another day!

@sj43 - good choice on the 1.8. You will notice the extra power at higher revs for sure - I had the same experience as you when I test drove one. Though if you do take it to higher revs...don't expect great mpg stats!

You probably read my thread about my issues with throttle response on the S-Tronic. In my experience:

From Start/Stop - response is great (rockets off the line...feels like launch control)
Accelerating while coasting between 5mph to 15mph - response is terrible (this causes big issues at roundabouts etc. - using S mode helps)

Audi engineer said it's "pretty much close to normal". You just need to adjust to it really - and use the manual mode if you need quick response.

@pipedaudi good point actually - never thought of it like that.

I agree - my mpg just drops massively from the 40's to the 20's as soon as I have a short spirited drive after a long run. But I guess thats the case with most cars I guess.
Echo your comments about S-tronic - between 5-15mph manual mode also helps alot too. I just want revo to release a TCU tune for it as soon as.

@pipedaudi good point actually - never thought of it like that.

I agree - my mpg just drops massively from the 40's to the 20's as soon as I have a short spirited drive after a long run. But I guess thats the case with most cars I guess.
Echo your comments about S-tronic - between 5-15mph manual mode also helps alot too. I just want revo to release a TCU tune for it as soon as.

I'm sure Revo have a Stage 1 and 2 map for the 1.8 TFSI. DJAlix (member of this forum) has a 1.8 TFSI Saloon which is mapped - in fact I think they used his car to test the map.

Thats correct, but as for the 7-speed S-tronic DSG map - I don't think they've released one yet.

The Revo Stg1 map is way down in power compared to APR's for the Gen3 version of this engine. It's as if they just used the map from the previous model that didn't have the capability of this new engine. I'm waiting for them to update their map to actually take advantage of it, not just in name, but in performance too.

Very true, especially as we seem to run ~200bhp from factory anyway. Why not just get an APR map now then?