A3 8P3 Sportback on PCP - Mod options?

Liam Jones

Reaction score
Hi all, I've been hidden away for sometime now just browsing the forum, trying to get some inspiration for the new A3 8P3 Black Edition Sportback in Ice Silver, with a 1.8tfsi engine underneath.

Bearing in mind the car is on PCP, what are the pro's and con's of a remap being only 1 month in of the plan, and are any remaps better for this situation than others?

At some point i'll upload and share a few pictures of my car!

Thank you guys

Well if the cars less than 3 years old then you have the warranty that will likely to be void if you sstart modding. it's a risk but in book a worthwhile one. you can always have it flashed back to standard. if you use someone like shark, then you buy the sts device. that will put on and remove the map. ideal for a trip to the dealers.

The dealers won't normally care if your horn needs replacing or your radio packs up as that wouldn't be directly affected by a remap. Engine wise though, if your turbo goes or your flywheel is rattling etc. return to standard....quickly.... then go to the dealer.

PCP is irrelevant. it's your car. you can mod it how you want. warranty and pcp aren't anything to do with each other.

If you intend to trade it back in at a later date, then simply return back to standard. the dealers won't want to sell it in a modified state and if you have bolt on extras its often more lucrative to sell them individually anyway.

More often than not, re-mapping these cars means a new replacement clutch, it won't be a problem straight away I doubt but it will significantly reduce the time it has left. so budget for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really need to have a remp that you have the option of returning to stock. Shark Performance have an STS (Self Tuning System) that you can swap between stock map and performance map IF and when the car has to go to the garage. Easy enough to do aswell. Im taking it the car is new. Lots of threads on here about quality of maps etc etc. I've tried a couple of companies and found that the Shark remap gives me exactly what I was after from my S3. And there customer service I feel is 2nd to none which is half the battle.

Shark Performance - Volkswagen Audi Seat Skoda Mercedes BMW Porsche Tuning

Wherever you are there will be a dealer nearby.....even in Scotland now :whistle2: so give them a bell. You wont be disappointed.

Shark Performance have an STS (Self Tuning System) that you can swap between stock map and performance map IF and when the car has to go to the garage. Easy enough to do aswell.

I am right in thinking the ECU is locked down in the newest A3's, If so, how is it possible to 'Self Tune'?

I've been looking heavily at REVO maps, as they offer the most generous gains in both BHP and torque, but the fact you two have both suggested shark, i'm now considering it.

The new A3's are locked but Shark HQ can do the bis on it. I class it as a 'bench' remap as the ECU has to be removed and unlocked. The STS is now there for the ability to swap maps whenever needed.

I am right in thinking the ECU is locked down in the newest A3's, If so, how is it possible to 'Self Tune'?

I've been looking heavily at REVO maps, as they offer the most generous gains in both BHP and torque, but the fact you two have both suggested shark, i'm now considering it.

They had no problem doing my 2012 S3. Even if the cars ECU is locked, after putting it on the bench and removing this feature. it can then be mapped normally via OBD port.

Revo do very good maps and so do shark. Powerwise there's not much in it. it's the way it's delivered. Revo is quite aggressive. shark is smooth.

Its personal choice. the cost of revo however is the deciding factor in my book. I'm really enjoying shark. and for considerably less money. it's much more worth while. it means you have money to spend elsewhere. like on bolt ons...

Isn't PCP the same as a lease in that you don't actually own the car? If so, then anything you do to it which might affect its resale value or may reduce its resale appeal needs their approval, unless you're prepared to put it back to standard before returning it. Is maintenance included in the contract? If so, then they're not going to pay for anything that they're not expecting, eg for 19" tyres instead of 17". If you remap they're not likely to spot it unless the garage tells them and that's only likely to happen if something needs replacing due to the remap. To be sure, you could go for one of those tuning boxes that can be switched back to standard before it goes to the garage.

I'm thinking exactly the same as you since my A3 cabrio will be a company car. I'll probably not change the 17" alloys unless I can get a set of OEM 18's and then I'll probably keep the 17's to put back on before i return the car. Similarly any mods will be sutble and OEM like extended LED lighting, S3 pedals, s-line rear diffuser, chrome tailpipes....