A3 8P3 sportback audio retrofit options

pauladam

Reaction score
Hi,

recently acquired a 2010 A3 sportback (8P3), which has Bose speakers, but a standard concert head (no Bluetooth, DAB etc.)

im looking at options for changing out the head unit with something that will at very least offer DAB (yes, aware there will be antenna work) and hopefully hands free Bluetooth too, I really would like to keep some integration with the DIS and steering controls?

a dream addition would be CarPlay (my last car was a 2017 S4 which had every bell and whistle ..but with lockdown etc... it was an expensive driveway ornament, so I’ve downsized for now)

many moons ago I had a B7 A4 and retrofitted an RNS-E, and did consider this for the A3, but in same breath, my phone is probably a better sat NAV ...so that’s not a key requirement.

I know there’s a bunch of retrofit modules to add the features I’m after, but wanted to explore the options... I.e. different head unit options? Or just adding modules to existing concert head?

what’s folks preferences/experience/recommendations, where to start etc.

happy to be pointed at other posts for reference?

thanks

paul

Aftermarket is best bet these days, as come with numerous options built in, depending where you are, something I can offer, whatsapp me if of interest, number in signature.

Reactions: pauladam
Also with all aftermarket head units you'll lose some info on your DIS as they won't show radio station, that will only appear on the head unit itself. Some people like the info on the dis and some don't care but just a heads up.

In the beginning I wanted my dis back but tbh it doesn't bother me anymore given the featureset is better & more streamlined so to speak, I'm a purist usually but sometimes we have to accept there is something better lol.

Reactions: pauladam and abmat
Same here. Don’t miss not having the station on the dis.

I've got a pioneer unit. You're going to need the connects2 aftermarket leads/controls. This will let you retain the steering wheel controls. Bluetooth works great, apple car play from my gf's phone works great - I have issues with getting android play to work, think I need to upgrade the software or upgrade my phone. I'd suggest reading a round for a decent bluetooth mic as I placed mine up with the map lights and all the other person gets is noise from the outside, so I've had to drop the mic into the cabin.

I'm still looking into speaker upgrades

Thanks for your replies folks - Ive pinged a message into Dynamic Sounds as a starter - I know its gonna be a DIY job with the lockdown - but Im cool with that.
Looks like some fun to be had with connectors....seeing I have the BOSE speakers etc - will see what they say - if anyone has any other hints and tips that would be appreciated?