A3 8P TDI - S3 Replica Offset & Lowering

matt_cunningham1985

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Apologies, I'm a newbie and couldn't find a threat I thought this query should go in - please move it if one already exists!

I bought a 2006 A3 TDI Sport 2.5 years ago and bought replica S3 alloys at the same time on eBay after the seller confirming they'd fit perfectly. When I put the new alloys on, the offset was much bigger than the standard 17" rims. The rears scuffed very slightly on the screw head for the arch liner which, when flattened, solved that problem, however, the fronts protrude very slightly passed the line of the wheel arch. The car sits fine at the back but is far too high at the front so I'm looking at replacing the standard springs with S Line springs but I'm concerned they'll just scuff the bodywork.

I've posted some photos below to let you see the issue with the fronts (the wheels are turned VERY slightly making it look a bit worse than it is).

HELP!

Matt

Front Offset
Front Offset 2

Rears are ok and sit really nicely...

Rear Offset

Help!

Matt

Did you have a complete wheel alignment done when you changed your wheels? I.e caster and camber? When I changed my wheels from 17's to 18s mine also looked like they stood out, I had a complete 4 wheel set up from quick fit, think it was about £50ish and the wheels sat mint and the car drove completely different, I couldn't believe the difference it made

I didn't actually - would it make that much of a difference? They currently sit proud of the wheel arch by about 2-3mm... I'm getting new rear discs and pads in the next couple of weeks so will get a full alignment done at the same time. Can't do any harm!

It may make a difference mate, I remember mine sitting strange, once I had the set up everything was sweet

What is the width and offset of the rims? Should be stamped on them somewhere.
I don't think a wheel alignment is going to do much there...

Right well @nooone is probably correct, they will be bigger/wider than genuine ones so a wheel alignment may do nothing to the way they stick out

@nooone @Scott_Crossley Is it possible to change the camber on a front wheel drive A3? If it's possible, then a couple of mm would probably do the trick! I don't do many motorway miles in this car as it's my commuter and my drive is only 15 minutes in to Edinburgh - so slightly uneven tyre wear wouldn't really be an issue for me...

@nooone These are the exact wheels I bought: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330889543185?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

18X8
ET 45
PCD 5X112
C.B 57.1

They don't look too bad on the car (see below) and don't rub at the moment - I'm just nervous of lowering them. I'm looking at putting OEM S Line springs and dampers on the front to only lower it slightly so hoping it isn't an issue...

New Font End 1

18x8 ET45 is perfect fitment. Your wheels when straight are inside the arch, it just looks like they aren't because of the arch gap. Lower it.