A3 8P Cruise Control problematic retrofit.

Widg

A3 8p Mk2 Sport. Bought with issues. Giving TLC.
Reaction score
Hi,
Fitted cruise control to my car yesterday using the superb "how to" by Avus and Sijones, and coded it in but will not work no matter what I try.
Hoping one of you knowledgable geniuses can spot what I have done wrong.

The car is TDI SPORT 8P A5 Mk2 2004 with three prong steering wheel with only DSG flappy paddles.

The steering control board is: 8P0 953 549A
The Cruise Control stalk is : 8P0 953 513B
The wire for pin 13, black plug, definitely exists

The Engine module has been updated and has the "G" in the ID Code.
The Steering module has been updated to include the cruise control.

In Engine Module 01 - Group 06, the binaries show the cruise on/off and active/not active; other controls (resume etc.,) don't seem to make a difference.
Brake lights and switch are working according to the binary output.

When driving, no position or button makes a difference, even the pull towards and click up behaviour (and variants,) that other members say works with some modules. just nothing.

Have hunted the forums for hints but no joy.

Have I bought the wrong stalk or is it faulty?

Please ask if you need more information or printouts.
In hope...

Gah! - found the answer. Second hand stalk from Ebay was not assembled properly. One slider on circuit board not located correctly so sending dodgy signals. All back together and working well :welcoming:
Thanks Abmat for your suggestion.:icon thumright:

Reactions: abmat and samisnake
Did you fit this to an 8P ?

What year has it been fitted into ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you fit this to an 8P ?

What year has it been fitted into ?

Yeh as from my first post:
The car is TDI SPORT 8P A5 Mk2 2004 with three prong steering wheel with only DSG flappy paddles.

Glad this was just a poorly re-assembled switch switch :)

That’s a massive win I bet. How much did it cost you to do ? I’d like to do it to my 55 plate 8P depending on cost.

Also, is it possible to buy just the control stork used from an a3 that came fitted with it, then fit it into an older model like mine ?

Spot on. That’s great thank you. Looks very easy to follow.

What else is needed? As that’s the only thing in the guide I couldn’t see from a quick wip through.

What else is needed? As that’s the only thing in the guide I couldn’t see from a quick wip through.

all depends on your car.
eg. early cars needed a wire running to the ecu, whether your steering wheel module supports cruise (iirc if you have steering wheel controls youre good to go), then the stalks and the lower cowl, and a way to code it in like vcds/obdeleven/vcp etc.

when i did it, i just bought the stalk for around £27, dremeled the original lower cowl and coded it in.

the cost for you would depend on whether you have the tools to remove the wheel and airbag (cheap tools), how much you can get the stalks for, whether you need to replace the module, whether youre handy with a dremel or not, and whether you have the ability to code it in.

Ok brill. Thank you.

Where did you find the stork at that price ? I am seeing a lot 10x that amount. ( admit I might be looking at the wrong thing )

Reading through all the comments on the retro fit guide is useful as many members have solved and shared pitfall issues. I would recommend getting your steering column apart as a practice run and to get the part code of the ECU and check wire "13" exists in the black plug before buying a cruise control stalk. I risked buying an indicator/cruise stalk off Ebay with a part code close to the code for the ECU. It cost 35 quid . I have no idea if I was just lucky that they were compatible but after repairing the stalk, everything worked perfectly.

part number youre looking for is 8P0953513B. there are also D and F variants. the D is the same as B, but with slightly different images on them. F has slightly different high beam usage.
on a 55 plate, youll want 8P0953513B

i got mine cheap as there was a 15% off code on ebay at the time, and the part wasnt that expensive to begin with. atm the cheapest 8P0953513B is £44 on ebay

Ok brill. Thank you.

Where did you find the stork at that price ? I am seeing a lot 10x that amount. ( admit I might be looking at the wrong thing )

Try Ebay search on "audi a3 8p cruise control" looking at about 50 quid at the mo. item number 273755493871 is 35 quid but you may have to replace the indicator stalk with your old one. (assuming the part number fits ...)