A3 8P 2.0TDi Plastic Engine Cover Removal

BradHatton

Reaction score
Quick thread, don't tell me off because i have already searched and not found the answers im looking for specific to this part.

I want to remove the engine cover as it is going to get flocked tomorrow, i have taken the center part of the cover off, but left with the silver outer surround.

I notice there is some form of bolt or something holding the cover in at the back of it, but other than that i presume it's just clips?

here is a couple of pictures showing you the stage im at.

Any help appreciated,

IMG_6548_zpsd570b0e3.jpg

IMG_6549_zpsc45733c5.jpg

Thanks

No need to take middle part off, unscrew them bolts and just pull it off, it's held on by rubber grommets

No need to take middle part off, unscrew them bolts and just pull it off, it's held on by rubber grommets

Thanks buddy, just what i needed to know.

But i've split them as the centre part is being flocked grey & the outer is being flocked black, so saves the bloke doing it a job :)

I can only find the one bolt, am i right in saying that, or not looking hard enough?

Brad, what you need to do is......slacken the nut that you can see at the rear of the cover, or take it off if you want. Remove the dipstick and the oil cap. Then with both hands, grip the sides of the cover and pull up sharply. Be brave. You will find that the cover is only held on by two posts in push-in rubber grommets, plus the rear forked piece (also in rubber washers) that you can see. Good luck.

No worries mate, I think there's only one as far as I remember, near the top of the cover, unscrew that, then u pull the rest off, just pull it one corner at a time

Brad, what you need to do is......slacken the nut that you can see at the rear of the cover, or take it off if you want. Remove the dipstick and the oil cap. Then with both hands, grip the sides of the cover and pull up sharply. Be brave. You will find that the cover is only held on by two posts in push-in rubber grommets, plus the rear forked piece (also in rubber washers) that you can see. Good luck.

Thankyou, but i can't see why i would need to remove the oil cap? i have already removed the bit of the engine cover that surrounded the oil cap.

And, how do i go about removing the dipstick, do i just pry it up with a flat blade?

Also, i presume when i come to re-fit it, it's just the same actions but the other way around, ie it will pop straight back in.. Or will it take a good whacking? haha..

Thanks!

You don't need to do any of that, just pull the cover upwards at the front and slide it out. No need for oil cap or dipstick removal.

Brad, glad you got it off. I did not see that the oil cap grommet had already been removed. I always pull out the dipstick to save any drama if it gets bent or bashed when I do my strong-man act. Here is a tip. Before you replace the cover, smear a little oil around the push-in grommets, so the next time you pull off the engine cover, it will come off nice and smooth.

Brad, glad you got it off. I did not see that the oil cap grommet had already been removed. I always pull out the dipstick to save any drama if it gets bent or bashed when I do my strong-man act. Here is a tip. Before you replace the cover, smear a little oil around the push-in grommets, so the next time you pull off the engine cover, it will come off nice and smooth.

Haha thanks bud, appreciate the help!

This is reminiscent of the famous blue trimmed engine bay lol.

LOL get angry and use force it comes off so easily you dont have to unscrew the top bolt either it slides in n out of that as long as the rubber mounts are pulled off

That rear fixing is a slide mount. There is no need to undo it.

There is also no need to remove cap or dipstick.

The grommets are flexible for this purpose. Just pull the cover up from the front, and slide it off the rear mount. When refitting, slide rear in first, then pop front clips in, push it down, and the grommets will magically re seat them selves correctly.

That rear fixing is a slide mount. There is no need to undo it.

There is also no need to remove cap or dipstick.

The grommets are flexible for this purpose. Just pull the cover up from the front, and slide it off the rear mount. When refitting, slide rear in first, then pop front clips in, push it down, and the grommets will magically re seat them selves correctly.

Thank you :)