A3 8P 1.9 TDI 2006 Lowering!

alexmarin

Reaction score
Hi again peeps.

Plenty of threads that helped me out, but it doesn't compare having your own thread with specifics.

My 8P needs lowering. I'm currently on standard 18" S-Line wheels, and I'm thinking of lowering it.

I don't have a massive budget, and I'm not willing to spend loads so I'm looking for the cheap alternatives. I was initially considering 35mm but a few looks around made me decide that the lowering is not so major so I'm not going to spend money on something that won't make a difference to the looks so I'm considering 45-50mm.

Anyone experienced these springs? http://www.awesomegti.com/car/audi/...ack-cabrio-05-03-typ-8p-2wd-tiefe-low-version

Are they too low? How much headache will they give me? Will I have any major issues going across bumps? Do I need anything else like shock absorbers to go along with it?

I'm not too good at cars, specifically when it comes to performance, but I can appreciate good looks as long as the function won't suffer. I'm aware that money = better looks and performance from better things like coilovers, but that's for future plans.

This is ride as it stands atm.:

Attachments

• IMG_20140919_190339.jpg
    IMG_20140919_190339.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 4,337
On the S-line model the H&R 50mm springs will give a round a 30-35mm drop. There's quite a few different threads about them and I also think there's a few pictures kicking about with them fitted.

How many miles have your current dampers covered?

Damian @ DPM Performance

Hi Damian. Yes, just the wheels are, not the car itself. I wouldn't think so.. I believe everything else is standard.

The car's got 136k on the clock, and I'm unaware of the dampers being replaced.

So if you've got future plans of getting coilovers, what's the thinking behind getting springs?

Surely it would make more sense just to save up for coilovers to start with, then you'd be able to make your car sit exactly how you want it.

Good point. Well I'm quite indecisive at the moment. I want the car to be lower but not feel too uncomfortable, and also for a good price. I am probably asking for too much, and although I'd prefer coilovers, for this budget I know springs are more reliable and comfortable?

What budget coilovers would you go for that won't give me headache?

End of the day, the decision is down to you but there's been quite a few people on here that go for springs, then aren't happy with the ride height, end up taking them off and eventually buying coilovers which obviously the long, more expensive way to do things. Hence the reason I always suggest coilovers rather than springs.

When you say 'budget', what sort of price do you have in mind? Up to £500 or less than this?

While I appreciate that, I'm quite aware of the cons... I believe 50mm would do. My question is if I will suffer due to the springs being too rough, etc.. to be honest I just spent around 500 for MOT, changing arm brackets (?) and wheel tracking and balance so I'm trying to stay away from spending too much in the next few months as I only bought the car a little over a month ago.

I had a look around and unless I'm going for budget FKs which is not worth it for coilovers, then I believe the best option would be springs. Budget would still have to remain close to £200.

And my main curiosity, how bad is it if I get £200 worth of 50mm Eibach or H&R Springs ?

With that mileage I wouldn't even consider doing the 50mm springs alone.

It's all down to budget really but for the money the JOM kit is a good choice and very popular.

Damian @ DPM Performance

Hi Alex,

I've got FK Street coilovers on my 2006 Sportback with a 50mm drop all round, though im getting the front dropped more. They look nice, the ride is ok, not as smooth as original sport suspension but I wouldn't expect it to be.

What I will say though as a word of warning if your wheels are 225/18/40 ona ET45 offset you will get some rubbing over bumps, where the car bottoms out a bit, and if you want people sitting on the rear seats (or heavy items in the boot) be prepared for rubbing.

I've only got rubbing on the back however, the fronts have been fine.

This is what its like on the rear at the mo.

IMG 5789sm