A3 3.2 vs 8L S3

paul_b

Reaction score
Looking at used prices the 3.2 isn't that much more than the previous shape S3. Which is the better car?

Or will I get two different answers depending on whether I ask this in the 8L or 8P forums ;)

Budget is 10-15k tops, after which the M3 starts to look like the obvious choice.

paul_b said:
Looking at used prices the 3.2 isn't that much more than the previous shape S3. Which is the better car?

There was a thread that discussed this just recently, a quick search in the 8L section should turn it up.

paul_b said:
Or will I get two different answers depending on whether I ask this in the 8L or 8P forums ;)

Very, very likely.

MateIi have been looking too..
Was going for M3 then looked into 3.2 s line BUT i Io a lot of miles and YES the M3 is a much better car sounds lovely looks gorgeous but it drinks fuel as does the A3 3.2 and in the real world is only slightly faster..
For me it's waying up the cost of fuel v the gains..

I for now am sticking with the S3 8l, saving some money then buying the new S3 which when chipped will easy out perform both cars! and looks newer and sharper yet still when driven normally will return 30-34 MPG..

Not sure that helps,

I would own a 2.0TFSI before the 3.2 and in FWD only!

the 2.0t is much more tunable plus you lose a lot of power form the quattro - its only usefull i think in the S3

I have two friends with new S3`s and they get very similar mpg to me in the 3.2 (25 tops) so I think you would have to drive the S3 like like Ms Daisy to get anywhere near 34???...Maybe I`m wrong???:huh:

The New S3 and 3.2 cant be much appart in normal driving. I see 33+ on a trip, but my normal kiddy run and commute rarely sees more than 25.

Out of the 2 cars though the new chassis on the 8P is far superior to the old 8L chassis, so in theory even in S3 guise the newer 3.2 car in less sporty trim should be a good match, although s-line is fairly firm anyway.

3.2 sounds nice and if you look around you'll find a nice spec as well.

daz2347 said:
MateIi have been looking too..
Was going for M3 then looked into 3.2 s line BUT i Io a lot of miles and YES the M3 is a much better car sounds lovely looks gorgeous but it drinks fuel as does the A3 3.2 and in the real world is only slightly faster..
For me it's waying up the cost of fuel v the gains..

I for now am sticking with the S3 8l, saving some money then buying the new S3 which when chipped will easy out perform both cars! and looks newer and sharper yet still when driven normally will return 30-34 MPG..

Not sure that helps,
An M3 is more than slightly faster than a A3 3.2.I beat a A3 3.2 in my 330 ci and its nowhere near as quick as my mates M3.
3.2 S-Line wins for me out of the two.

I think the answer depends on what you want the car for :zen:

Both cars are awesome in different ways

S3 is superb and can be modded as you wish

the 3.2 has a beautiful engine which is equally awesome, but forget modding it cos there is nothing out there fore them

Pays your money and takes your choice. In reality the S3 may well have a better resale value because it is an S3 and the 3.2 is inthe highest tax class (not that that matters to be honest as the diff is a couple of tanks of petrol)

If you get a 3.2 for 15k it will more than likely be a pre 06 plate and therefore be to old ( like mine) for the top tax group:) Just taxed mine this month...£205 for the year! Has been the only time I`m glad its slightly older!:yes:

i am in EXACTLY the same situation as the OP paulB and decided to go for the 3.2 V6

it has and extra 20 bhp or so on the 8L S3, around 50lbs more torque, quicker on the 0-60 and of course as mentioned in an earlier posts above, its a newer shape/chassi altogether which looks a WHOLE lot more better than the previous one, i reckon they'd drink about the same with my driving and both have quattro too so the 3.2 is a winner for me.

it just looks better in terms of exterior and interior
im sure the engine and car in general will be in good nick too as its a fairly new car (came out 2003, yours will be newer as you can afford a 2004-2005 model)

oh and i do like the roar that the V6 gives

of course as mentioned, the engine is not as tunable as the S3's and that i think is the ONLY thing the 8L S3 has on the 3.2, its turbo

you can do a little to the 3.2 (exaust system, performance filter, remap) but if you wanna get serious, just turbocharge/supercharge that bad boy, expensive but then it will own all

:arco: the 3.2 V6 does just sound superb and it pulls effortlessly all the way

mitch78 said:
Hah! I wish!

On a long motorway run, driving EXTREMELY delicately, then maybe. I've managed it once or twice. In real world, normal driving I'm getting more like 24-26mpg, which I still think is pretty good with the sort of power it's putting out.

The best I got out of a tank was 310miles. Although most of that I was cheesing it. It would be interesting to go through an entire tank and not thrash it at all, I recon I could get over 400 miles.

On a long run up north recently I got 370 from my 3.2,however that was cruising @ 70 ish for most of the tank as I was pretty ill @ the time-I would think an S3 could get 400 if driven the same way,but like I posted earlier the ones I know of generally average 24-25 same as my car in normal use.:sorry:

killa_z said:
i am in EXACTLY the same situation as the OP paulB and decided to go for the 3.2 V6

it has and extra 20 bhp or so on the 8L S3, around 50lbs more torque, quicker on the 0-60 and of course as mentioned in an earlier posts above, its a newer shape/chassi altogether which looks a WHOLE lot more better than the previous one, i reckon they'd drink about the same with my driving and both have quattro too so the 3.2 is a winner for me.

it just looks better in terms of exterior and interior
im sure the engine and car in general will be in good nick too as its a fairly new car (came out 2003, yours will be newer as you can afford a 2004-2005 model)

oh and i do like the roar that the V6 gives

of course as mentioned, the engine is not as tunable as the S3's and that i think is the ONLY thing the 8L S3 has on the 3.2, its turbo

you can do a little to the 3.2 (exaust system, performance filter, remap) but if you wanna get serious, just turbocharge/supercharge that bad boy, expensive but then it will own all

Pretty much the same as above word for word.

Was looking at the older S3 but I feel it's looking just a little dated now plus when selling it on in 2-3 years time I'm hoping the value will be slightly higher than the S3 (maybe not)

Sound of the V6 is spot on too imo

Was going to change the 3.2 for a new S3 this year but not enough difference in the change for the dosh IMO. The old S3 is great but finding a low mileage mint one will still cost a lot. The 3.2 is a great car and being an early one it won't get stung group "G" RFL of £400. Fuel economy from reading forums is the same as a modded old shape S3. The M3's are good money too but findingan early one thats had all the recalls done (inc the very important bottem end ones) and running in service done on time (to keep the extended warranty valid if it has one) becomes a headache and when I was looking there seemed a lot of un looked after examples out there.