A3 3.2 V6 V A3 TDI [Costs]

A3_Rider

Reaction score
Thought I'd give a cost breakdown for an A3 3.2 V6 compared with the TDI, does help with decision making.

Eye watering too :scared2:

costs1.jpg

Nice comparison, but there two totally different animals. Given the choice i know which one I'd have... the diesel just doesn't give you the same satisfaction.

it dont bother me,i knew what i was getting into with the 3.2,its actually better than i expected on fuel

By anychance sir are you a accountant? This is something my manager would do.

Very good comparison though :respekt:

Very good presentation indeed, but I still won't be looking to swap to an oil burner. Besides, mines pre 2006 so only £260 tax. It's all pretty obvious though, if you do high mileage don't buy a v6 and expect it to be cheap!

The dirty derv is boring its got to be V6 all the way. I don't do enough miles to worry about getting 20/25mpg.

Sorry but statistics can read what you want them too.
You did 18000 miles on £5856 of petrol so thats 32.5p a mile.
I ran a 3.2 for 4 years and it ave 27mpg so thats 27x32.5p = £8.77 per gallon or £1.93 ltr

You need to find a cheaper petrol station.

Lets say your TDi averaged 40mpg. You spent £5232 on fuel to do 47919miles so thats 11p a mile or £4.40p a gallon ie 96p ltr, nearly a £1 a gallon less for Diesel in your area than petrol ?

Last edited:
My V6 rarely goes above 20-21mpg, currently averages at 15-16mpg which brings the litre cost around 1.3-1.4.

My TDI always gave mid to high 50s, for arguments sake lets say the cost is 150% more for the TDI in fuel, it would still result in a significant difference, this is all based on my situation and variable factors and is there for general use. Statistics are indeed, what you read into them.

Well first thing to do is get the 3.2 fixed, i could get 33mpg on a good run. My regular run was 190 miles M25-M11-All-A14-B1065 Sussex to north Norfolk and if It went under 30mpg i was ****** off. Cruise was always set at 85mph. Running around including the 20min traffic jam getting home most days was usually better than 26mpg.

I could live with the 3.2 if I was getting above 25 with mixed driving. Would'nt be much difference then from my 8l S3.

get the famous 3.2 software update from audi, give me better fuel economy by about 5mpg, I went from 21mpg avg to 26mpg avg (on the dis) and thats driving like I stole it

I need this update, I'm assuming it's free. I seem to have this dreaded miss around 2k, and it's due to be booked in to have the coil packs checked on re-call. Hopefully it might push the mpg up cos I only get 25 mpg max around town, normally 19-20.

Is there anyway to tell if you are already running with the updated software. I got my coils replaced at the start of jan and Glasgow Audi didn't mention anything about an update to the software.

im getting average 18mpg and 31 on a motorway run,i drive hard a lot of the time,mine has had an AMD map on it since 2008and i run v-power or tesco 99 only,im quite happy with the mpg but i never bought it for the mpg,i bought it a; because i was told to grow up and jayne liked it b; because its less "in yer face" than my previous cars and c;i wanted the noise if i " had to grow up" i still wanted some theatre

Is there anyway to tell if you are already running with the updated software. I got my coils replaced at the start of jan and Glasgow Audi didn't mention anything about an update to the software.
I only learned about the update from this forum, I haven't spoken to Audi about it yet. Apparently sometimes they're quite reluctant for some reason. The easy way to find out if you have the stutter around 2k, is to just cruise in 4th around the 2k mark and see if the car misses. Mine seems to do it just below. I never noticed to start off with cos I don't often sit that low in the revs.

joke of the day free and audi in the same sentance

most dealerships dont know the update exists let alone let you have it for free

That bodes well for when I ask about it then. Oh well, if they can't help then I'll just have to get a remap!

Before you go in to get the coilpacks done ask if they have the update outlined in this post (if they dont make them get it in)

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3...elp-software-update-equivelent-vw-6463-a.html

Then get them to do it at the same time as the coil packs will prob cost £50 ish to get done but worth every penny, some people argue that a remap on a 3.2 is not worth it although many r32 owners claim an extra 25bhp from the right remap. I am a little sceptical about that from an NA engine.

Can you tell from this if my 3.2 has had the update.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine Labels: 022-906-032-BDB.lbl
Part No SW: 022 906 032 CB HW: Bas isX 3
Component: MOTRONIC ME7.1.1 5604
Revision: 00000000 Serial number: AUX7Z0C8FN903C
Coding: 0000178
Shop #: WSC 06435 000 00000
VCID: 4D9AECC2ADB9

No fault code found.
Readiness: 0110 1101

There is no way a remap helps the car at all, besides maybe enhancing the already smooth delivery. If you were to get an exhaust+remap you would be lucky to see 10bhp imo.

Now adding a turbo...:footy:but the cost just isn't worth it.