a3 3.2 v6 - how to modify exhaust CHEAP!!

marwayg

Reaction score
Hi guys, just bought 3.2 v6 (2003) ... im completely new to modifying cars.
I want to get something done (cheaply) to my exhaust to make it sound better but not roar 24/7 even when cruising etc.

I dont want whole exhaust changes, prehaps end box's?
dont know if i can change the car seperately ONLY...

Need help... any suggestions? (rememeber its got to be cheap ... talking less than 200 for a good mod)

Cheers in advance! :)

Well not quite £200, but when I had my 3.2 I went to MIJ in walsall and they fitted me a custom backbox for £300. Wasn't too loud and te car sounded really nice.

Ring a milltek supplier and look at the options of parts available. You could probably buy just thd back box and add to it later. It would be a far better option than a cheap custom company.

Steer clear of Milltek..It "WILL" boom. I know a couple of 3.2 owners who went that route and took them off again. One of them was poor old V6Pete... I eventually went for a Remus back box. Beautifully made in S/S, double what you want to pay but you get what you pay for and it gave a brilliant V6 burble and howled like a superbike when you really floored it. Quiet in normal use and no boooooming :)

Audi2101115.jpg

Remember the V6 does not have a separate back box so you will need to cut and fit a new one.

Cheapest mod would be go to a custom exhaust place and have the centre silencer removed by having a straight piece of pipe fitted instead.

ahhh thanks a lot for the replies.
How much roughly would it cost to get centre silencers removed and do you know what the result sound is like?

@paddy.... i like the idea of the remus exhaust ... does it make a difference to the BHP by any chance?

When you say BOOMING... is that another way of saying it backfires and makes a POP sound (now and again) ??

Thanks guys! really helping me :)

Just checked, A3 3.2 doesnt have a flapper :(

Can anybody clarify what is meant by booming? is it the backfire you get with modified focus ST's (with the POP and bang sound?)

Just checked, A3 3.2 doesnt have a flapper :(

Can anybody clarify what is meant by booming? is it the backfire you get with modified focus ST's (with the POP and bang sound?)

No, more like that heavy low bass. Not nice sounding though

Booming is like a resonating through out the car. Whats this flapper thing? Do you mean the flap[ that shuts across one tail pipe at lower revs ?

If so then this is it on the 3.2.

backboxstd.jpg

Its a valve actuated by a vacuum pipe that lifts a flap on the rear tail pipe. its easy to disconnect the valve linkage from the tail pipe but dont forget you will then need to tie the lifter up to keep the flap open. You can see the bracket where my lifter was fitted

This also shows where you have to cut the box off to fit a Remus

This the Remus box which has no lifter bracket or flap

P271109_1456.jpg

Last edited:
Thats it mate. Cheap easy mod to get great noise!

ahhh thats great!!
So just to clarify, i take it to my garage person who looks after my cars, and tell him to open up the flapper to allow both exhausts to be in use at any amounts of revs?
and he will just do it? and then there will be a difference in sound?? (what difference in sound will there be - just to clarify?)
and wont cause any problems to the car at all?

Many thanks for the replies guys! :)

No problem doing it.... is it worth it ? It takes 5 mins so for the cost give it a try., just unhook the lifter from the flap and cable tie the flap "up" via the loop the lifter used to lift it. No problem to the car, most cars dont have it anyway.

youtube 'flapper mod r32' I cant listen at work so cant find it, but there are a few before and after, though its most different driving. You will get a nicer, more audiable sound when driving slower

Buy an intake with your £200

Not a good idea on the 3.2 no power gain as the std set up works fine + awful noise. V6 Pete had one, took it off and sold it to Sarah who took it off and sold it on again..

anyway..for £80 he could have my S3 vents :)

Agree with Jules, any noise gain from the exhaust flap will be on the road and in the car..

Last edited:
lol, thanks... i might give it a look in a bit and see if i can locate the flapper on the exhaust.

@paddy, from your picture is it the bit where the left exhaust is about to meet the box? (not the long metal thing stickign out)...
i might try do it in a bit .... will update back on here with results.

not going to mess about with intakes as do not want to touch the engine parts (due to past experience of problems with VW GTi)

yeahhhh i am going to give the flapper mod a try later on and see if i can do it.

Paddy, is it the bit on the left exhaust pipe near where the pipe meets the box? (not the long metal prong thing)?

I will give it a shot later on and update back on here!

Cheers

No its not the breather pipe. Look at pic one here the top hat is the lifter..the rod out the other enf hooks on to the flap, disconnect the rod and tie a cable tie to the pointy on the flap where the rod was connected on the exhaust then tie the flap open as if the rod was pulling on it. all this is on the top of the left hand tail pipe so you will need to drop the back box a bit to access it.

Winston's Own TT Roadster Page

oh right ok. i see.
ive had a look and this is what mine looks like... cant get to it personally so need to take it to garage this week.

156ag0k.jpg

11jq2ci.jpg

2zz7ugx.jpg

Also, dont know if any of you have heard: on the r32 (2007) when the flapper mod is done, it reduces torque at lower revs!!!
Do u know if this will happen on the A3?

Thanks, I had a look and its hard to get to!
Probably will take it to garage in couple days and get them to reach it.

Look at these pictures: is that the flap there? or is it as u said: on top of the left tail pipe?

11jq2ci.jpg
and also.... ive heard that on the r32 Mk5... the flapper mod caused the torques at the lower rev range to be reduced quite a lot... is this true with the audi also?

2zz7ugx.jpg

You are almost there !! All you have to do is unhook that wire/rod from the flap lever sticking out that thimble shape bit and cable tie the little lever/arm in the up position, probably at 3 o'clock position instead of its 6 o'clock position its at now. give it a try. It will not effect torque, you may not even notice any difference in noise. I promise you it makes no difference to performance at all. I ran my car for 3 years with it unhooked before i put a Remus on it and that dosnt even have the flap. If you are not happy then cut the cable tie and hook the rod back up, nothing lost :)

i came across this thread an thought brilliant the flapper/butterfly mod but iv been under my car and i dont have it on my exhaust, i have a standard system on my 2006 3.2 sportback does anybody know why i would not have it when the one above clearly does? is it possible they removed it for later models?

It is possible that the newer models dont have the flappers. Ive heard from a couple of a3 owners mentioning that they dont have flappers.

I tried the flapper mod on my 2004 at the weekend, but changed it back as it seemed to make no difference at all. It's so easy to do though that if you do have it it's worth a try.

Right, im very confused!!
Ive had a look at my exhaust properly. Noticed the pin in the little thimble thing. I also noticed that i was able to push the thimble up and down. It was already at the 3 oclock position with the pin already in it. and got a torch and looked inside the left exhaust and noticed that the flap was already open. So i pushed the thimble thing to the 12 oclock position with the pin still inside the hole - and the flap inside the exhaust closed. So now im very confused! Is the flap on my car already open ? is the job i wanted to do already been done without me doing anything and without realising for a whole year?!

this is what i can see right now....

9h2h7d.jpg

35hhfyx.jpg

Is my flap already open?! and if i want to close it i have to push the thimble up :\ what if i want to close it permanently? i even took the car for a drive and tried revving it at standstill to get the flap to close......
Any ideas what is going on? :\ and how to bring it back to standard?

That's what mine was like, so I disconnected it and tried it in several positions with no real difference, which is why I clipped it back in. Perhaps it just wasn't working and was open already? Oh well, it's not something I'm going to pay for to get fixed.

its a vacuum controlled pump, it only works when the car is running.

I've just tried it on my 3.2 but not really made much difference but now I want. I mean need something louder like yesterday

Get yourself on R32.OC if you want to tune the 3.2 V6 engine and exhaust

I'm now havin the middle silencer removed anyone else done this on their 3.2

Will look into that :) I'm in 2 minds now. I don't want it to quiet. Myt go cat back.. Any recommendations?

Steer clear of Milltek..It "WILL" boom. I know a couple of 3.2 owners who went that route and took them off again. One of them was poor old V6Pete... I eventually went for a Remus back box. Beautifully made in S/S, double what you want to pay but you get what you pay for and it gave a brilliant V6 burble and howled like a superbike when you really floored it. Quiet in normal use and no boooooming :)

Audi2101115.jpg

I want to order one of these, Remus said lost instructions so cant build it, will a 2.0 FSI fit, or who wants to sell there Remus to meeeeee

Remus no longer do this exhaust, does the 2.0 FSI fit it looks the same

Booming is like a resonating through out the car. Whats this flapper thing? Do you mean the flap[ that shuts across one tail pipe at lower revs ?

If so then this is it on the 3.2.

backboxstd.jpg

Its a valve actuated by a vacuum pipe that lifts a flap on the rear tail pipe. its easy to disconnect the valve linkage from the tail pipe but dont forget you will then need to tie the lifter up to keep the flap open. You can see the bracket where my lifter was fitted

This also shows where you have to cut the box off to fit a Remus

This the Remus box which has no lifter bracket or flap

P271109_1456.jpg

thanks but need a new box as mine is on the way out, besides i have always had a sports box, can't believe my choices are limited on a 3.2

thanks anyway