A3 3.2- Things to look for...

youstolemyname

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am on the verge of buying a 54 plate 3.2 Quattro with 55k on the clock. What sort of things should I be checking out while inspecting the car and what common things can go wrong?

I have test driven it twice already, it is bags of fun compared to the 325i I currently share with my girlfriend.

Sadly it has no cruise, reverse sensors or iPod connector. How costly/easy are they to retrofit?

Thanks for any advice, hopefully I will be an Audi owner soon :)

There is a similar thread about the 3.2 which may help.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3...s/103749-views-a3-3-2-v6-dsg.html#post1063496

Cruise, reverse sensors etc are all easy retro fit and there are a few guys on here 1Wheelonly and NHN who are ace retrofitters!

As said on the other thread, check its got full service history, DSG oil has been changed etc etc.

Good luck and sure you will love it, I adore mine!

Thanks for the quick reply. Sadly it's a non-dsg version :( Less to go wrong though eh.

The garage have said they will service it and give the haldex oil a change as that is due at 60k I believe? Comes with 12 month warranty too so any teething problems should be fine.

Only issues I have are:

Advisory on last MOT- but no advisory slip. Waiting for garage to come back to me on that one

Only has Symphony v1 stereo so no iPod connection- quoted £170+VAT for a fitting and the player itself will not read MP3s :ohmy:

Calipers have a horrid white fuzz on them. Garage say they will try and clean it off but no guarantees :(

Stickered up at £7.5k with 55k on the clock, fair price?

what other extras does it have? and is it a Sport or S-Line?

be glad it has a double din headunit. you can swap sat nav into it for around £500 if you don't want the latest version and are willing to do a little work yourself. you could do the iPod at the same time

12 months warranty if worth quite a bit, some peace of mind. Is it a Dealership or just a garage?? If its a manual, check there is no clutch slippage etc.

You need to know what the advisory note is unless the garage is willing to re MOT it. If you know where it was already done, you could always ring them for details on the advisory note.

As said, contact one of the above, NHN is in Italy at the mo, but both can retro fit, they will give you an idea of prices. Depends where you are though in the country lol

Sure the callipers will clean up fine, sure a wire brush will do the trick! Whilst they are being done, paint them!!!

What model is it?? Sport, S Line etc?? Look on Piston Heads/Auto Trader, they will give an idea on prices. Mileage sounds ok so not too bad a price with a warranty, but do your homework.

Looks slightly overpriced to me although you'll be paying for the dealer safety net if anything goes wrong and also warranty (check exactly how comprehensive it is though) - i'm also on the lookout for one similar to that one so would also be interested if anybody can list a few bullet points of key things to look out for

I used to peruse this site a good few years ago and may find myself back here via Porsche and Landrover!

Edited to add that maybe i should update my sig!!!

Looks cheap to me!!! A decent MK3 VR6 is 4k!!!

MOT came back as front disc. Garage say they will look at during pre handover service, changing haldex oil too and de-badging it. Off tonight to sort out paperwork. Very pleased with my new toy!

Well done mate! Watch the front discs they are pricey for O.E.M.

Thanks all. Think I may splurge a few bob on an ipod connector of some kind. Any recommendations?

Don't bother and get RNS-E would be my tip :)

RNS-E is ace but if funds are limited then try an Ipod connection. But if funds allow, get the RNS-e Retro fitted!

RNS-E sell ur g/f to one of ur mates for the night or summit.

looking about £500+ fitting for the RNS-E unit then? If not, other option the local garage quoted for some sort of black magic box is £170+VAT

Id quite like to keep my multi-changer and just have a line in option really since the steering wheel isn't multifunction...what sort of options do I have there?

Which radio do you have at present?

TBH mate if its double din already then go with rns, save the extra dough or cough up now & you'll never look back, it really is way above what you have now, sd cards will be plenty enough & track info aswell, ipod integration is awful on older setups really is, along with sat nav & potentioal for bluetooth integration, add the other mods as you go mate & you'll love using it, really will as others will advise.

One of my fave toys on the car!

RNS-E and V6 you wont need that G/F I told you to sell!

Hmm. Already have tomtom on the iphone, barely use sat nav too. Think the Rns route is overkill....nice bit of kit tho :)

I just want to be able to listen to the ipod genius playlists somehow...