A3 3.2 Quattro Buyers Guide?

Russ 182

Reaction score
Hi,

Im looking to sell my Clio 182 and buy myself an A3 3.2 V6. I test drove a DSG equiped car yesterday and loved it so im ideally looking for a DSG over manual.

• Does anyone know of a buyers guide for the above mentioned car?
  • Any common problems?
  • Are the engines cambelt or chain driven?
  • Am i right in thinking the Haldex & gearbox oil should be changed in these every 40k (how many years if not 40k?)
  • What are routine service costs like?
  • What prices are consumables such as tyres and brakes generally?
Also what is performance like on the 3.2 v6 compared to the 2003ish S3 225?

If anyone has any buying tips whatsoever please feel free to shout up, it would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone is looking to buy a Clio 182 feel free to pm me lol.

Thanks alot,

Russ

Gearbox oil should be changed at 40k or 4 years.
Engines have cam chains and should last the life of most cars.
Routine service cost will depend where you take it. Big services are expensive at 40k intervals because of parts costs like plugs , filters etc. Yearly oil change and check up should cost you no more than any other car.

Goodyear F1's will cost you about £100 each and last you 15-20 k miles
A 3.2 is a different beast from an S3. Loads of grunt and with a DSG its effortless. IMHO its a much easier car to drive fast than an S3. It will kick down and change up faster than you can do it manually and its almost imposable to ever be in the wrong gear. The 3.2 lump is less stressed, the V6 is smoother and there is no turbo lag............but then i am biased :sly:
As for common problems ? well the engine really dates from the old VR6 days 15 years ago so its proven in its various forms in the modern Audi's A5 A4 and A3 as well a the R32 VW Eos etc.
Try a S3 and make your own mind up but its not easy to find one with a DSG.

The only real issue is possibly the timing chains. These were more a problem on the earlier mk4 R32's and were updated mid 2004, although there have been reports of later cars being affected. You can check this if you have access to vagcom.
The DSG box is great but can come with big bills if all's not well so make sure all the proper service boxes have been checked.
After March 06 the car moves into the higher tax bracket so keep that in mind also.
It's a very different car from the 8L S3 with the power being a lot smoother and might feel slower as a result, although real world it should be quicker. Also a bit nose heavy if pushed having the big lump up front.
Great cars though that's why I came back to one!

It's a great car....understeery yes, but relatively quick and safe.

It's not a dynamically pure and rewarding car a la E87 130i, but A-B pace is impressive.

Factory S line suspension is utterly sh!te, so Koni FSD-Eibach Pro-Kit or KW V3.

Brakes are over-servo'd but very strong (bigger and more powerful than a 987S)

Below all at Official Audi Centre:

LongLife Service every 18k/2yrs approx circa £250 including dust & pollen filter

Every 4years/40k:

DSG oil and filter= £170
Haldex oil & filter= £100 [typically just the oil is changed]
Spark Plugs= £110

Air filter @ 6yrs/60k circa £30
Fuel filter is approx £45
Wiper blades= £40

Brakes: £540 all-round new discs and pads after 40k
Brake fluid every 2 yrs £50-60

Tyres: I get through 4 every 12k miles...£540 for 4* 235/40 Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric

Fuel: I've averaged about 19-23mpg.

Tax: £400+ if first registered after 20/3/06 I think.

Last edited:
According to the Koni site they dont go a kit for an s-line 3.2 ? Do you know where i can get details ?
As for a 130i.lol talk about cheap and nasty inside :laugh:

Last edited:
According to the Koni site they dont go a kit for an s-line 3.2 ? Do you know where i can get details ?
As for a 130i.lol talk about cheap and nasty inside :laugh:

I got a price from DPM a while back I think. I'd go with KW V3 or maybe Intrax if budget isn't a concern.

I was only refering to the driving dynamics of the 130i- the facelift E87.2 has a reasonable interior, but it remains pretty lame I agree

Cheers Baz I will look into KW, i see AMD do them and they are local.

Thanks for the help guys. Its much appreciated. As soon as my 182 has sold i shall be hunting out a tidy a3.

Are the DSG's seen as a weak point or are they generally reliable providing the oil is chamged as per service guide?

I guess their is more to go wrong with a DSG but mines been fine. Audi licence the concept from Porsche and VW use it as well so its a well tried unit. A test drive should show up any faults. It should be dead smooth on the changes and quiet.

And try it in manual, both on the stick and on the paddles as well.
Dave

is the 3.2 faster than an 2009 s3? how about acceleration?

I would say not a lot in it. Car mags might say half a second but you would be an expert driver to find that half a second...and notice it. Both are limited on top end anyway. The 3.2 is smoother and a lot more flexible while you can chip an S3 to give it a boost. horses for courses :)

Not as fast as a s3 but easier to drive in an everyday fAst way I think.

When I was lend an 8p s3 for 2 weeks I felt you had to drive it really hard all the time.

is the 3.2 faster than an 2009 s3? how about acceleration?

Owned both...the 3.2 is lovely and smooth,but is a relatively thirsty car and best as a cruiser.

The S3 is faster,better set up,more economical,but thrashier.

I tried the 8P2 3.2 and 8P2 S3 when buying two years ago.

List price in Sept 07 for the 8P2 3.2 S line S tronic was £28820, 8P2 S3 manual £26995 (now about £28900 for 8P2 S3 S tronic).

The 3.2 sounded a lot better and throttle response was sharper imo....although the S3 is sharper dynamically.

I was following a 3.2 s-line in my S3 on a single carriageway road and overtook a car with a clear road ahead of us. We both started to floored it and to be honest there was nothing in it, I had to work the engine hard to keep up.

intresting.... i'm trying to figure out why there is a 3.2 version of the a3. I get that its a better cruiser but i imagine the fuel economy is worse so... i'm just not sure.

I'm guessing the 3.2 produces 260hp? I would of thought for its size you'd get alot more

Last edited:
The 3.2 was out long before the 8P S3 was released and at that time it was just another engine choice in the A3 lineup. When the S3 came out it kind of made the 3.2 obsolete to all apart from those who wanted a relaxed cruiser. It was also the only A3 that you could get with quattro AND dsg.
As for power it produces 247bhp which maybe not M3 figures, but it is perfectly acceptable for what it is. If it produced more, where would they have had to go with an S3?

intresting.... i'm trying to figure out why there is a 3.2 version of the a3. I get that its a better cruiser but i imagine the fuel economy is worse so... i'm just not sure.

I'm guessing the 3.2 produces 260hp? I would of thought for its size you'd get alot more

As already said the 3.2 was out in 2003 before the S3 was releasted in 2006 .The power is 245bhp i believe but Audi wouldnt of made it to produce any more because of the S3 when it came out in 2006. As already said by 3.2 Ju if it was to produce more where would the S3 go.
I think the last 3.2 was made back in 2007. Not seen any 3.2 on 08 reg but seen them on 07 reg. I'd like to have a 3.2 next year but not that many about on Auto trader/Ebay/Pistonheads or Audi.
There it one mean looking 3.2 on here i believe Pete owns it. Now thats lovely:hubbahubba: