A3 3.2 induction kit?

v2jack

Reaction score
hi all, any owners of a a3 3.2 with air filter or induction kit fitted pls post pic or tell me what u using ! coz i m looking to get one but dont know which make or kit , just want that a bit of roar noise!!! many thanks:thumbsup:

That will be loud...not something you want to use on the motorway without earplugs :) Also check that the oil used with the kit will not have any effect on the operation of the air flow meter, I messed up a VR6 with a K&N induction kit !

Last edited:
my brother has got a Piercross foam jobbie on his R32, to be honest, its makes that V6 sing, I love it, sounds like it could chew up small kids now! I'm guessing the 3.2 Audi kit would be near identical seeing the actual engines are the same.

my brother has got a Piercross foam jobbie on his R32, to be honest, its makes that V6 sing, I love it, sounds like it could chew up small kids now! I'm guessing the 3.2 Audi kit would be near identical seeing the actual engines are the same.

I've got a Pipercross Viper on my 3.2 - not sure if it gives much bhp on this, but sounds fantastic - I just fitted the Mk5 R32 kit, and it fitted straight on.

Top one looks interesting but i would like to see proof of a 10BHP gain...
You do wonder with these people when the bottom one has a heat shield because this is a good thing...then they push the top one with no heat shield ?

OK..some common sense here :yes:

A/ forget fuel economy. Even K&N don't claim an improvement.
B/ Dirt in the airflow after the filter is going to shorten your engine life.
C/ K&N claim 97% filtration, a Paper filter will go to 99%+
D/ The reason K&N filters flow more air is they have bigger holes in them. The reason Paper filters clog is because they have smaller holes in them.
E/ Any increase in performance is going to come at the top end when maximum air flow is reached, a paper filter will not reach its maximum flow until high revs anyway.
F/ How many manufacturers fit foam or oiled filters ? I cant think of 1 !!
Not even Ferrari where cost is nothing to performance !
G/ Audi spent a lot of money matching your filter/airflow/fuel flow/engine life/ to your engine.
A regularly changed paper filter will give you better engine life. If you want more noise then drill some holes in your air box.......

Just my 10 pence worth .

Reactions: Dan966
Now for my 10 pence worth...

OK..some common sense here :yes:

A/ forget fuel economy. Even K&N don't claim an improvement.
They do, and regularly exhibit at caravan / motorhome shows pushing economy rather than performance
B/ Dirt in the airflow after the filter is going to shorten your engine life.
In theory, but 97% vs 99% etc... both very good - the engine is like to die of old age before this is a problem.
C/ K&N claim 97% filtration, a Paper filter will go to 99%+
I know of many performance air filters claiming 99% filtration
D/ The reason K&N filters flow more air is they have bigger holes in them. The reason Paper filters clog is because they have smaller holes in them.
Agreed. This is why paper filters aren't good for performance.

E/ Any increase in performance is going to come at the top end when maximum air flow is reached, a paper filter will not reach its maximum flow until high revs anyway.
It's at maximum revs that a paper filter usually struggles.
F/ How many manufacturers fit foam or oiled filters ? I cant think of 1 !!
Not even Ferrari where cost is nothing to performance !
Porsche and Ferrari use oiled BMC in certain applications. Oh as do Ferrari F1. TVR, Lotus and others use Pipercross.
G/ Audi spent a lot of money matching your filter/airflow/fuel flow/engine life/ to your engine.
Rubbish. These cars are built with massive compromises. They are designed to work well if run on **** fuel with insufficient servicing in extreme conditions. If you look after your car, there is no harm in uprating components.
A regularly changed paper filter will give you better engine life. If you want more noise then drill some holes in your air box.......
I can't disagree with you more.

Just my 10 pence worth .

DSC_0041edit.JPG

I've got a K&N 57i Gen II, sounds great

thanks for all the reply guys, but ive changed my mind, will put on auto trader for sale and had put a deposit down for a a5 .thanks again all

This might interest you V6 Pete
The other week I was reading a post about how the K&N panel filter can stuff up the Mass airflow sensor. I apparently does this by coating it will a haze of oil from the panel itself.

I was also reading that in some cases performance of airflow was worse over that of the OEM filter fitted by the dealer.

I had fitted a K&N panel filter on my A3 3.2L about 4 months ago and was starting to notice a drop in acceleration in high gears as well as a heavy decrease in the coolant level.

Luckily I had just got access to a VAG-COM cable so I decided to run a number of tests between the OEM panel and the K&N.

First I ran a test with the K&N and the engine cold. Then the same test data again after a run of 20 minutes. I then swapped over the panel back to the OEM unit and ran the same tests with that fitted. Surprisingly I found that the K&N was passing less air to the engine than OEM filer according to the data readout. I also found that when I drove the car with the OEM filter the performance was noticeably better

On another plus note my fuel economy has also increased from 25.9 MPG to 29.7 MPG

So the moral of the story is stick to OEM as you save money and MAF sensors!!!

============
This is the problem i had with a K&N induction kit on my VR6

Here is the link
http://www.tyresmoke.net/forum/audi...lter-bad-results-against-audi-oem-filter.html

And the Piper Cross ? 10x better

I just replaced the paper filter on my S3 with a Pipercross replacement panel filter and the difference in flow rates is substantial.
The engine feels more willing to pull, is quicker throughout the rev range and there is a noticeable increase in torque.
Whether the existing panel needed changing anyway or the Piper is just better, I don't know? But there is a noticeable difference, you can hear the air flowing more freely!
The Pipercross foam used is designed especially for the VAG series and doesn't feature any additives to contaminate the MAF sensor.
I've got a few K&N's lying around, replacement filters and 57i's and like Paul said (Happy Birthday by the way!)....I wouldn't put them anywhere near a modern engine, they're designed for old school draggers with no electronics, besides the point......that red oil is a ****** to wash off!
=============
From the same link