A3 3.2 advice

Kyblack

Reaction score
Only 19 so insurance would be crazy on a 3.2 right now but i plan to get myself in an a3 3.2 in the next few years. Just seeing if i need any heads ups/tips/advice on them. Thanks

They were a lovely car in their day, I've had 2, but they are an old car now as they came out in 2003. That makes them up to 18 years old.
I would tread very carefully as they can be VERY expensive to fix.
Timing chains
DSG box
Flexi pipes in down pipes
On top of that you will have the usual age related problems from wear and tare as well as poor servicing.
My advise would be to leave well alone especially to a young person such as yourself!

Last edited:
Reactions: abmat
Rust will be an issue on car that old. If it’s not on the body work then stuff like sub frames and generally underneath could be rotten.
will cost you probably more to insure than to buy the car.

next few years? youll be gone off the idea by then most likely.
the tax is crazy, the mpg is poor, the performance aint that great and the maintenance is terrifying.

add to that that the car will be old enough to vote, and youve got a recipe for misery.
realistically i see no reason why a turbo 4 pot wouldnt be the engine of choice, with 8p 2.0s being able to be remapped and modified well beyond what the 3.2 is capable of, and in the next few years, the price of the even more powerful mk7 platform (a3 8v, golf mk7 etc) coming down even more.

Reactions: aqibi2000
Rust will be an issue on car that old. If it’s not on the body work then stuff like sub frames and generally underneath could be rotten.
will cost you probably more to insure than to buy the car.
Load of rubbish. Mine is fine for it’s age both bodywork and chassis.

Load of rubbish. Mine is fine for it’s age both bodywork and chassis.
Think that’s the difference of a well looked after enthusiasts car to a neglected one that’s been parked near a beach. Every one will be in the middle somewhere. Depends if you are lucky enough to get one nearer the better end of the spectrum.
metal corrodes, facts of life. As mentioned before early 8p’s are old enough to vote so before getting one I would get it up on a ramp and see how good it is underneath. I’ve had cars before that looked gorgeous on the surface but a rust bucket underneath.