A3 2015 US front fog retrofit question

kc1174

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi all,

So here in the US, A3 owners don't get front fogs, but I've got everything together to finish the install this week and am just waiting on one grille to arrive that's sat in a UPS truck right now.

I used the kufatec fog retrofit harness, and tested that and the H8 bulbs with a 12v source, and all was well. I have a UK light switch 8V0-841-531-Q which is the same as the one I have now except it also has the front fog button and the manual dipping control I won't need. I installed the wiring harness today to pins 5 and 45 on connector B on the electrical control module, grounded it in the engine bay, and coded Leuchte12NL and Leuchte13NL (left and right fogs) to the UK settings, but nothing is happening. Is there a separate relay or fuse somewhere for the front fogs? I grabbed literally everything off the US erwin site and the wiring and pins are correct and I don't see anything I'm missing but can't figure out what's going on.
The front fog button basically acts like the rear fog button does when the lights are at "0". It lights up green for a second and goes out.
I ran a scan and am getting no errors.
If/when I get this all sorted, I'll do a write up.
Please let me know what you think.
Cheers.

Check the module has the actual pins on the board you're plugging into, just to be safe as different versions support different systems & I've seen this on some modules.

Reactions: kc1174
I've personally never found the front fogs to be that effective, certainly not to the point that I'd be looking to retrofit them if my car didn't have them!?

Check the module has the actual pins on the board you're plugging into, just to be safe as different versions support different systems & I've seen this on some modules.
Thanks! Yep, that module was such a pain to get at.. I had a quick look and it seemed to have terminals behind most of B connector, including 5 and 45. Just wish there was an easy way to check those pins with a multimeter..

I've personally never found the front fogs to be that effective, certainly not to the point that I'd be looking to retrofit them if my car didn't have them!?
I live in a swamp, and when it starts to cool down like it is now, you're basically driving in the clouds each morning, so any additional visibility helps. This is slightly cheaper than replacing the standard bi-xenons with led and their all weather lights.

Fortunately Google is my friend on this one as I didn't want to have to remove all the panels again and get that thing out.. Anyway, pins 5 and 45 are there (assuming 5Q0-937-085-AB is the same as other 5Q0-937-085-AB modules..).
Screenshot 2015 10 20 10 30 23
Screenshot 2015 10 20 10 42 57

Just confirmed my cecm 5Q0-937-085-AB does have pins 5 and 45 off connector A2, so either my coding is off, or the light switch is messed up, or both. I'll post up the coding off Leuchte12NL and Leuchte13NL later when I get home. It's weird as looking back over other threads and forums last night, there seemed to be the suggestion that the 085 cecms didn't support fogs (or xenons for that matter) and is considered midline.

All sorted now. Had to enable byte 7 bit 3 under central electronics to tell the cecm the light switch had a front fog light switch.. The long coding helper no longer works with the latest version of VCDS on channel 09, but I got the byte and bit from here:
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12716
I have a pic of the car, but can't upload it.. Too big for the server to process.. Anyway I'll do a separate write up with photos later.