a3 2004 fsi sport

audi boi

Reaction score
Hi all new to this site
Have a 04 a3 fsi sport 20L 16v 150bhp . The timing change has broke are they likley to bend valves when this happens ?? Timing belt ok engine turns over no compression . IS this worth fixing or do i need another engine???. Hope someone on here can advise/help ..

THANKS

Hi there, I'd say it's bent a lot of valves at the very least. There may be piston damage as well as head damage. Pull it apart and have a look. You have nothing to lose at this point. new engine is likely to be the easiest and most cost effective option from my experience. Just make sure you put a new chain on the replacement engine first.

Thanks for the replys . Took the cam cover off to find the end broke off cam shaft that drives the timing chain and the chain and tenisionr is smashed in bits . NEW ENGINE ????? OR FIX?????

Do you put a new tesnioner and chain kit in? then hope it fires up, or do you take the head off and inspect the valves and rods, big questions.
Might be worth checking the cam belt side and turning the crank and see if you have compression and movement first.

CAM BELT NOT BROKE ENGINE WAS TURNING OVER BUT NO COMMPRESION SO I THEN TOOK THE HEAD OFF TO FIND TIMING CHAIN AND TENSINOR SMASHED IN BITS PLUS THE COG WHEEL ON THE BACK CAM THAT DRIVES THE TIMIMG CHAIN WAS BROKE OF THE CAMSHAFT . NEW ENGINE????? OR FIX??????

Yeah that can can knock the timing out even with the cam belt intact. But the only way to check your valves are okay is to turn the crank on the cam belt side.

If it's managed to break the cam shaft sprocket off then I'd say there's valve damage at the very least. Take the head off and stop wasting your own time. This will prove if there's valve damage without spending money on new parts and fitting them to a potentially scrap engine.