A3 2.0TSFI loss of power

79 A3

Reaction score
Hi new to the forum so thanks in advance.
I have recently bought myself a 2.0 TSFI Quattro on an 06 plate. 93000 miles. I was driving her this morning with the foot down and lost power at just over 5500 rpm. Power just cut off then returned once revs dropped a bit. Car now drives fine no lights on etc. I now don't want to put the foot down incase I have problems with the car does anyone have any idea why the car would do this and what if any the issues may be. Thank you in advance.

Hi new to the forum so thanks in advance.
I have recently bought myself a 2.0 TSFI Quattro on an 06 plate. 93000 miles. I was driving her this morning with the foot down and lost power at just over 5500 rpm. Power just cut off then returned once revs dropped a bit. Car now drives fine no lights on etc. I now don't want to put the foot down incase I have problems with the car does anyone have any idea why the car would do this and what if any the issues may be. Thank you in advance.

I am guessing here, but a common fault is the diverter valve on the turbo. Worth changing if you haven't anyway. I've just replaced mine and put in a G variant.

You could do with getting a scan with VCDS, this would give you any errors that have been logged.

Reactions: 79 A3
Does sound like the diaphragm is ripped in the turbo diverter valve, first thing I changed just before I remapped stage1 as they are a weak point, I fitted a GFB DV+ 3 years ago and no problems yet, boosts better too.

Thank you for the responses, car is due to get plugged in next week. If it is the diverter valve what kind of cost would I be talking to correct. If that's the issue is the car good to drive and won't damage the turbo?
Thinks I advance

Thank you for the responses, car is due to get plugged in next week. If it is the diverter valve what kind of cost would I be talking to correct. If that's the issue is the car good to drive and won't damage the turbo?
Thinks I advance
About £40 if you fit yourself!

Is that for genuine part? That's nice and cheap thankfully Is there any risk to driving car in the mean time?

Is that for genuine part? That's nice and cheap thankfully Is there any risk to driving car in the mean time?
Don't think so, I drove mine "carefully" for a few weeks a before changing it. Yes genuine part!

The GFB DV+ is about £90/£100 and its the better option, fit and forget. Problem with the diaphragm type is they split and the new revision G which is a platic valve type lets boost pressure pass the valve and you will find you will be down on top end pressure on boost. The GFB GV+ is a patented brass valve type and ultra reliable and most of the stage 2+ cars running 300+ bhp are using them.
You will be okay driving you will just be loosing boost pressure and power.

Thank you for the above will update on the outcome next week. It was an instant loss of power I thought the belt had gone initially got a scare until the power came back. That's That would fit in with the diaphragm going and loss of pressure I guess.

The GFB DV+ is about £90/£100 and its the better option, fit and forget. Problem with the diaphragm type is they split and the new revision G which is a platic valve type lets boost pressure pass the valve and you will find you will be down on top end pressure on boost. The GFB GV+ is a patented brass valve type and ultra reliable and most of the stage 2+ cars running 300+ bhp are using them.
You will be okay driving you will just be loosing boost pressure and power.

My personal view is that this is overkill for a standard car (non S3). The D type is the plastic valve that can leak. The G type is the diaphragm which will wear. But at £40 and easily a few years use, it remains cheaper option.

My personal view is that this is overkill for a standard car (non S3). The D type is the plastic valve that can leak. The G type is the diaphragm which will wear. But at £40 and easily a few years use, it remains cheaper option.
Without sounding argumentative Chris, anything you fit that you dont have to fit again is never overkill, also the GFB will hold boost longer in-between gear changes saving fuel and feeling a lot more smoother, so there are benefits. Also if you choose to stage1 map in the future it will benefit the car no end and the 2.0tfsi quattro is well under powered given its extra weight of the haldex 4 wheel drive system.
And yeah I stand corrected on the type G. :stupid: