A3 2.0TFSI DSG - Wont Start 1st Time When Cold

jb0o

Reaction score
Website
jonathan-butler.co.uk
Hi all,

Tried the usual search but couldn't find anything.

I've had my car for a few days now and its perfect, hasn't skipped a beat apart from one small problem which has been happening in the morning.

I jump in the car and turn her over and she fails to start first time. She'll start first time fine when I press the accellerator at the same time as I turn the key and she always starts the second time, even when I'm not pressing the accellerator.

Is this a sign of a problem that could potentially get worse?

Its not one of those situations when I have to half-turn the key and leave it for a few seconds before I turn the car over, to allow the fuel to pump through or anything?

Did a VCDS scan and revealed nothing.

Thanks in advance,

Mine always starts first time but I have noticed it takes a split second longer when the weather is very cold.

Maybe its down to the battery knocking on a bit. Can't see why your gas pedal would affect it though.

Yeah, seems to be a strange on - other than that the car runs spot on.

Sorry I kind of mis-worded what I meant. When I mean it wont start first time, it kind of starts but when cuts out straight away - when I hit the gas pedal at the same time as starting, it shoots the revs up and its started fine - idling back down at around 900.

sometimes my 1.6 does this don't know why just does , but like yours if i do it a second time it fires fine its done it since i bought the car 4 years ago only does it once in a blue moon

Could this fault be related to faulty Spark Plugs?

I seem to be getting 27mpg on my 17mile, mainly A road, journey into work on a morning without booting her at all. Spoke to a guy with a GTi who says he gets 36mpg on the same route and suggested that I check the spark plugs.

does it start first time if you turn ignition on, wait 5 secs, turn ignition off, turn back on then start?

I'll have to check this in the morning when the engine is stone cold.

If this was the case, what would that signify?

possibly a weak fuel pump

Last edited by a moderator:
possibly a week fuel pump

TBH that was also my 1st thought given it takes 2 starts, plus wider throttle, has been known to have issues according to my master tech, question, can you hear the fuel pump pressurise when you turn ignition, should hear a squirting noise.

possibly a weak fuel pump
Totally forgot to check this, however it started up first time stone cold without a problem -- it seems to start first time fine when I hold the key until I'm sure its started (usually I just turn the key for about 2 seconds as a habit as it would usually be fired up by then) though it did show a slight struggle to start.

Have you checked the IMF?
What's this and how can I check?

Have the same issue when it's cold - starts every time when I turn the ignition on and pause for a few seconds before firing her up..

Good to hear I'm not alone. The cars still under a 3 month warranty so if anything is on its way out or anything I'd like it to just go so I can get it sorted, haha. Most likely I just have the 'new car paranoia'!

Good to hear I'm not alone. The cars still under a 3 month warranty so if anything is on its way out or anything I'd like it to just go so I can get it sorted, haha. Most likely I just have the 'new car paranoia'!

Always best to get them to sort it asap so you can squeeze every penny out of the warranty as you can haha Try to blag fuel expenses etc When i did they came and picked up the car and dropped the courtesy car off while doing so. The courtesy cars werent brilliant such as a fiat 500 but they were really fun to drive as its not your car :whistle2:

Definitely. Got to love a good thrashing of a courtesy car!

The warranty is a nationwide one, more like an insurance thing... I phone up and tell them the fault and I get it repaired at a local authorised garage and they pay for it. Beats going down to Grimsby!

Btw, pumped up my tyres for the first time today and my rear left was down to 18psi when it was supposed to be 32psi, LOL. May have been a big contribution to my relatively poor fuel consumption.

Nationwide!!!!

The local one is in Middlesbrough. They got into alot of trouble for escaping costs and doing things on the cheap etc. Every now and then a guy (cant remember his occupation) will come down and check over the work the garages have done (they have 2 or 3 there) to see if they are upto standard. It was found that they were using re-moulds for the bumpers etc. That was a few year ago now but i cant imagine it being much different :/

Haha it was either that or the speedy drive to Leeds :p

Lmao, not Nationwide the mechanics, nationwide as in I can go to any approved garage in the UK :p

I'll soon find out on my trip to work tomorrow -- need to beat my best of 29mpg!

Oh thats ok then, hope you get it sorted :]

Your obsessed with mpg! I dont even look at mine and tbh i dont even know what the 3 settings mean on the trip computer yet as i dont even use it lmao

What's this and how can I check?

Intake Manifold Flap mate, it is connected to the boost hose coming from the intercooler at front of engine before it goes into the intake manifold.

How much have you guys seen your MPG dip in the cold weather?

I was getting 38-40 in the summer, now I'm seeing 33-35 :(

alright mate mine was doing exactly the same as you've described it started about 2months ago and gradually just got worst taking 2 attempts to start first time then on saturday it just wouldnt start my friend came over whos a mechanic checked everything over and said it was just my battary, got a new battary monday and now it starts sweeeeeeeeet! so good chance it could be the same with yours.

Hi Jb0o, mine was struggling to start for the last year but would start 1st time. I changed the battery last weekend with a Varta Sliver dynamic one and it now starts 1st time instantly now. So may be worth changing your battery, if its struggling to start.

Thanks for the input guys. The car runs perfectly without any faults so the battery fault does sound possible. I'll get a battery check done and see what the findings are.

38-40 in a 2.0TFSI?!

Im yet to see >30mpg on Computer 2.

Yeah I do 30 miles each way on the m1 as my commute, get around 400 miles to the tank, 440 in summer.

Had a few sluggish starts this winter, think its new battery time.

****** hell, I'd love to return that in my 2.0TFSI.

I've got a 17mile commute to work, 10miles being on a A road and I struggle to get 30mpg on the way there leaving it in 'D' -- I thought DSG was supposed to be more economical!

No idea what could be contributing to my poor fuel consumption but I'm only getting 27mpg atm on Computer 2.