A3 2.0TDI Sport MPG - What do you average?

TimG

Reaction score
After sellign the S3 ive had my 2004 A3 TDI for a week now and generally pretty happy with it. Driving steady I've been averaging 48MPG on my 11 mile commute to work (7 mile motorway and 4 mile Town).

Seen up to 51MPG on a steady run, but no higher (Audi claim 61MPG extra urban!)

Is this pretty typical of the 2.0TDI?

What do you guys average roughly?

Cheers
Tim

my highest ever was 53mpg but I live in London. Average for me is 37mpg due to the start stop nature of driving in the capital

Mine is a sportback 140 2.0 tdi sport .£60 equates to around 450 500 miles depends how i drive.Could get way more if i drove like my 91 year old gran does ;-)
Edit :- Sorry i average 48 to 50 after having 25 mpg on the last car im happy

Last edited:
The highest I've seen is 61.4, average about 49, on my 25 mile commute.

Your MPG will improve the warmer it gets.

In my old 2005 2.0TDi I got 60.2 doing sensible speeds going to the NEC from Blackpool. This was when it was mapped though, before that I could never get much more than 55, bring on the warmer weather and watch the MPG go through the roof!

No such MPG on the A5 but 45 from a 3.0 is nice :)

I get roughly 45-50 mpg on my commute into Leeds, that is driving it well too ;)

Mines a 170 and still a very new engine. Since Jan would say general average around 38 on shorts hops and 45 on a run , with up to 55 if I drive like a granny (got this on a 160 mile round trip run on A roads).
Hope it will improve as the engine loosens up and the warmer weather comes.

Still not bad with so much squirt available under foot.

Mine is a 2.0 TDI Sport.

Usually get between 45 + 52 on DIS per journeys, I usually reset 'MPG count 2' when I refill, which by the end of the tank the DIS states about 43-45MPG (for the tank) and I get about 420 miles before the 'refill' icon appears. The DIS doesn't appear to be accurate though, when I calculate the MPG through litres/gallons used to mileage coverage unfortunatly the MPG goes down to about 38-40. I haven't had the car ver long so been trying to see what its like on the fuel, not as good as I thought it would be.

By the way I drive the car very steady too, god knows what it wouldl be if I thraped it!

Cheers.

Don't buy 1.6TDI. I'm stuck at 47.4mpg driving like an old granny!!!!! worst so far 34mpg on motorway for 72 miles averaging 62mph!!!! a kick in the nuts as far as Audi and there facts are concerned.

I think AUDI Dis' generally overread on all their cars. Ive had loads of audis and no DIS yet has been accurate with regard to real life MPG. My TT used to overread by about 4MPG which is quite a bit considering were talking around the high 20's true life.

That said, and although I havent yet had the A3 long enough to really pass accurate judgement, 15 litres has been getting me around 155 miles which is 47mpg true, which is pretty consistent with the DIS 2 reading since Ive had it.

Don't buy 1.6TDI. I'm stuck at 47.4mpg driving like an old granny!!!!! worst so far 34mpg on motorway for 72 miles averaging 62mph!!!! a kick in the nuts as far as Audi and there facts are concerned.
christ i get way than that in my 1.6fsi petrol car lol worst avg is around 32mpg best ive seen is 57mpg i get 42ish daily

I'm lucky if I get 500 miles from a full tank. The dis says near 50 mpg but if u work it out it's closer to 40 I believe. 55l/4.55= roughly 12.1 gallons. So 500/12 is about 42 mpg. A good few mpg diff to what dis shows.