A3 2.0tdi 140 glowplug flashing and limp mode.

RoryVXR

Reaction score
Hello.

i recently bought a 61 plate A3 2.0tdi 140 S/S - First VAG.
recently it started doing the flashing glow plug and going into limp mode. its my wifes car so she drives it mostly but it did it with me last week. i stopped and restarted no problem. i did try and read the code but nothing came up. its just a cheap one, going on other cars ive used it on i think the light has to be on for it to pick it up with its being a cheap one. Anyway, im working away at the moment typicaly and the cars shat its self again when the wife was driving it. Ino i need to get the codes read and i will do once i can but i was just wondering what sort of things it could be. Theres no DPF light on with it. i'm just hoping its nothing too expensive. I dont have a clue about these engines i'm a vauxhall man.
Apart from this the cars been fine.
Cheers guys

In my experience this usually signifies a boost regulation issue, very common but can be several things. Split in boost hose that opens up under pressure, boost (turbo) actuator electrical connector loose/dirty or vac hose burst, sticking turbo actuator arm, sticking wastegate etc. You really need to read it with vcds to see the proper code, but it is likely to be something regarding boost regulation etc. This wont be possible with most generic kit, needs to be vag vcds.

Normally it's telling you the boost was lower, or higher, than requested.

Check every pipe, plug and vac hose along the intake path and turbo. It will be something stupid so be thorough or if you aren't confident then get a skilled keen mechanic who is used to working on turbocharged cars to check it thoroughly for you.

When mine had the same issue, eventually the engine malfunction light came on. Turned out to be the EGR valve, Audi repaired it FOC after the emissions scandal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: DrSasso
Yeah EGR valve issues can cause problems too but this fault had so many different causes it's best to check all the basics first before spending money. Also VCDS will tell you if it's overboost, or underboost. A sticking EGR can rob exhaust gas from the turbine by bypassing it when it shouldn't be and that will flag up underboost codes. Also sticking turbo vanes inside the older 1.9tdi car's used to be famous for causing this behaviour.

Thats great lads thanks for all the info. Got home and read the codes. Turns out its a EGR issue. P0403 control circuit A. My next question is where is it on the CFFB engine? I went onto euro car parts to price one and it came up with 3 types. The long style one ive looked seems to be down the back of the engine and looks like a right ******* to change im hoping its not that one. Is there any blanking kits? Car is booked in for a remap next week so would be ideal to get it mapped out. Or can i leave it in and map out? Thanks again

Mine's on the front (my car is an early 2010 Common Rail) but I understand later in 2010 VAG moved them to the rear (transverse engines) :sadlike:

Thats great lads thanks for all the info. Got home and read the codes. Turns out its a EGR issue. P0403 control circuit A. My next question is where is it on the CFFB engine? I went onto euro car parts to price one and it came up with 3 types. The long style one ive looked seems to be down the back of the engine and looks like a right ******* to change im hoping its not that one. Is there any blanking kits? Car is booked in for a remap next week so would be ideal to get it mapped out. Or can i leave it in and map out? Thanks again

Did you get this resolved? Dare I ask how much it cost you in the end?! Mine has just started doing exactly the same (same engine code too), so I'd be interested to know if you managed to map it out too.

Cheers,
Nick

I ended up just just mapping the EGR and DPF out and getting it gutted, was costing around the same and i wasn't paying all that money for it to do the same thing in a year or two. Cost me £450 in the end.

I had the same and replaced the EGR. Mines a 2010 and the egr is on the back and the pipe work runs through the block. Not a nice job. But I still get it going into limp mode every now and then. Just left it but if anyone has any suggestions as to why it’s doing it. The egr valve is working as it should so none the wiser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk