A3 2.0t DSG vNew golf GTi DSG

cejsmith

Reaction score
Ok

Which one would you have and why. I've driven a manual gti and to be frank it was great. Do you think the A3 will handle as well (I know they are the same floor pan)? I've driven a A3 quattro 2.0t which to be fair was a good handler (but you can't have it with DSG), but will the 2wd be as good. I've also drive a A3 TDI sport which was fine but not that sharp. The strangest thing is though the price is nearly the same retail, you can get a much better discount on an A3!!!!

I only tend to keep as for about a year, so resale value is very important.I think that in the end has put me of the 3.2 A3.

Surely you should drive the A3 and find out?

Everyone's view is subjective. I have driven the A3 2.0T and 3.2V6 and found them to be vague, under damped and rather uninvolving. I haven't driven the Golf GTi, but I have had a 2.0FSI MkV loaner and found it similar to the A3. Many reviews have suggested that the GTI handles pretty well. My natural cynisism would suggest that the difference would not be that great, but if you compare the MkIV GTI to the R32 the difference IS significant...

If VW have given the MkV chassis the R32 treatment then you'd be better with the GTI over the audi offerings. Certainly the Audi's are not good handlers, in the way that a Civic type R is or a Leon Cupra R.

Some more test driving in order... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cant find any one with A3 2.0t 2wd in the area at the mo. But I have driven a both the type R and cupra R and neither is as good as the new GTI. Type R doesn't put it's power down to well in the wet. The cupra R is a very good car ( I currently drive a Leon Cupra TDI at the mo)but it doesn't have as nice interior as either the golf or A3. Plus i've done the leon thing!!!

I was wondering if any one knows if they have used a different set up on the 2.0T to the normal FSI or TDI.

If it's any use, the handling of the 2.0TDI and 2.0T are very similar in "sport" spec - both of which are not sporty, and not a match for a type r or cupra. The A3 is very quiet and comfortable, but not interesting or adjustable.

Sounds like the GTi is worth a spin /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

A3 isn't very quiet, it's just quieter than the riceboxes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. Anyway, 2,0T handles the same as 2,0FSI/TDI with even the same brakes, while 3,2 has bigger brakes.

- Yak

I recently drove the new Golf GTi with manual gearbox, the A3 2.0 TDI with DSG and the A3 2.0 TFSI with manual gearbox. The reason for this selection is because I was looking for a performance car with an automatic gearbox and all the above options come with the DSG option.

The Golf is, without doubt, an amazing car that provides more thrill than the A3. The two things that stood out for me were a) the power, which is instantly available and seems to give greater acceleration, and b) the steering, which seems to provide greater feel and feedback than the A3. As a boy-racer, the Golf definately has it. When it came to the performance of the TDI versus the TFSI, there is no comparison in my mind. The 2.0TDI is an amazing diesel with terrific torque., but I found it rather noisy when accelerating. The TFSI is in another league, however. Greater acceleration, and much quieter than the TDI. The acceleration of the TFSI is more controlled than the Golf; the power coming on more gradually. The steering of the A3 also seems to have less feedback than on the GTi. Having said that, the internal accommodation of the A3 has a more luxurous feel and is bigger than the Golf and, all things considered, the A3 meets my needs better; it's the one I decided on. On either car, the DSG is fantastic. Can't wait for 1st March for my TFSI DSG.