A3 2.0t dsg or manual?

Jp-tqs

Reaction score
Hi, A4 owner here!
Thinking of getting an A3 2.0t for the wife to replace her mk4 gti. Around the 5.5k price range. Neither of us have ever owned an auto box car before but both like the idea of it, fed up of changing gear ha!

Anyway, are the fwd auto boxes the same as quattro ones?
Do they all come with flappy paddles!?
Obvious signs of a failing box?
Do they age well?

Sorry for all the questions, but would appreciate any info on the above or any other insight into petrol A3 auto ownership!

Many thanks!

Anyway, are the fwd auto boxes the same as quattro ones?

No, the FWD one has two drive shafts coming out of either side. the Quattro box has the aforementioned plus a prop shaft to send drive to the rear of the car.

Do they all come with flappy paddles!?

As far as I know they don't all come with paddles.

Obvious signs of a failing box?

The box should go up and down all gears in near silence in D and S mode. It should also go up and down the gears in near silence in Manual mode using the gear knob. Also plant your foot and make sure it kicks down.

Do they age well?

Yes as long as they have been maintained. Some need an oil and filter change every 40,000 miles. Make sure that has been done.

thanks for the reply mate, so how do i figure out what specs the flappy paddles? Quattro only thing maybe?

Hi Jp.
As far as I know all A3,s with DSG gear boxes have the "flappy paddles". All my driving life I have had manual gear boxed cars until I purchased my current car A3 DSG 2.0tfsi a year ago..I have decided I will never go back to a manual car again..It has been a joy to drive especially in busy stop go traffic.
For the top end of your budget you can get a 2008 plate with 70000 miles plus, just done a quick search on Autotrader..Not sure if you want a petrol or diesel? but I should imagine either one in DSG guise would be lovely to drive..Go to your local Main dealer and take one for a test drive. :thumbs up:

Cheers Pburv, would definitely be petrol we are after, not massively convinced on diesel economy unless doing spaceship mileage!
Thanks for bigging up Dsg.... This is what i need to here!! :music:

Hi jp i've got an s3 dsg first auto i've owned and must say its impressive.I feel the paddles are a bit gimmicky as you'll never change gear as well or fast as it will itself,but they are extremely smooth,so much so the missus bought a 2.0t s line dsg and i don't think she would bother with a manual again she loves it.

@JDP..... Granted, flappy paddles probably are a bit gimmicky, but think id end up a bit gutted if i didnt have them!
Good to hear your missus gets on with dsg, maybe there is hope for my missus too! She changes gear way too much in a manual anyway so auto seems the way to go for her!!

I have a PD170 with DSG and paddles.40 k oil changes i'm on about 167k iirc.First signs are the digits going funny on the dash i have read before.
I wouldn't go back to manual, as having a dodgy left hip it's helped me immensely.

Bit of a rant but I don't get why everybody thinks the paddles are a gimmick, being able to change gear and having to hold a peddle to do so is a bit of a gimmick then?

If you use the DSG like somebody with a brain it is very good and 95% of the time I use manual mode and paddles, you can slowly roll along in 1st or 2nd gear for example, you can change gear mid corner if trying to make progress and keep two hands on the wheel - surely that's better because it's safer?

You can engine brake without the box wanting to change up all the time and without using sport mode so it goes for the lowest gear as soon as you go near the throttle. you don't need to take your hands off the wheel to change gear like you do if your using the manual mode on the gearstick.

I'm a bit limited because I have to drive an auto now but I could live without a clutch pedal even if I could drive a manual car now - Ok it's something more to do to add to the driving experience but meh! flat shifts, launch control (just because you can) and best of both worlds really - I chose DSG over a regular auto for fuel economy

Anyway sorry if it sounded ranty and sorry for being so biased - I used to prefer manual

I find the paddles useful, kick down takes too long to give you the power and by the time is does kick down your opponent has usually shot off.

It also takes longer to put the car into M and then down shift using the stick. I usually knock the paddle twice and go.

Bought my 1st auto last year, A3 2.0 tdi S lIne. Really pleased with how the gear box works compared with conventional autos I have driven in the past. Gear change is fast and smooth and fuel consumption doesnt seem to be compromised.
So far no problems, I did the S Tronic service at Audi for £169 which I felt was worth it for peace of mind and it actually made it feel even smoother. Mines on 81k now and still drives like new.
You do notice a slight difference in winter when the car is cold they seem a little slower through the first few gears but once warm absolutely fine.
Amazing to drive in traffic without having to keep operating a clutch. I find the sport mode a little pointless as the car seems to go just as well in 'Drive' when you give it a bit of welly.
Mine has the paddles which I also done use often as i find them a bit of a gimmic, maybe not so much on something with more power like an S3 but mine is only the 140bhp diesel model..
The box also has mode in drive to move the lever over and operate the gears up and down via the gear lever. Again this is not something I find useful and only something i have tried because its there but wouldnt use regularly. Hope this helps...