A3 2.0FSi (petrol) cut out at 70mph on motorway

JohnboyC

Reaction score
Hi all....

I hope someone out there can throw some light on this 'problem' a work colleague has with her 2005 55 Reg car, with about 84K miles on it.

Outside lane on M6 doing 70mph
Engine just cuts out - thankfully she got car over to hard shoulder no probs.

She gets Greenflag out - they cannot find anything obviously wrong with car...except engine coolant is a bit low so they top it up.

So she then manages to get car restarted (but ESP & ABS lights are stuck on), but car behaves itself on 15 mile trip to work from where it cut out. On restarting car at work, teh ESP & ABS lights go out correctly.

So I take my VAGCOM in next day to work to check out what error codes there may be

Under Engine there are the following 2 codes :

012425 - Signal line for fuel pump electronic - Electronic malfunction, P3089 -002 Lower limit exceeded - there have been 254 occurances of this fault.

Next fault

005445 Throttle valve controller malfunction P1545 -008 Implausible Signal - Intermittant - There has only been one instance of this fault

I did not clear the faults, incase she has to take car to Audi garage to have codes read again.

Whats the opinion folks ????

I'm sure I read the early pumps did sometimes fail but what they are talking about is the black box that sits on top of the fuel pump. Worth trying ebay, its a 5 min job requiring no tools. The 2nd error could just be a result of the engine dying & the flap getting out of sync.

This happened to mine about 6 months ago. The filter on the bottom of the sender unit gets clogged up. You can clean them out but it would probs happen again so I changed mine. It cost around £150 but I changed it myself. Hope this helps!