A3 2.0 tdi s line oil filter location

nik patel

Reaction score
Website
www.simplydents.co.uk
Hi

Thought it would be accessible once I removed the engine cover but it's not there. I take it you have to remove the undertray to gain access to it?

Pic of engine bay

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3,548
Yes you have to remove the under tray. I did an oil change on my 8V A3 1.6 TDI which as far as I know uses the same design block but with bigger displacement, and the oil filter is a pain to get to unless you have a ramp. Even then it's a little bit fiddly.

The oil filter housing is upside down towards the front of the engine opposite the radiator fan. You have to unplug an electrical connector next to it, then unclip a hose mount and move it to the side. You then have to unscrew the drain plug of the housing. Then unscrew the housing itself and then replace the cartridge filter.

Reactions: Kalashnikov
Yes it's underneath, and a massive pain I the ****, you will need a 14mm socket as well to remove the excess oil before taking off the filter housing

Thanks Dean for the heads up! On my BMW there was a nice hatch for access to the sump plug and the oil filter was at the top, easy accessible.:grimacing:

Did the oil change, was a pain as i didn't have a bigger torx bit for the 3 screws at the back of the undertray. Also you need a 32mm socket for the oil filter, so had to borrow one from a friend. I also changed the diesel fuel filter which a piece of cake!

Oh yes, forgot that the 8v has t45s at the back instead of the t30