A3 2.0 TDI Quattro Vs Non-Quattro

Agent_Trig

Reaction score
Could anyone tell me what are the pros and cons of owning the Quattro version of the 2.0 TDI (140 or 170) please?

I'm finding it very hard to find the right one, and maybe this could help me open up my choices if I was to start looking at Quattros as well as non-Quattros.

Thanks

Pros:
4 wheel drive
better grip
handle better in all conditions
hold the price better
Can handle much more power than FWD

Cons:
More expensive
More could go wrong
Exhausts etc have to be custom made

My only gripe that i wanted DSG and Audi don't do the 170 with Quattro and DSG.

Pros:
4 wheel drive
better grip
handle better in all conditions
hold the price better
Can handle much more power than FWD

Cons:
More expensive
More could go wrong
Exhausts etc have to be custom made

Are the running costs the same?

Mpg wise there is probz max 1mpg difference either way, so no difference really

it's a tough call - personally i don't think it's at all necessary, but there will be a lot of ppl on here that if you don't have quattro you might as well walk and all that garbage.

just test drive them both and see which one you prefer. quattro is nice to have but not essential unless you've got big power plans.

best of luck with the purchase.

S.

I have a quattro and would find it quite hard to go back to 2WD, unless I really couldn't find the right spec.

Put simply, you don't really notice it until you need it: I've spent two years being able to drive all seasons just as if every day was bone dry. I've also enjoyed the great low-speed traction and not having to think twice about driving on ice. You can see how 4WD fools you, because the "go" is so constant that you forget that the "stopping" and "turning" are just the same as in a 2WD.

Although it's a 2.0T rather than a diesel, I think the fuel economy is probably within 5-10% of the 2WD in real driving. The Haldex system in the A3 is a full time system, but only gives about 2.5-10% of power to the rear wheels when traction is otherwise good up front (and, of course, all you need when traction would otherwise be lost). I'm not sure whether / how this impacts on fuel, but there is surely some bearing.

If you're buying new, or with the choice of both, then go for it. If as I suspect you don't have that choice, then I guess it's about whether you're prepared to hang around for a quattro (of which there are presumably a lot less than 2WDs).

You dont `need` 4wd, especially as chassis technology has made fwd cars much more capable.
I had 18ys of motoring without it and didnt miss it because I had never had it.

However, the problem comes when youve had it and enjoyed the all year round benefits, it makes you apprehensive about having fwd again and you get to where 4wd becomes a `need`. For me now its essential, particularly after having a couple of fwd A4s loaners last year (18T, 20TDi) and I really didnt like the way they felt in the wet, enthusiatic cornering was a bit of an act of faith.

So now Im a complete 4wd convert which makes your choices narrow when looking for a new car, Basically you have AUDI or Jap saloons.
The biggest trade off is tyre wear, Im getting through tyres quicker than previous fwd drive cars.

Good luck with the search.

Paul

Last edited:
So now Im a complete 4wd convert which makes your choices narrow when looking for a new car, Basically you have AUDI or Jap saloons.
A few others I could think of - VAG group ( Yeti, Octavia, Golf R, Passat R36 ), a couple of Saabs, Vauxhall Insignia.

Jap wise - is it Evo, Impreza, Outback/Legacy ?

Any more that aren't SUV types anyone ? I've been wondering what the 4WD options were if I had to change to something a bit more economical than the S3.

A few others I could think of - VAG group ( Yeti, Octavia, Golf R, Passat R36 ), a couple of Saabs, Vauxhall Insignia.

Jap wise - is it Evo, Impreza, Outback/Legacy ?

Any more that aren't SUV types anyone ? I've been wondering what the 4WD options were if I had to change to something a bit more economical than the S3.

Yeah good point, any 4wd VAG not just AUDI.

Hatchback ideally, salloons ok too. Golf, A3, A4, Impreza, EVO X all on the list.
Never really liked the look of the Octy.

Insignia isnt my thing, too bloaty looking, image problem,
Not a fan of SUVs as road wagons, dont really see the point.

Did look at the 9-3 Turbo X a while back but they were rare and pricey. Will be interesting to see what Spyker do with SAAB.

cheers
Paul

I've owned a 2wd and currently a 4wd A3.

I would say the quattro models are more of a drivers car, turn the ESP off and it can be quite a lot of fun, mines on proper wet weather/winter tyres at the moment and the grip is good in all conditions.

The Haldex systems is quite good but it's nothing like the Torsen system on the A4/6 models, it's only saving grace is the MPG is better on the A3 as the car is virtually 2wd when cruising.

My average MPG over about 2,000 miles is 41, on my commute to work through the countryside I usually average 36/37mpg, you would probably see better returns if you did a lot of motorway driving, in which case you are wasting your money buying a quattro to be honest.

quattro is not a must for people but some sware by it it is good yes its like everything tho it has good things and bad things good things better traction in snow/ rain etc.. bad things extra weight to lug around more things to go wrong no dsg in 170bhp tdi form dont know if its like it on the 8p3 tho audi may have changed there tune lol

I do heavy rush hr miles and current average is 21.8mpg on REVO Stage 1

Previous FWD MK5 Gti, also REVO Stage 1, did 25mpg-ish from memory.

pilotaudi by any chance lmfao

Great to know I'm appreciated! I wouldn't want an FWD A3 having had a Quattro... personal choice. Quattro makes a great Audi even better.

Towing considerations loool

30 mph on A frame not very far (30 miles i think), four wheels on ground (flatbed or road)
or youll ruin your centre diff.

The A3 doesn't have a "Centre Diff" it's got a Viscous Coupling which eliminates the need for said diff.

Haldex say it's not an issue to tow with one axle lifted btw....

I have owned both quattro and FWD and can definitely say I would find it hard to go back to FWD.
As someone said its now a confidence/driving style thing now, driving other cars can be scary!

Regularly get into the wife's shopping trolley and light it up pulling out of a junction in the wet!

Downside for me is no DSG and smaller boot.

The Op never mentioned what type of driving you do, town, motorway etc. Where do you live? (Scotland = rain = quattro required)

I have recently bought an 05 tdi Quattro 8P1 s,line. The initial selling point for me was the sheer grip on offer when I took it for a test drive in deep snow, Even on normal tyres.
My last car, a mk5 golf GT170 tdi. Was shocking in the snow on standard tyres, even worse than the mk4 before it. Saying that it did redeem itself last year when I put snow tires on it front and rear, the difference was like night and day. But still not as good as the A3. AND you could not get power oversteer out of 2nd gear corners. Hmm takes me back to the scooby days,but without the chronic drink problem.:rock:
But if you live anywhere that is lightly to get snow, or you enjoy driving enthusiasticly in all conditions then I would definatly recomend going Quattro.
One word of warning about the tdi 170 though. although it has great performance for a diesel, please be aware of the problems asociated with the DPF. I had plenty of these with my mk5 golf, although sorted under warranty it was still a major pain in the ***.:mad:
My advice would be either a 140 with remap, or if you buy a 170 out of warranty cost in a full millteck system with DPF delete and a good remap which depending on the company carrying it out should give you about 230bhp.
Good luck with the hunt.

You can't do doughnuts in a FWD :end_of_discction:

You can eat doughnuts in a FWD but not in my Quattro..... damn sugar gets everywhere ;-0

Just bought a Quattro and love it! Grip is awesome and can't wait for a little snow to laugh at BMW drivers.....

Aren't A3 8P Quattros about 70kg heavier vs 2wd? So slightly more costly on ins, tax and petrol but i'd prob go for it if one's available m8

driving gently cruising at no more than 60mph i can get upto 53mpg absolute max out of my 140bhp quattro,if i ramp it driving fast on the same journy i get 35mpg,thats a 2005 2.0 TDI 140bhp 3 door

Hi

I'm new to the AWD Quattro. All I can say is, WOW! :yum:

The recent wet weather hasn't been a problem for it at all. No spinning at the lights or anything..............mental, mental!!! Chicken Oriental!!! You just feel so confident, which means you're able to relax and enjoy the ride!

We live on a slight hill. It was a nightmare trying to get our old 2wd out in the snow. TBH, I'm actually looking forward to it this year just to see how this great car will react! Of course, probably transpire to be a dry and mild winter now I've said it!

I was driving a 'standard' A3 2.0TDi 140 before the Quattro and could regularly get high 50's early 60's on the MPG front. This 170 beast is only giving 50mpg at best. When I boot it, it's more like 40 MPG.

I managed it today but I was driving like a hat wearing old fart in a Rover! Apologies, to any old farts who wear hats! lol

I know the engine is new so maybe after time the MPG will improve a tad.

Anyway, Quattro is the way forward....................even in Wolverhampton!! lol

Cheers

Reactions: PhilM81
I went with Quattro because twice as many wheels pushing = twice as fast. Stands to reason.

I went with Quattro because twice as many wheels pushing = twice as fast. Stands to reason.

Absolutly right

170bhp via two wheels is 340bhp where as via four wheels is 680bhp :)

Reactions: sliced and Sulzer_Mike