A3 2.0 tdi inlet manifold

NEILGF

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone could advise if the alloy inlet manifold from BKD engine 03G129713 fits on BMN engine to replace the current plastic one. I believe some BMN engines came with alloy inlet.

Thanks

Anyone? Im looking to do away with problematic swirl flaps.

Thanks

You need the BMN inlet as I believe there are some differences, an alloy one from a Golf, Passat, Touran, or Leon with a BMN engine will be the same (the plastic manifold is rarer than the alloy one so there are loads available on ebay). If you are getting rid of the manifold due to the flaps you will need to block the vacuum line that runs to the manifold actuator.
Also be aware the alloy manifold uses a different gasket to the plastic manifold so you will need to buy that as well.

What issues are you having with the swirl flaps?

Hi max69vk. Thanks for the reply.
The mechanism that opens and closes the flaps has become loose and worn a hole. I've started to get a bit of a smell of diesel fumes/leakage. A well known issue with the original BMN inlet and only repair is to replace it with modified version.
Had thought or using BKD manifold and doing away with flaps but leaving vacuum actuator plugged in as there are no sensors within manifold for flap position.
New manifold is Circa £500. Looking at it the manifold for BRE engine is alloy and has flaps and should fit. 03G129713H What are your thoughts
Thanks Neil

I'll be honest and say I'm not 100% on whether it will fit or not (even if it does look similar). Using an alloy BMN manifold you won't even need to leave the actuator in place, just fit a screw/bolt into the pipe to block it.

I had the exact same problem with my manifold & ended up removing it and doing a repair on the seal/linkage mech. The part that fails is a single tiny rubber seal that isn't protected from the heat in the manifold so it gets worn & is then not a tight fit either against the manifold or the rotating mechanism, a 50p part you cant buy, so Audi will try to charge £600+ for a new manifold instead. Total p*ss take.

I have a spare plastic manifold sat in my garage that I was in the process of removing the swirl flap assembly from so the side entry hole for the mechanism could be sealed over. If you definitely want to go ahead with a flap removal let me know and we might be able to work something out.

What do the swirl flaps actually do? Is it just a case of removing the mechanism? Mine has failed like yours.

Your smell of diesel? Do you get smoke? If i leave mine idling for a while i get white smoke and a strong fumey smell, then when i floor it i get clouds of smoke as if oil/fuel has built up somewhere and burns off when i floor it.

White smoke is usually either coolant leak into the cylinders, or fuel leak into the exhaust (usually due to poor timing). The swirl flaps are used to create extra 'tumble in the inlet so the air & fuel mixes properly at lower rpm when there is less airflow, it helps to improve the low rpm MPG. When you put your foot down or get over 2000rpm the flaps open as the airflow is strong enough to mix the air & fuel.

It's definitely not coolant, its smoke rather than steam/water vapour. I checked my oil level recently and noticed its over max. The cars booked into Darkside to have the DPF taken out as I've had enough of it!

Bought this. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171677022994
So here's hoping it fits. I'll keep you informed. If so there are a few more on eBay for a cheap replacement.

Have you looked into if this fits yet?

Dave.

IMG 2573 800x600
IMG 1654 800x600
IMG 2575 800x600
IMG 2576 800x600
Bought this. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171677022994
On researching BKD and BMN use the same inlet gasket http://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/products/2-0-16v-tdi-pd140-pd170-inlet-manifold-gasket.html so to remove flaps use BKD manifold.
Also found this which says fit BMN engine.
http://www.tornau-motoren.de/Saugro...da-VW-20-TDI-/-BMN-/-03G129713H-/-03G129711AR

So here's hoping it fits. I'll keep you informed. If so there are a few more on eBay for a cheap replacement.

Manifold gasket shown in your link is for alloy one on 140 bhp (not sure if an alloy one is around for the 170 never seen one).....not sure why Darkside advertise it as the bmn 170. If you are fitting an alloy replacement manifold this gasket will work.

If your replacement manifold is the plastic one with swirl flaps youll need the orange coloured gasket.

Take my word for it mate I've replaced my manifold (the plastic one) as it was leaking oil through the swirl flap actuator rod hole for the linkeage.

Modified part number is O3G129711AS. Germanautopartsdirect have them at £411.33 + vat (comes complete with manifold gasket)

As I understand you'll lose some low down torque on bottom end acceleration if you do away with the swirl flaps. The swirl flaps create turbulent air entering the engine.

BTW this is the gasket you'll need for the genuine plastic manifold....
http://www.darksidedevelopments.co....-16v-tdi-pd140-pd170-inlet-manifold-seal.html

Piccys i've attached show problem I had with mine leaking air / oil film on end of linkeage. Also show how gasket fits into groove in manifold & full gaskets needed to do whole job including egr & throttle body that needs to come off to access manifold.

Last edited:
The BKD 140 manifold 03G 129 713 fits the BMN 170.

I've spoke to Darkside and they confirmed it fits straight on. My swirl flaps have failed and will be fitting the £25 140 ally manifold to my 170.

Hopefully Neil will confirm this.

Dave.

The BKD 140 manifold 03G 129 713 fits the BMN 170.

I've spoke to Darkside and they confirmed it fits straight on. My swirl flaps have failed and will be fitting the £25 140 ally manifold to my 170.

Hopefully Neil will confirm this.

Dave.
Yeah think the 140 bhp alloy one fits but doesn't have swirl flaps so I understand. Lose a little bit of low down torque so will have to rev it a little more using the bhp instead of the torque. Extra use of fuel may only be negligible.....who knows?

I'm gonna fit it as I'm getting dpf removed and custom map so I guess they'll be able to map around having no swirl flaps.

The manifold I've bought is alloy hence needing BKD gaskets. There were a small number of BMN engines fitted with alloy manifolds. The manifold I bought is has swirl flaps so should solve the plastic manifold issue without the loss in torque.
Check the links within the post also shows as suitable for BRE engine which the alloy manifold comes from.

I'll keep you updated when fitted over weekend.

Not sure what the units of measurement are in Russia but it's interesting to note that the metal manifold weighs 27.2 compared to the plastic ones 13.4.

Not sure if that's the 140bhp engine though as there is an accumulator for the vacuum (plastic ball thing at front of engine), the egr valve is vacuum operated rather than electric as on the 170 bhp, & I cant see any swirl flaps or operating vacuum for either manifold.

Yeh think it's 140, I found a plastic 140 manifold minus swirl flaps on ebay. My 140 metal one arrives Monday and will be fitting it to my 170 when I get chance. Hopefully Neil will get his on this weekend and confirm fitment.

Any luck over weekend Neil? Mine arrived today

Hi WILKYA3 ANY LUCK FOR YOUR BKD MANIFOLD DOES IT FIT DIRECTLY TO YOUR BMN 170 ENGINE?

I fitted it last night, The BKD manifold fit straight on with the metal gasket off the BKD. The bolts I had needed shortened on the bottom as the manifold is thinner, there's a couple of brackets that needed "tweaked" but nothing major, the bracket that the dipstick attaches to I just mounted using the top bolt and left the lower one off. I've had no warning lights from removing the swirl flaps either.

Dave Wilky.

Forgot to ask wilky is there any power hesitation when pulling? Any difference?
how about the bolts you mention , does thick washers will help?

Last edited:
If you're replacing the manifold because it's leaking via the swirl flap linkage, you'll notice nothing but an improvement with the alloy replacement. Speaking of which, Early PD170 engines fitted in Seat Leon, VW Touran, & VW Golf came with an alloy manifold rather than plastic.

I Imagine you could get away with washers, but its 10mm so you'll need a few washers. I haven't noticed any difference, there's talk of less talk lower down but mine feels smoother but could just be physcological!

thank you for your quick reply. I'm going to try and get the proper bolts that came off the bkd manifold hopefully I can get one From the breakers.

It's a bit of a strange one as the point of the swirl flaps on the plastic manifold is meant to increase 'tumble' in the inlet flow, yet the manifold is designed to create smoother flow. The alloy manifold has no swirl flaps yet because of its rougher internal finish it creates a natural 'tumble' effect anyway. The only reasons for producing a plastic manifold is to reduce manufacturing costs, reduce weight, and reduce heat soak (which is negligible).

Reduce weight yes,reduce heat yes but not the cost.plastic one cost £600 from a dealer and it will not last because of the seal will be worn causing to leak.

The reduction in cost of the manifold is for the manufacturer (VAG), not the customer. It's such an essential part of the engine VAG know they can charge whatever they feel like for it & the customer will just have to accept it or have a faulty engine function.

Hi Max

I'm having the exact nightmare you had ..I have a golf 08 gt TDI 170 and its leaking air and oil through the hole where the actuator goes in. Loss of power and loss of ££££ according to Vw for their stupid bit of plastic. Sounds like you managed to repair yours any advice on how to do this ? I'm no mechanic by the way so would need to find some one to do this.

Jay. I swapped my plastic one for an alloy one. I've got rid of the swirl flaps and no engine management light on. I got a golf one for 35 quid on eBay which I fitted to my Audi.

Wilky what does it drive like now without the swirl flaps ?

What peed me off with it all is that vw group admitted there was a problem with the original design (in so much as they redesigned the original & seemed to give it a new part number). People are paying for untested products or they are building in a lifecycle.....we are the guinea pigs it would seem.

Jay. I swapped my plastic one for an alloy one. I've got rid of the swirl flaps and no engine management light on. I got a golf one for 35 quid on eBay which I fitted to my Audi.
I'm interested to know how your engine management light didn't come on? The swirl flap actuator (as I understand) has a limit switch in on it & if it doesn't fully open & close it throws up an engine check fault do I'm told.

No light as yet but have slight performance loss in the lower gears and its spitting air and oil where the actuator is located ...swirl flaps probably still working..garage did a quick test spraying some water in the area which made the engine splutter...

Bedders Vw take the p*** and are steadily losing their rep for reliability

Bedders did you replace yours with another plastic one with the swirl flaps ?

Bedders did you replace yours with another plastic one with the swirl flaps ?
Jay I did replace it with another plastic one with the swirls flaps from German Auto Spares Ltd off the net. Genuine vw/Audi/seat/skoda boxed part. £503.14 I paid may 2014. It's supposed to be modified to stop the leak so even if you get one from a scrappy it's probably an old style one & will eventually leak, Wanted over £600 for the part from the dealers. Came in the box with the manifold gasket. You'll also need gaskets for the egr valve & intake flap. Approx another 3 small seals / gaskets @ about £14. You can reuse the bolts for the manifold if you put a small amount of stud lock on them when refitting the manifold.

You are right vw group do take the p*ss with their prices & the quality of their products. I've written to Audi UK & my local dealer & told them to take me off their mailing list. Think that says it all what I think of their cars!

The reduction in cost of the manifold is for the manufacturer (VAG), not the customer. It's such an essential part of the engine VAG know they can charge whatever they feel like for it & the customer will just have to accept it or have a faulty engine function.
Short sighted view from the manufacturer in my opinion! Reliability & low running costs are on most people shopping list these days. Replacement of the manifold must be a £1000 job at the dealer through their poor design or acceptance of a suppliers poor design.

Every job on an Audi costs seems to cost a grand it's a joke. Turbo, dual mass flywheel, dpf.