A3 2.0 TDI 2009 ERG removal and clean guide please !

GavConner

Reaction score
Hi guys

My Audi has been stood for a few weeks as we have been away. Before that it ran a bit lumpy when it was cold but was fine after 5/10mins
I came to use it yesterday and after a few mins the glow plug light started flashing, engine went into limp mode and then engine light came on. I took it to the garage and the fault code given was the ERG. Chap in the garage said it needs replacing and was going to cost about £700 ! I'm just about to take delivery of a new company car and the Audi is up for sale after Christmas. So I'm not wanting to spend £700 if I dont have to.

I'm going to try to clean the ERG and see if its just a build up of gunk. The problem is that I can't seem to find a guide for my engine as its a 2.0 2009 TDI and the ones that keep popping up are the 1.9 and earlier. Please can somebody point me in the direction of one ?

Failing being able to clean the ERG I'm going to have to buy a new one ... This one looks alright - What are you thoughts ?

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/A...94e592affcd54a7c7c6e11920829caf66944b1&000117

A guide / video for my engine would be great if you can help me ?

Its EGR not ERG, you could buy that and fit yourself. Definitely wouldn't advise paying £700.

Another alternative would be to remove it and get it mapped.

Doh, EGR !

Could you point me in the direction of a guide as all the ones Ive found look like they are for 2008 or before. Mine is slightly different at 2009

Lunapic 131671390780050 13

Reactions: GavConner
Doh, EGR !

Could you point me in the direction of a guide as all the ones Ive found look like they are for 2008 or before. Mine is slightly different at 2009
Yours will be different as it is the Common Rail engine, I still think its very similar.

Thank you for the replies guys !!

Yeah, mine dosn't have the Anti Shudder Valve going over the front so thats whats confusing me a bit.

Also looks like my engine has much less room to work with so I can see the skin coming off my knuckles :)

Shall I just start at the bottom with the black hose, take that off, then the throttle body and then the EGR ?
I guess they could all do with a good clean !

Thank you for the replies guys !!

Yeah, mine dosn't have the Anti Shudder Valve going over the front so thats whats confusing me a bit.

Also looks like my engine has much less room to work with so I can see the skin coming off my knuckles :)

Shall I just start at the bottom with the black hose, take that off, then the throttle body and then the EGR ?
I guess they could all do with a good clean !

Sounds like a plan to me mate. Wouldn't mind giving mine a clean. Although I think you need new gaskets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like a plan to me mate. Wouldn't mind giving mine a clean. Although I think you need new gaskets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I'm going to pop to Audi before to buy some. Seen another thread on here with some part numbers but not sure they will fit mine.

Thanks for your help

Yes, I'm going to pop to Audi before to buy some. Seen another thread on here with some part numbers but not sure they will fit mine.

Thanks for your help
No problem, let us know how you get on and put up some pics!