A3 2.0 TDI 170 - great engine!

Keef

Reaction score
I currently have an A3 (2.0 TDI 170) as a loan car till my new B8 A4 2.0TDi Avant turns up! (Hopefully end on November)
So thought I’d have a look under the A3 heading and say hello!

As my vehicle is an exchange (it’s a long, long story) the stealership wanted my current car straight away so I was expecting a rubbish loan car!

However I have to say that the 170 2.0 TDI engine in the A3 is tremendous, much better than my old A4 (mind that was Quattro).
Load’s power / torque (perhaps almost too much for a front wheel drive car – well maybe in the wet!) and really economic, compared to my B7 A4 that is!

Tempted to change the wife’s car now for an A3 so I can use that as well!

I presume it's a pre-facelift model and therefore a PD engine? Or have you got the facelift version with the common rail diesel?

I like mine too. Much better than the 140 engine, its ready to go all the time and it doesn't run out of puff higher up the revs either.

Its on a 08 plate - so i guess its the PD engine not the common rail.
When did thwey start doing the common rail 170 in the A3?

If it's got the new lights, it's a facelift and will have the CR engine, although I think they're only currently with quattro. AFAIK, the 170's were available from Sept onwards although most dealers I've spoken to have said January delivery.

If its an 08 it will be the PD 170,

Very good engine i love mine so much Torque its great, like you say poss i little bit to much power in the wet...

I think the 2.0TDI 170 is excelent far more power and torque than my old 130 TDI A4 although that was still very good! I have quattro and notice a massive difference over the A4 in the wet.

Toby