a3 2.0 tdi 140 won't start

mat6413

Reaction score
Please help, i have a 2005 audi a3 2.0 tdi sport 140bhp. I got in it this mnorning and it wouldn't start, it took about 5 min to get it to fire. I put vagcom lite on, it has come up with glow plug circuit fault. Once it has started its fine for the rest of the day. I have booked it in to get it repaired, just looking for any ideas ? thanks mat6413

Mine sounds similar, its a ******* to start in the morning also.

the car sounds like a shed in the mornings, it has justed been serviced. I hope its a relay or something, not a ecu fault,

Last edited:
I thought glow plugs only work when the temperature was cold? A bit like a choke? Or am i totally wrong here?

just put new glow plugs in mine £40.00 delivered

Glow plugs do the same job as spark plugs, but in a different way. Basically a current is run through a wire in the plug until it "glows" hot enough, and that is then used to ignite the fuel.

If your car is struggling to start, ie doing that "coughing" noise as it attempts to fire but doesn't quite catch, then try turning the key to ignition, waiting until the glow plug light goes out and turning the key off, then repeating a couple of times... sometimes the problem is that the plugs aren't being heated up enough to ignite the fuel: several attempts to heat the plugs can help (which is also why they usually fire after a while, but it's less effective due to the fuel cooling the plug down each time you try and fail to properly turn the engine on)

Also effective when your battery is going flat or glow plugs are wearing out - not effective in petrol engines or if there's a problem with fuel/air going into the engine.

Reactions: Goner and tdi-man
first thing i would do is get some new glow plugs in there mate they are cheap to replace and if they are failing then the car will be a right pain to start

Glow plugs do the same job as spark plugs, but in a different way. Basically a current is run through a wire in the plug until it "glows" hot enough, and that is then used to ignite the fuel.

If your car is struggling to start, ie doing that "coughing" noise as it attempts to fire but doesn't quite catch, then try turning the key to ignition, waiting until the glow plug light goes out and turning the key off, then repeating a couple of times... sometimes the problem is that the plugs aren't being heated up enough to ignite the fuel: several attempts to heat the plugs can help (which is also why they usually fire after a while, but it's less effective due to the fuel cooling the plug down each time you try and fail to properly turn the engine on)

Also effective when your battery is going flat or glow plugs are wearing out - not effective in petrol engines or if there's a problem with fuel/air going into the engine.

Ahhh i see, makes sense now! Thanks :salute:

first thing i would do is get some new glow plugs in there mate they are cheap to replace and if they are failing then the car will be a right pain to start

Also while the top is off i'd check the injector loom for oil ingress