A3 2.0 TDI 140 JUDDER, VIBRATION ON IDLE, JUST HAD NEW CLUTCH & DUEL MASS FLY WHEEL!

chrisy t

Reaction score
Hi guys, i have just had a new clutch and deul mass fly wheel fitted, long with a new cylinder, and the car vibrates on idle, it kinda judders, it does my head in. However i notice that it doesnt do it all the time. I seem to remember it doing it before i got the cluch at flywheel done, but it seems worse now. It could just be me, if i put the revs up slightly it dissapears. Anybody any ideas? I would realy like it to stop. Its driving me mad! Cost me a fortune to get the clutch done too!!!

Cheers

Chris

i seem to remember on my old a3 same spec as your doing this and my research was that it was the exhaust fumes traveling back up the exhaust into the engine.. dont hold me to that though

Mine does the same but when the car is stoped it make vibration 4 2seconds dn stops n repeats again until the car moves again. seems to only do it after the car has been driving ova 15mins

vibration is usually play in the flywheel

If your car has a BKD engine then it's possibly to do with the injector wiring loom.

Common problem easily fixed with a new one.

mine was doing the same thing mate, although i had the loom replaced and it didnt cure the peoblem :( just posted again on the thread i created.

hope yours is just the loom mate. i think mine was 157 pounds fitted

Hi. My a3 tdi has exactly the same symptoms. What did you end up replacing in the end?

THIS IS A COMMON FAULT ON BKD ENGINE CODE. IT COULD BE THE FUELING IS TO LOW ON IDLE. ALSO COULD BE TIMING OUT.
MINE YOU COULD BE ALOT OF THINGS

If your car has a BKD engine then it's possibly to do with the injector wiring loom.

Hi mike
whats the product code for that wiring loom??
cheers
55plate A3 sport
2.0tdi

Sorry mate - no ETKA anymore. Version 7.2 has timed out and can't be used and version 7.3 I can't get to work !!

Well peed off I can tell you !

How's the Premiership ??

is this anything to do with the air con or climate control??? my a4 seems to have this and is getting worse.

timings prob out . not been set correct.

My car does this i have been told that my EGR vavle is on its way out and leaking fumes. Dont if that helps just putting my input.

I have recently had a new turbo fitted and the vibration is not as bad now but is still there, engine mount could do with being replaced too.

I had the exact same problem with my A3 2.0TDI-140 BKD '06. On idle the car sometimes judders and there's squeaking around the v-belt area. It goes away for a minute when put in neutral before it comes back. The Audi dealership in Iceland diagnosed it as a bad alternator clutch pulley. They put in a new one and it seemed to fix the problem.

I also have the flywheel noise(ticking) when the car has been idling for a minute or two, but that's a whole other problem.

Hope this helps.

// Andri

This isn't anything to do with engine mounts is it? I used to have GRP N ones for my old car and they vibrated like a ****er! until you rev'd it.. If they are loose/not been tightened up enough they could cause this?

Hi, this is for mike foster.
I have had a mare with Audi for the las month over the failing injector probs. VOSA told me that both the 140 & the 170's are affected. Long story short, audi incorrectly did a diagnosis on my car instead of checking my injectors!. They charged me over hundred quid for it too. They said the diagnosis came up with a fault on the EGR. I made some noise cause I want my money back & Audi took the car back in & checked the injectors for free. I have been to a super Audi mechanic today & he's told me that my flywheel is f****d. He went on to say that my EGR is vacuum operated& not electronic. He said the vacuum operated EGR'S don't go. He also said the injectors don't go in the 140 BKD engines like mine, he insisted this even when I told him Vosa backed it!
Have been checking out flywheel probs when I came across this thread. I saw your reply mike about the injector loom on the BKD engines. What probs they have then?
My car shudders on the 1st 3-4 turns on startup & then fires up & runs perfectly. This is intermediate, sometimes wont start straight up at all 1 shudder, sometimes 2. you get the picture. This mechanic moonlighting from Audi is 100% its my flywheel. Any ideas? Gonna cry myself to sleep now.

THIS IS A COMMON FAULT ON BKD ENGINE CODE. IT COULD BE THE FUELING IS TO LOW ON IDLE. ALSO COULD BE TIMING OUT

vw did a ecu update for the same engine code and ecu number which adjusts the fueling on idle also rear timing cam could be out

BKD engine, I know exactly what you're on about, mine does the same, but it doesn't always do it. However I have noticed vibration when I hold the gear leaver back in say 4th gear for example. Anything VCDS can point out?

Also, when I press the clucth slightly, I can feel vibration through the pedal, but it doesnt do this all the way down.

Hi mike
whats the product code for that wiring loom??
cheers
55plate A3 sport
2.0tdi

I'll check later for you, in Uni now, if someone doesnt get back to you before then.

Last edited:
i have the judder issue only on idle though. have been advised to replace my engine mounts as they are knackered?
IIRC if you put the clutch down on idle and the rumbling stops then its a flywheel issue, if the runbling continues then its not the flywheel but could be a whole range of other things.
i suspected it to be an injector but as i have been told my engine mounts need replacing i will be doing that next month and then will see where i am with this issue.

I am also fed up vibrations on Idle. Was not expecting this sort of behaviour from this make. Went to Independent Garage and they cleaned all the filters which were bit dirty and treated the car with fuel injector cleaner. I have requested the mechanics at the garage to check flywheel and clutch, but according to them it is nothing wrong with them. To be honest vibration is still there when you press the clutch. There is bit of knock when you rest the foot on the clutch. Different people different opinions, some say flywheel, some say nothing wrong, etc....

Even I went to Audi garage and as usual nothing wrong with the car.

Today when I was driving the car, with bit of vibration I got a "DPF" message on the screen. Now I have to drive the car for 10 -15 min on the motorway to eliminate this message.

Coming back what to do with the vibration. Somebody in this thread mentioned about exhaust fumes, that might be the case.. do not know how to get it checked....hmmmm

Audi A3 2008 Tdie (32k only)

I had the same problem with my 2004 golf gt tdi ( Bkd engine) spend stupid amounts of money on it , from the egr to the flywheel. The problem still persisted! The dealership stated that the injectors had to be changed , which would cost £800!!! After trawling the net it seemed that the earlier Bkd engines suffered from a cracked engine heads?

checking timing manually both cams and also check fueling on idle.

I had the same problem with my 2004 golf gt tdi ( Bkd engine) spend stupid amounts of money on it , from the egr to the flywheel. The problem still persisted! The dealership stated that the injectors had to be changed , which would cost £800!!! After trawling the net it seemed that the earlier Bkd engines suffered from a cracked engine heads?

I also have the same problem, my car is an Audi a3 tdi sport 2004, done many checks and tried many things, but i think you are right and it has got something to do with the porosity of the cylinder head, as it slowly lets water in the car starts to idle and it sometimes struggles to start, but this may progress over a long period of time and can become worse. Im sick of it now, just going to watch the coolant level and leave it as it is, nothing major, just annoying.

A4 2.0Tdi BLB 05 -Mine shuddered / rocked at idle,removed EGR/Anti-shudder valve,were absolutely hanging. Cleaned up,put back,75% improvement. It will do for now.

Hi, mine does the same vibrations and judder on idle. It was doing it before i did the clutch and flywheel change.. It is still there now after all that, so what is it? Mine is BKD engine so if it is the injector wiring loom, how much is it to buy and any fitment instructions? Anyone share a link as to how it looks like?

Regards

Common problem easily fixed with a new one.[/QUOTE]

Hi there, my 2007 2.0tdi 140 BKD engine is sweet, yet I've had the judder only on start up, hot or cold. I turn the key & the engine goes kerchack - kerchack vroom :sorry:. Not the best comparison but it's the way it sounds. I've had a new DMFW, starter motor, new timing belt yet nothing will stop it. It is slightly better though since the work.
Audi seen not to give a flying f**k about their customers. All of these faults on here mirrored my many yet they do NOTHING!
I've even written to the factory & guess what they said.
"This is an isolated incident, we've not heard of this from any of our other customers, so we're unable to help at this juncture!
Yeh right!
As soon as I've saved up, I'm ditching Audi altogether for Dacia:undwech: They're no help whatsoever period!
rant over!:mad:

Hi guys im new on this n ive had the same issue car judders n vibrates in idle specialy from cold start, audi hav just told me its the flywheel making this happen as they checked injectors and they are working fine. Can the flywheel do this??

injection timing .

the timing on these engines has to be bang on or u will get a shudder on idle.

Hi there, I have been having a problem since I bought my 2007 A3 SBK 140bh BKD!
I get a shudder when I turn the ignition key, its for approx. 1.5 - 2seconds. It's like chukka chukka vroom! Excuse my analogy lol, this is hot & cold start!. I have had a new DMFW + a new starter motor & timing belt. None of this has solved my issue! It reduced a little with a new battery, but it's still there after £1300 spent! I wrote to Audi in Germany & explained my issues with my car, guess what? They said they have never received any complaints of this nature so they are UNABLE to help at this time. Yeh right! So all you guys with judder issues write to the Germans! If anyone knows a fix please help as Audi has had my car 3 times & haven't been able to solve this issue, useless! Are injector looms expensive?? Cheers

I had this exact problem on my Audi A3 2.0tdi BKD 55plate , wobble at idle once at 90, After a few months of playing about with replacing injectors , loom , timing torsional adjustment, I finally bit the bullet and sent it to my local indy, they sorted it the same day and at a relatively minor cost from what I had spent so far ..... Lesson learnt it think I would recommend these guys if your having running issues VAG Technik in Eccles Manchester.

charlie ... thats the same answer you gave in 4 different threads.... are you on a back hander from VAG technik ??? :highly amused: LOL !!

can you expand a little on what was done to fix yours and how much it cost ?

cheers :) !

injector timing. plus rear cam timing needs to b bang on and needs to be set manualy and front cam can b set in vag com

charlie ... thats the same answer you gave in 4 different threads.... are you on a back hander from VAG technik ??? :highly amused: LOL !!

can you expand a little on what was done to fix yours and how much it cost ?

cheers :) !
Just trying to give people on a number of threads the heads up lol , I spent months looking on various forums , they charged me an hours labour and invoice states software adaption, after checking cam torsion value, the lad I spoke to said a number of things can cause it but in this case the adaptation sorted it .....

Guy at work lives near and uses them....rates them highly.

Guy at work lives near and uses them....rates them highly.
Seemed to know their stuff TBH , bit sceptical of garages in general, been ripped off in the past so try to do as much of my own stuff as possible .

I know I'm a bit late to this thread, but I had a similar problem with idle judder. My car didn't do it all the time. Turned out to be the wiring loom for the injectors. The guy who fixed it said "the clue was in the fact that the car started straight away, so we knew it was the loom." It's a common fault due to the wires being exposed to heat and oil over time.