A3 2.0 8v tdi s line, looking to buy

nik patel

Reaction score
Website
www.simplydents.co.uk
Hi guys

Should be buying one in the next couple of weeks, I have a 1.8T A3, mk1, 2.0 fsi sport mk2, now getting the above, please advise what things to look out when purchasing the car, any common faults?

I'm driving a '15 A3 TDI loaner car right now, and its pretty slow and turbo laggy off the line compared to my A3 2.0T (TFSI) . Worse the TDIs in America before they got banned are all non-Quattro.

Thanks, I test drove a 2012 and thought it was ok for a diesel.

Anyone else got any pointers as to what to look for?

Reactions: Kalashnikov
Condition(obviously)

Does it have everything the car came with(cigarette lighter, rear parcel shelf etc etc. dealers have a habit of taking bits off other cars to put on cars that need bits instead of buying them!)

Does it have the service book that comes with the car, which also includes the build sheet that is stuck on the 1st page(if it does you can mach up the VIN numbers)

Has the services been correctly been carried out as to what Audi wanted from new(this maintains the Audi warranty). If it is NOT stamped in the service book then it should be on the myaudi section on the Audi website). If there is NO record then that well need investigating before buying!

Does the car come with the Sat Nav. If yes then make sure the Compact flash card is there and the Sat Nav is working!

Ask if they can chuck in a set of rubber mats with the deal(you know the saying, what you don't ask for you don't get)

Ask if they do any Gap Insurance deals, saying that, it might be offered anyway ?(worth looking into if you haven't thought about it before ?)

Last edited:
Thanks, what I want to know is what are the common faults with this model such as the DPF? Any rattles? Turbos failing early etc

Reactions: Kalashnikov
Condition(obviously)

Does it have everything the car came with(cigarette lighter, rear parcel shelf etc etc. dealers have a habit of taking bits off other cars to put on cars that need bits instead of buying them!)

Does it have the service book that comes with the car, which also includes the build sheet that is stuck on the 1st page(if it does you can mach up the VIN numbers)

Has the services been correctly been carried out as to what Audi wanted from new(this maintains the Audi warranty). If it is NOT stamped in the service book then it should be on the myaudi section on the Audi website). If there is NO record then that well need investigating before buying!

Does the car come with the Sat Nav. If yes then make sure the Compact flash card is there and the Sat Nav is working!

Ask if they can chuck in a set of rubber mats with the deal(you know the saying, what you don't ask for you don't get)

Ask if they do any Gap Insurance deals, saying that, it might be offered anyway ?(worth looking into if you haven't thought about it before ?)
They don't have a service book to stamp, all electronic...

Reactions: Bittern
I just a brought a3 tdi last month

Check honest jon reviews

Get someone with vcds cable to check faults if buying private, don't think.a dealer will allow you to plug in a laptop.

Check dpf values. Max limit of oil ash volume is 80g. Otherwise it's a new DPF.

Check tires, check for oil leaks Check for accident damage inside boot and bonnet.

It really depends on what year and mileage and how much you will be spending. Especially if you buy from dealer you pay extra but get warranty.

If I buy a car I test every feeking button setting and switch. Check all doors and windows.

Importantly a good hpi Check and check all the paper along with history.

Generally a 3 year old car regardless of miles, if serviced correctly will have nothing drastically wrong.

So if it don't feel right, walk away

Good luck

Oh and call the dealership where the car was sold, the will give you a history of the cars service. Don't accept a peice of paper print from a pirvate seller.

Cross check everything. Buying a used car doesn't need to be painful. Common sense and calm

Hi

Just bought it today 2.0 TDI S-line 62,000 on the clock from a reputable dealer with Sat nav and usual extras. I checked all switches etc and for leaks etc, all seemed fine. Will post pics when I collect on Tuesday!:cheerful:. Plans in the next few weeks are to get the bumpers resprayed due to chips and wrap the window trim and grille black gloss.

I have the 1.6tdi and it's been faultless for going on 16 months. I'd assume the 2.0 would be as reliable. Really enjoying my car, not the fastest car I've owned but it's great for the journeys I do and returns over 45 in town and 55-60 + on a run.
Go buy and enjoy.

Reactions: Kalashnikov and pburv
My bad. Got a Servicde book. Records now printed and kept in the back. Shows how much I looked at my stuff when I got it.
Asked my dealer for the service book when I picked up my car and was told they don't issue them anymore?
They give you a printed copy whenever a service is carried out so I believe..:friends:

Asked my dealer for the service book when I picked up my car and was told they don't issue them anymore?
They give you a printed copy whenever a service is carried out so I believe..:friends:

Yip. Wee slot at the back of the book with service record on each bit of paper. Liked having a service book. :bye:

Reactions: pburv
Here it is guys, picked it up yesterday in the dam rain. Got home and it was sunny so spent 3 hours detailing.

Missing my BMW E90 325i M Sport a little as it was Auto and had a couple of more extras. Loving the A3 though with the MMI and much fresher styling and interior!

Plan in the next few weeks is to tint the windows a little and wrap the chrome window trim black gloss along with the grille. Then start looking at more power with a remap, can anyone recommend a good reliable one?

Attachments

• IMG_5819.JPG
    IMG_5819.JPG
    421.6 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_5832.JPG
    IMG_5832.JPG
    590.4 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_5839.JPG
    IMG_5839.JPG
    797.3 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_5840.JPG
    IMG_5840.JPG
    407.7 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_5841.JPG
    IMG_5841.JPG
    678.9 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_5842.JPG
    IMG_5842.JPG
    658.5 KB · Views: 242
Reactions: MKC, pburv, Scottyg and 1 other person
Very nice @nik patel! :yum:

I'm still 50/50 weather to get the chrome and grill souround wrapped, I don't know if it would suit since I have a Daytona Grey (seen plenty of pictures too) I've been going back and forth and can't make up my mind.

Keep the chrome as it classy?... Or dechrome and make it look mean?:shrug:

Nice car Nik Patel. I just got mine too over the weekend. Keep wanting to go for drives, that interior is such a nice place to be!

Just a point, mine is a 14 plate and i didnt get a service book. I rang Audi and they emailed me the records they have for my car. Also if you register on the MyAudi section it should all come up. Audi told me that service books are no longer issued.

Hi MKC, i personally think chrome is old school, I prefer the black gloss, just waiting for my mate to wrap it. :grinning: Will send a pic when it is done.

Reactions: batch
Got her a bit cheaper than the dealer wanted as i have to get a new key cut and didnt come with mats. so haggled down the price to cover this. Normal 1.6tdi Sport spec. seems standard from waht i have seen on autotrader etc...

On a note about the chrome, i love it as it is! im not a fan of all black with no stand out parts. I think the chrome looks great. The worst for me would be balck car with black wheels. just doesnt look good in my opinion!! :welcoming:

I'm a fan of the black wheels but it depends on the car etc. More cars these days have black wheels as standard or diamond cut rims with black bits.

Hi MKC, i personally think chrome is old school, I prefer the black gloss, just waiting for my mate to wrap it. :grinning: Will send a pic when it is done.

I agree. However I somewhat think the chrome compliments the Daytona grey.

Has anyone got any photos of Daytona Grey in the BSP or dechromes.

Anyone with any form or input whatsoever is greatly appreciated ☺️

I've had a revo remap done on my 150 TDI a few weeks ago. Worth every penny, and that's just because the wife no longer says it is underpowered! (She drives it every day).

Just more useable and more enjoyable, takes it to 190bhp. Still a very civilised power delivery but that's the way of the modern diesel.

It does.... I have the 184ps and have been running a dtuk box for over a year, no issues. Pulls like a train, so so different than without one. Third gear 2000rpm up is just crazy..

Only point is it maybe decokes a bit more. Mpg I get around 44mpg around town, 52ish in a run brim to brim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It does.... I have the 184ps and have been running a dtuk box for over a year, no issues. Pulls like a train, so so different than without one. Third gear 2000rpm up is just crazy..

Only point is it maybe decokes a bit more. Mpg I get around 44mpg around town, 52ish in a run brim to brim

What are your setting?

I tend to shift between 3+2 and 1+2

Reactions: Phil-1
@nik patel get yourself a dtuk tuning box, you wont regret it.
I got the same engine as yours and they are nippy as they are without a tuning box but tell you what once you stick one on you'll be more than happy.
Currently going through different settings at the min. Started on the 3+3 and working my way down(slowly) so far im liking the 2+1. Delivery is smooth and the power is there when you need it.

Found myself a nice clear stretch last week and pulling 134 with still some to go.
Consumption is great to, Full tank returned me 517mls (60%motorway...the rest with a lead foot)

Honestly for a diesel this thing surprises some on the motorway, even 6th gear pull is much more responsive than I imagined.