a3 18t agu engine turbo smoking need help what to do plzz read

mk1kid

Reaction score
hi lads i have a 1998 a3 18t 150 bhp agu engine basically cars smoking when started for few mins so took it to a local garage and done some checks they reckon its turbo related maybe exhaust side seals are fukd so thinking how hard would it be to get a k04 of ebay ive been looking on this forum and guessing i need a s3/tt exhaust manifold just wondered what else i need and is it worth it any help is very gratefull as got mot in october and want to get it sorted for then if possible thanks

First point to make dude, is that use of grammar makes things much easier to read!

Secondly, if it only smokes on start, then it might be the turbo, but if it ONLY smokes on startup then I would imagine it would be the valve stem seals. What colour is the smoke? This gives an indication as to what is being burnt.

All the usual questions apply here. Does it smoke on boost? Does it consume a lot of oil?

hi mate sorry about the grammer lol .right when i start it from cold its ok for 2-5 mins then its bluey white smoke with a strong smell of oil its not using much oil as i done a filter change the weekend to see if tht whould help but still the same if i rev to 2k its smokes but not on boost mainly at idle and low revs

white smoke indicated water iirc? im sure ill be corrected. what condition was your oil in? was it milky?

EDIT: saying that when i blew a turbo that spewed out white smoke...

Last edited:
no black m8 its not smoking like a steam train as in pure white smoke its like u burny oily smell like a bluey colour if tht helps

Yep, sounds about right. If it's not immediately on startup then Turbo would be where I would be looking. Whats the mileage?

136k to be honest since ive had the car (4months) most the pcv pipes have split vacum hoses etc. basically i got a kn filter bailey dv and a cat back exhaust. im thinking now k04 instead of a k03 but what do you lads reckon

Hate to bring it up mate, but I have a K03S for sale..... Low mileage, 230 bhp capable on an AGU engine with a map, and no need to change anything to fit it - unlike a K04. PM me if you're interested.

Not just trying to flog my turbo, but a K04 change for you is a lot of work. Not just the turbo, but downpipe, injectors, fuel pump.

:( that was gonna be my turbo :( Stupid moneys :(
:keule:

never know if you still have it welly when me money comes in.... i mite not be able to resist!! haha! :eyebrows:

Last edited:
:( that was gonna be my turbo :( Stupid moneys :(
:keule:

never know if you still have it welly when me money comes in.... i mite not be able to resist!! haha! :eyebrows:

Sorry bud. I was willing to hold it for you as you know. Much love :(

yeh i know mate.. i apriciate that dude i felt it best to tell you as i did to sell it as i cant guarentee i can buy it when i get my redunancy doe. You are a star for offering to hold it for how ever long this ****** moneys gonna take to get to me! :friends: wasnt a digg geeza! :beerchug:

To fit a K04, you will need:

Leon Cupra R Fuel pump.

S3 injectors.

K04 Turbo.

Suitable downpipe (as K03 one won't fit - anywhere close)

K04 Manifold.

Uprated MAF.

Silicone TIP.

Modified charge pipe.

A FMIC.

The list goes on.....

LOL.

To fit a K04, you will need:

Leon Cupra R Fuel pump.

S3 injectors.

K04 Turbo.

Suitable downpipe (as K03 one won't fit - anywhere close)

K04 Manifold.

Uprated MAF.

Silicone TIP.

Modified charge pipe.

A FMIC.

The list goes on.....

LOL.

and alot of bacon buttys and cups of tea and coffee!

K03s makes a lot of sense, with the right setup, it would be a very nice car to drive.. with little cost compared to K04

After speaking with mk1Kid for most of the eve via pm it seems the fella is running a BOV which is attached to the IC pipe that goes onto the TB. He tells me that the BOV is not very loud. This indicates to me that as well as dumping little bits of boost to the air we breath hes also been stalling fk out of his turbo,as its not opening properlly, as such Causing this problem with his turbo.

Does this sound like a liable prognosis?

If its mounted where you say then he may have a cold side relocation kit... if he does have a BOV rather than a diverter valve then he will be getting probs with the running of his engine but as long as it is dumping when needed the turbo will not be affected by this... he should of course change it to a DV sooner rather than later... VAG 1.8t's are not really the sort of engine that is suitable to make big dump valve noises...

There are quite a few things that could contribute to the oil smoke but not sure the turbo is the culprit here... difficult to say for sure really as it could be stem seals as Welly has suggested, could also be a poorly PCV system thats drawing oil into the engine under vacuum or could be as simple as over filling the oil as this will be dumped back into the charge system and burnt through the engine...

<tuffty/>

nice one tuffty, hence why i posted up this as i know you lot know miles more than me and i aint stupid. lol its hard to see without looking at it. Did bailey do a cold side kit for Audi? thats what threw me thats all. and the fact it farted other than tissshed made me think the above.
:thumbsup:

i will post a pic up tomoz of theengine aand where the dv is thanks lads

nice one tuffty, hence why i posted up this as i know you lot know miles more than me and i aint stupid. lol its hard to see without looking at it. Did bailey do a cold side kit for Audi? thats what threw me thats all. and the fact it farted other than tissshed made me think the above.
:thumbsup:

I would imagine it's just the Forge cold side relocation kit with a bailey valve attached. You can slap whatever you want into those pipes, be it an atmospheric valve or a diverter, Forge or Bailey.

If it's not maaking much noise - I expect it's just shagged to be fair. When I bought my A3 some nobber had fitted a Bailey atmospheric dump valve to it, and the thing used to make one hell of a din. Swapped straight out for a Forge 007P.