A3 140TDI Throttle Actuator Motor - Help please!

Stevie C

Stevie C
Reaction score
Hi,
My Throttle Actuator Motor on a 140bhp A3 TDI Sport (2004) is stuck open so i am looking for a replacement. Does anyone else other than Audi make one or do i need geniune OEM? if so any idea on a price or does anyone on the forum have one for sale?

I think the part number is 038 128 063G (or could be 03G 128 063G)
Any advice would be fantastic!

BTW - G is the old unit. I think L or M are the latest ones and they dont get stuck anymore as it is a common prob on our engines!

Thanks guys. I take it the Part number is 038 128 063G then. Will the new L/M still do the job and do they have the motor too?

Did you buy the replacement direct from Audi? if so what did it set you back if you dont mind me asking??

Hi, I'm about to do mine, any tips for changing or is it straightforward?Thanks

Straight forward just 3 bolts i think. Very easy to do, only tricky bit might be getting to the bolts.

i took mine to my mates garage yesterday sunday 4th december 2011 and we took off the egr valve and anti shudder/throttle body and cleaned them both out with JLM egr/intake cleaner , the dirt was flying off like anything just gave it a proper good clean with a tooth brush got the part sparkling and put it all back together and fitted red silicone hoses i got aswel think there forge ones and the engine management light went off by itself and the fault was cleared by itself, but when i turn the car off theres a ticking noise for about a couple off seconds.
the power is back to normal it wheel spins in 2nd and even third which is amazing only my dad drives it like that :-/ lol, other than the ticking noise the problem is solved, when i plugged the car in to vagcom no faults were present apart from the canbus number plate light fault which i knew was going to be there, im very pleased so before you buy a new anti shudder/throttle body clean it, only takes 2 hours and paid mate £20 for time

TDI140 how did you get to the third bolt at the back? I've just attempted mine but couldn't get the third bolt! I was using an allen key which was quite long so maybe that's the problem - it being so long. But how did you get to it? I can't use the allen key anymore anyway as I've now lost it in the engine bay! :eek:

ohhh not a good thing then ermm i got mine in first time cut my hands up though cuts everywhere never going to be the same again,

1.okay basically leave the egr valve vaccum pipe off so its out the way and the bottom throttle body hose off and out the way, then screw the extra long bolt in using your thumb and the other finger next to it slowly it takes time to go through the throttle body and the egr valve housing and it finally gets to the intake manifold,

2.when its as tight as you can get it with your hands its ready for the 5mm alen key the short bit needs to be put into the bolt head and tightened as tight as you can get it, so sorry you need the key you dropped buddy

3.to get the key shake the under tray until its reachable through fog light gap fog light grills just pull off on a sport model

4.get the short L shape bit of the key in the bolt head and tighten, and bob your uncle ;)

and oh yeah if the long screw isnt going in easy with your hands it means the egr and throttle body housing isnt aligned with the holes so you need to keep them both aligned whilst screwing in the bolt. and it is essential for the bolt to be tight as you dont want loose parts on your pride and joy

if you need help dont hesitate to ask

Sorry I mean how did you get the bolt out! haha. I haven't been able to get the damn thing off yet! The EGR vacuum pipe, is that the metal one that bolts to the right side of the thorttle body with two allen bolts? Thanks

I think i used a wrench with the correct head on it, try that maybe if your alle key is too long.

My car broke down today with this issue, mine is a 170 with a manifold intake control flap error.

3 bolts and one wiring connector.

I am getting the part tomorrow, £227 from Audi.

Will let you know what tools are needed.

You can get the part from GSF for £200, and they usually have it in stock.

use allen key short side to loosen then use your fingers to take out, it takes a while though, and bobs your uncle.

ive just had a call from audi saying one of my fans arnt working :S, do you guys think its a fuse ? and which one would it be if its related to the throttle body fault ? the throttle body is fine its just the intake manifold flap whatever that is ??? and the fan which is not working which must be fuse related ???

any clues ??????

ok dont think the fault was fixed by cleaning it if audi say its still the intake manifold flap :( because its blown the fuse now :/ for the fan, please tell me what fuse it is thanks,

guess the only way to fix the problem is to change the throttle body if thats what the IMF is... im confused ???

ok they told me in plain english that basically the faults were E177 fuse for fan which has blown due to the manifold flap being jammed open with gunk when the engine is off, it should be closed,
and fault number two is V157 intake manifold flap AKA throttle body we call it throttle body as it looks like a throttle body but diesels dont have throttle bodies according to martin at audi must be true hes the man with the plan lol. so instead of throttle body its called intake manifold flap AKA IMF

im gutted after all that cleaning and cutting up my hands its still got a fault, unless the fault is present due to not changing the fuse which had blown hmmmmmmm will try that tomorrow and repost on here ill keep you posted guys so you dont waste time like me and mess around cleaning lol

Cleaning doesnt help much because the problem is in the mechanism of the flap, the gears are plastic and break and once thats happened no amount of cleaning will fix it.

thanks roman3000 i will replace the part then, will replacing the fuse sort the fault out for a little while ??

I thought you replaced it, but read it again and seams that you just cleaned it?
Im not sure if replacing the fuse will help much because as soon as the car tries to move the flap when you turn the car off it might pop the fuse again. You can give it a go, it wont do any harm to the car, might work for a little while.

no i just cleaned it but audi plugged it in today and came up with E177 (F8 fuse) fault code and V157 (IMF) so ive cleaned it but didnt change the fuse,

and do you know what fan that fuse actually stops working ?? because the front large fans are working fine, the audi 2.0 tdi doesnt have a fan on the ECU does it ??? worried if thats been off :/

Hi, did you have a p2108 code? If so what did u do to fix?
Thanks