A3 1.9TDi Starting / Running Problems 55 plate

JCMCN

Reaction score
Having issues with my A3, When left outside over night in rain I have problems getting it started. The engine turns over but will not fire, after several attempts it finally fires but very irratic with the 'glowplug' light on, then conks out. After several re-tries the engine eventually fires but this time with both the glow plug light and the emissions warning!!! after this the car runs like a 'burst couch' no Cruise control and no power above 3000revs for a few minutes then all is ok. Once driven until engine temp is up and after stopping the engine all warning lights go out and everything is fine. Also when driving in rain there is often a few huffs and puffs then warning lights come on!!! The most confusing thing is on dry days or dry nights left out all is ok. I now garage every night to ensure a perfect start in morning:sos:

sorry if this is patronising but do you wait for the coil glow plug light to go out before starting it everytime?

it sounds like the glow plugs are not getting the temp warm enough in the cylinders to start...

if you are doing the routine as above then possibly an injectors issue?? Maybe worth using a dose of Forte diesel additive or similar to clean the injectors out or throw a few tanks of V-Power diesel in...

Yip, always wait patiently, have done since a kid driving tractors. Strange thing is the rain issue!! surely if injectors were at fault it would be permanent? I did get a Diagnostic done with no faults at time. Have tried to get on machine when the faults develope but however at the wrong place at the wrong time

the rain could be causing condensation to build somewhere then possibly...would probably lead me to think electrical.

If it's ok starting in the garage but not outside especially in the now low temperatures then perhaps the glow plugs need changing?? Trouble is I would be surprised if they need changing after 4 years.

Unfortunately it's not a clear cut way to find the problem...maybe worth taking a few videos with sound when the problem appears and note temperature and weather at that time and go from there...