A3 1.8T

A31.8T

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've just purchased a V Reg (1999) A3 1.8T.. and just wanted to know it is essential to warm up the engine prior to driving the vehicle and same for before switching the engine off? How long should I leave it running before driving?

its not essential to warm up totally before you drive, but i always sit for a couple of minuts before i move off, just to make sure good oil pressure for the turbo ect, and as a personel prefference again i always sit for a minute or 2 before i switch off, again its all to do with oil tothe turbo, if you switch your engine off straight away it cuts the oil feed to the turbo, so if your is still spinning with no oil, then it can get damaged quite quickly!!!!! hope that helps.

Pretty much what he said.

No need to warm it up before setting off really, just go steady til it's up to temp. As for shutting down, either let it idle for a minute or else drive off boost for the last few miles of the journey. Just to prolong the life of the turbo.

Last edited:
have you got any plans for any mods etc. And as said, let it warm up before giving it some, and let it cool down after giving it some.

Thanks for the help. Erm, no plans for mods as of yet. Any cheap recommendations?:lmfao:

erm not any that will give you better performance lol. For a remap you wants a better panel filter, most people get green cotton, and a forge dv. Or you can find tuners that put this into a bundle with a remap, youll be looking at £350 though.