A3 1.8T

RacingTeatray

Freezing in Moscow
Reaction score
I've been given a standard A3 1.8T as a courtesy car while my S3 is in the dealers for some work. It's one of the ritzy run-out jobs with 17" alloys and 1/2 leather and it's the first time I've driven the standard 1.8T. I must say that it is really rather nice. Much nippier than I would have thought and seems a bit nimbler than the S3 (perhaps because lighter?)

One thing that struck me climbing back into an A3 after the S3 - has anyone else noticed that the A3 sports seats seem to hug you tighter and be more comfy than the S3's recaro seats?

Yes I much prefer them to the recaro's, they actually fold forward without giving you a hernia as well.

Thats one thing in the A3 i've never had a problem with. The seats are actually really comfortable even on a long journey and do hold you in quite nicely. The facelift seats do so even more. The only thing i dont particularly like is the cloth pattern, but its not too bad.

Rich

I'm not a huge fan of the seats in my A3 - I would guess they're identical to yours Rich as my 1.8T is the same age & colour as yours. I never seem to be able to get them comfortable and they occasionally give me a bad back. The side bolsters are a bit too far apart for me too so I tend to slide around a bit under hard cornering. The only thing I don't mind is the cloth pattern!

My RS2000 had Recaros which were much better than the A3 seats (apart from the cloth pattern) so I'm surprised to hear people don't rate the Recaros in the S3.

racingteatray where abouts from central london are you? I have the facelift leather A3 seats but i was thinking of getting a hold of some S3 seats. i like mine but thought the recaros were better?

I think the seats in the S3 are excellent, they are not the most hugging of seats if that makes sense, but I find it's the only car I've been in for very long periods of time where I don't start aching etc. think they did a very good job! the best seats I've been in for holding you in place on a non daft car were in an alfa 156 in italy you really sank into them.

The recaros are very comfortable -especially with the electric lumbar support and the base-extender thingy - but they just don't hold you in place as well as the heavily bolstered jobs in my old TQ or this 1.8T which I've got on loan.

I'm in the Docklands near Surrey Quays.

I think the seats in my 02 1.8T are really good, good support all round and enough adjustability for me.

Only down side is that my Mrs absolutley hates the passenger seat! she thinks its the most uncomfortable car she has ever been in! I just turn up the sounds and speed up when she moans...

THE best seats are to be found in early Golf GTI 1.8T - proper cloth Recaros. My '99 model had them, and I was seriously considering swapping them in to this A3 when I traded it. Seriously!

In the end, I decided I'd get annoyed by the mixture of different cloth styles in the car, so I've foregone my lovely Recaros /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif