A3 1.8 non-turbo - Fuel guage sensor/sender

DALE_AVANT

Reaction score
Hi all.

Our A3's fuel guage is all over the place at the moment, so I'm going to clean/replace it.

Having done a search, I have found that it is located under the rear seats, but which side is it (there are two round items), and which sensor is the guage sender?

Many thanks

Drivers side one and the fuel sender is integrated to the fuel pump unit... not sure if its available as a seperate unit... buy one from a dealer though as after market parts don't seem to fit or work properly..

<tuffty/>

Sounds like a bit of a mish.

Anyone got pics of the part I need to remove?

Anyone happen to have a picture of what I need to remove?

A bit like these...
FP5253.jpg

$%28KGrHqJHJBYE9BQIjohjBPYZev%29Qiw~~60_35.JPG

<tuffty/>

Cheers Tuffty.

If that's the fuel pump, where on that is the sender?

Haha cool, cheers.

So I would need to remove the fuel pump to get to the sender to clean I assume?

We put £20 in yesterday and it said the tank was full - WINNER :haha:

Haha cool, cheers.

So I would need to remove the fuel pump to get to the sender to clean I assume?

We put £20 in yesterday and it said the tank was full - WINNER :haha:

In my experience cleaning won't fix it... its a carbon track that wears out so replacement is the only option... I changed the one on my A4 once... was about 30 quid from a dealer...

<tuffty/>

Fairly... search through Westy's build thread as he has done a pump swap on his S3... will be similar to what you need to do

<tuffty/>

In case anyone else is reading this, I have taken the below from W3STY's progress thread (many thanks):

Back seats out and service panel off:

34bda568.jpg

Fuel clips and electrical clip off:

b79e0910.jpg

Top of pump off:

0ecfd62e.jpg

Whole pump out. Staring into half a tank of V power
wink.gif

faa82cbd.jpg

Was starting to get a headache from the petrol fumes at this point but cracked on.

Lovely new clean pump:

ec85e283.jpg

Bottom part in:

18800feb.jpg

All done:

6d7bcd0c.jpg

What's the best way to remove the two fuel lines at the top of the unit?

What's the best way to remove the two fuel lines at the top of the unit?

In answer to this, there is a small concealed clip at the "front" of the fuel line where it meets up to the pump, push this in and twist gently, off it pops.

Looks exactly the same as my pump and sendor on my old focus, i mean exactly the same wow lol anyway if it is, it's pretty easy, just like mentioned tho the fumes will be overpowering leave doors open and if you smoke, dont! (like i did, then realised and slowley removed myself from the car, those were the days).

Can I replace just the sender itself, leaving the original fuel pump?

Took the fuel pump out today and replaced the sender with a new part.

Question.......should the float sit on the drivers side of the pump or the passenger side??