A3 1.8 20valve (non turbo) tuning

hacky

Reaction score
Hey,

I currently have a 1997 a3 1.8 (non turbo).

Iv got a Green Dynatwist induction kit with cold air feed from front bumper.

Iv also got a custom stainless steel exhaust from the cat back.

Im basically looking for some options to squeeze some more bhp out of my car.

Any options? Could people post suggestions and estimated cost.

Ive been considering getting a decat but i understand it isnt soo much of a restriction as it is. Also getting it chipped, i know i wont get nearly as good a results as a turbo charged engine but is it still worth it?

Cheers guys

Basically no. Sell it and buy a 1.8T
You could spend a lot of money adding bits and pieces to the 1.8 to little or no effect, all you're doing is devaluing it.
With the prices of 1.8T's these days you'd be better spending the money on the many bargains to be had out there.

AndyMac said:
Basically no. Sell it and buy a 1.8T
You could spend a lot of money adding bits and pieces to the 1.8 to little or no effect, all you're doing is devaluing it.
With the prices of 1.8T's these days you'd be better spending the money on the many bargains to be had out there.

exactly. The money you spend on modifying and extra insurance premiums would probably more than fund the cost to change to a 1.8T...

Yeah, thought this would be the general feedback. I reckon its staying as it is, wait a year or two untill i can afford the insurance. Im only 18 and its costing a bomb!:undwech:

Might add some styling to the car tho, bn thinkin projektzwo or votex. Its already lowered on HK Highsport coilovers and 18" wheels. Just gonna get bumper extensions, cheap and cheerful.

Out of interest mate what you paying to insure your 1.8 A3?

Im 17 with a 1.8 T and paying £3k fo my insurance?

Jason

Jason_letts said:
Out of interest mate what you paying to insure your 1.8 A3?

Im 17 with a 1.8 T and paying £3k fo my insurance?

Jason

£3K :ohmy::ohmy: Those were the days! So there are some benefits to being an 'old' man.

I know its steep! but i had offers from 12k down to 3k varies alot eally some companies wouldnt insure me on the 1.8 t till i was 21!

Still alot better than a chaved up nova!

Jason

Heh heh, you think thats bad? When I first approached my insurance company about covering me on a 1.8T they said they couldn't touch me on that engine until I was 35!!! Got them around in the end anyway. (I'm 24 btw!)

Marc

same idea, im only named and it still costs me 1000 quid

However next year im going to try go first person and hope to pay about 1200-1400quid. That will be me 19 yo and with 2 years driver, no claims and 0 ncb. Im gonna get that 1ncb and then jump for a turbocharged car.:biggrin:

Yeh, the named driver thing is waht I had to do a few years ago,but insurance in Ireland is a whole lot more expensive. When I started driving at 17, I was paying £3500 (Irish punt back then) as a named driver on a 1.3 1989 Golf!!! The other problem is that for a lot of insurers your no claims isn't recognised properly when you're a named driver, so the idea is to get your own policy as soon as possible. I'm 24 now, and I got lucky with a company who'd insure me on the Turbo. I'm at 70% discount now for no claims, so if I had no experience I'd be paying over €4500!! Finally a good driving record is starting to pay off!

You get named driver on your 1.8T on your mums ploicy and then buy a scrap mini or 2CV (group 1) for £50 and get policy in your name to clock up some NCB

when i first passed my test, i went around online quoting various cars, best has to be approx £1500 TPF&T on a reliant robin! :)

i didnt *want* a reliant robin, but the types of quote i was getting, i thought of the worst car i could and tried to insure it..

EDIT: try directline, they have a thing where named drivers get NCB too.