A3 1.5 19 plate advice please

CliffJen

Reaction score
Hi I'm new here as am about to buy an a3 1.5 manual 19 plate with 8000 miles for my wife.
Having a look on the net for problems to look out for I noticed a few common complaints with engine performance at low revs or cold causing kangarooing or stalling. Some customers not getting answers from audi and others returning cars for a refund.
So my question is apparently this might have been resolved? And is there any way of finding out if those changes have been done to the one I'm thinking of purchasing.
Sorry if this is a repeat question but thought someone here would have some answers
Many thanks
CJ

I have no official info, but understand it is an issue with the engine, and affects every brand that uses it, Skoda, Seat etc. I also understand VW group have no idea what needs to be done to fix it, or whether it’s even possible.

This is from talking with various people in the VW group.

Thanks for the reply. That sounds worrying. Some people have mentioned a fix for this but must admit even that sound like a patch rather than a true fix.
So pot luck then .....take it for a test drive and see what happens...... or pick something different..... 1l probably to small for me and 2l a bit more dosh
Oh what to do?
Thanks

This was a concern to me when I bought the engine you are asking about. I originally looked at the Skoda Karoq but the symptoms you mention were the norm with this vehicle. With the "same" engine in the A3 I found vey few reports of issues and bought one.
I have done nearly 9,000 miles over the year of which 4,000+ have been towing a small caravan. I have noticed no issues and I'm very pleased with the engine. It pulls strongly is flexible and economical. At first I thought I should have waited for the 2L 40tfsi to be available due to towing but have no regrets. I would have another. The only thing I did not like was seat comfort on my Sport model. It took months for the leather to become comfortable.

Colin

Thanks Colin for the info. Problem must be a bit hit and miss surely it can't be ever 1.5 in the vw group. That would another nightmare for them!
Think the only answer is a test drive

plus one with Colin, my 19 has completed about 5k and none of the jerkiness that others seem to have. Bought new so no patch unless before PDi completed.

Thanks thats good to know. Maybe its been engineered out with the newer cars. Fingers crossed I might become an Audi owner at the weekend :grimacing:

VW/Audi have a fix for the kangarooing issue. My dad had the issue with his Q2 1.5, a software update resolved it

Many thanks for the replies that has put my mind at ease.....just need to give it a test run before parting with the dosh

Cheers

Picked up the A3 yesterday absolutely no issues and very happy indeed.
Thank you for the feedback.
Now an official a3 owner