A3 1.4 TFSI COD

glospete

Reaction score
Because the previous thread has been locked (wonder why? ;)) I wanted to add my two pennyworth to the economy figures for the above car. I travelled to Cannock from Devon yesterday - 160 miles each way on motorway for most of the journey. The ACC was set to 70mph both ways and journey up was (all from the DIS) 51.0mpg at average of 47mph and return journey was 49.6mpg at average of 49mph.

I have no complaints with these figures and they are substantially better than the Auto Express test. My running average since new (2200 miles) is 42.2mpg as calculated from brim to brim.

Thanks Pete.

I have always wondered about the impact of cruise control on fuel economy. In particular, if you are travelling at a set mph when the road changes constantly from inclines to declines. If the accelerator pedal is regularly changing its input in order to maintain the set mph, isn't this detrimental to economy in comparison to a steady pedal input without cruise control being activated? The latter obviously means that mph fluctuates depending on the gradient of the road but I have always left cruise control off in order to achieve better economy.

I hope that this isn't a daft question/observation?

Andrew

This weeks Autocar has a long term test of A3 Saloon 1.4 COD S-tronic. Average over 7,000 miles of 44.7 mpg which is much more consistent with what you are seeing.

I am also at around 42-43 mpg over the first 1,200 miles or so (using actual litres used).

With my car I can definitely get more time with 2 cylinder mode with the cruise control off on an undulating road by gentling increasing speed downhill and easing off slightly uphill. Not sure how much difference that makes to the end result though

I'm not sure if more modern cruise control is a bit smarter (e.g. the sat-nav guided Rolls-Royce setup) but when it gets particularly hilly you'll always get better figures by manually anticipating the gradients.

There is no doubt that how ever much it is clever if you use cruise on a road that has any hills as it will try maintain the set mph and will not be able to produce the same mpg that a human can. I have never been able to reproduce my mpg figures with cruise on against when it is off. One of the other issues with cruise is that if you have to slow down for traffic then use cruise to get back up to the set speed it will use far more throttle. I will not be making any comment on my own experiences with mpg in reply to the OP so that it doesn't attract the wrong replies and this thread gets locked....

Thanks Pete.

I have always wondered about the impact of cruise control on fuel economy. In particular, if you are travelling at a set mph when the road changes constantly from inclines to declines. If the accelerator pedal is regularly changing its input in order to maintain the set mph, isn't this detrimental to economy in comparison to a steady pedal input without cruise control being activated? The latter obviously means that mph fluctuates depending on the gradient of the road but I have always left cruise control off in order to achieve better economy.

I hope that this isn't a daft question/observation?

Andrew
Absolutely right Andrew - the human is, I believe, better able to minimise fuel consumption than using the cruise control. But I wasn't trying to maximise economy yesterday - just doing another long boring motorway journey and the ACC makes life so much easier especially with the road works on the M5 and M6. So your observation is spot on and maybe one day I'll have a trip to try to maximise fuel economy. By the way I did switch it to Efficiency Mode for a while but didn't seem to see any difference - has anyone else got figures to prove that Efficiency mode is better for rule economy then leaving it in Auto?

Absolutely right Andrew - the human is, I believe, better able to minimise fuel consumption than using the cruise control. But I wasn't trying to maximise economy yesterday - just doing another long boring motorway journey and the ACC makes life so much easier especially with the road works on the M5 and M6. So your observation is spot on and maybe one day I'll have a trip to try to maximise fuel economy. By the way I did switch it to Efficiency Mode for a while but didn't seem to see any difference - has anyone else got figures to prove that Efficiency mode is better for rule economy then leaving it in Auto?

Thanks Pete, and to everyone else who took the time to reply. Just one other question; are you using regular or super unleaded?

I put v-power in one tank in my 140bhp COD and didn't notice any difference in performance, economy or refinement so I stick with 95 ron now.

No.

There is no advantage performance or economy wise, using anything higher than 95 RON on the 1.4

Reactions: cuke2u
My average on Fuelly is 38 MPG, but last fuel up was 40.2 MPG, so I think it's getting better over time.

Only 5 fills so far!

. By the way I did switch it to Efficiency Mode for a while but didn't seem to see any difference - has anyone else got figures to prove that Efficiency mode is better for rule economy then leaving it in Auto?
Efficiency mode obviously has the coasting mode, where I see my average MPG jumping up quickly during a long coast. However, it doesn't work with cruise control, where there's constantly some throttle applied afaik.

You may also find yourself using the brakes more downhill in coasting mode, in order to stick within the speed limit. Whether this is better for the car than just using the natural engine braking effect that you get in Auto, I'm not sure.

But, it feels like the cruise control is much slower / less aggressive to resume to a set speed in efficiency mode. Personally I don't like the slow rate that this happens at, nor do I like the efficiency mode throttle response at motorway speeds. But maybe this makes a small difference?!

Reactions: glospete
This is the complete history of fuel consumption of my 1.4 (150) COD from mid-July. Seems the average of 42mpg is about par for the course. I found that using the 'Automatic' driving program seemed, bizarrely, to deliver better economy than the 'Efficiency' setting.

Reactions: glospete and leosayer1
This is the complete history of fuel consumption of my 1.4 (150) COD from mid-July. Seems the average of 42mpg is about par for the course. I found that using the 'Automatic' driving program seemed, bizarrely, to deliver better economy than the 'Efficiency' setting.View attachment 41609

Nice report Redgrouse.....can you tell me the name of the software you use, or is it an app?

Cheers, Allan

I've only had mine for a few weeks but so far am getting very similar figures - my short daily commute to an from work (mostly 30mph roads, with a short stretch of 40 and 50mph dual carriageway) is giving me around 42mpg.

A longer trip at the weekend which included motorway and a long stretch of de-restricted A-roads got me a trip average of 53mpg.

All in, I'm very happy with this - given the smoothness, quiet running and performance delivered, I can't complain at all.

Reactions: cuke2u
Other stores are available of course as are different mpg calculators...