Facelift A3 1.0 tfsi Sportback Sport mini review

Carefree69

Reaction score
I've had my 1.0 tfsi for 2 weeks now and can safely say that it's a superb engine.

I came from an A3 2.0TDI and before that a vRS 1.9 TDI and it definitely doesn't feel inferior. Granted, both previous cars were pretty brisk going through the gears but the 1.0 tfsi engine is still very capable indeed, and despite my initial reservations it in no way feels underpowered in the A3.

Audi upped the power of the 1.0 tfsi to compensate for the extra A3 weight and therefore it feels as responsive as the A1 my missus has, with the same engine. She's had her A1 now for just over a year and I've loved driving it, it honestly feels like something much bigger is in the engine bay.

I read many many reviews on this engine before taking the plunge and more than one reputable source has the A3 1.0 tfsi as the pick of the A3 range (barring the S3). Before I get shot down, I am quoting from a review.
It is supposedly quicker than both the 1.6 TDI and the 1.2 variant.

I'd recommend this engine all day long, plenty enough power, very quiet and refined, and when you do use a heavy right foot the engine thrum gives it loads of character.

I love it.

Reactions: Jassyo06, David McQueen, KenL and 1 other person
Actually, I had a loan A1 with this engine yesterday, and I was really surprised. I initially thought it was a 1.4 like mine.
However it is a bit harsher accelerating in low gear. But generally speaking I would have to agree that it is superb.

Reactions: Carefree69
Ive had mine for a 13 months and covered 12k miles. It really is an excellent engine.

Decent performance and excellent fuel consumption.

Reactions: Jassyo06
Good to see a thread on the lower end engine options.

Out of interest what performance figures mpg & 0-60 are you 1.0 guys getting?

Reactions: Jassyo06
I haven't actually timed 0-60 myself yet as still kind of 'running in' but the official figures state that 0-60 in the 1.0 tfsi is 9.9 seconds. However, it definitely 'feels' quicker than that figure suggests.

I haven't actually timed 0-60 myself yet as still kind of 'running in' but the official figures state that 0-60 in the 1.0 tfsi is 9.9 seconds. However, it definitely 'feels' quicker than that figure suggests.

That’s really not bad... the 15ops 1.4’s are around 9 seconds?

It truly is the biggest surprise I’ve had in my near 30 year driving career.

I was both sceptical and concerned that I had made the biggest mistake ever when I put the order in, but thankfully all my concerns disappeared a few minutes into my first drive. As I’ve said, I had driven the same engine (albeit with slightly less power) in the A1 so I knew how good it was in that, but didn’t have a clue for the A3.

It’ll never break speed records but what it has got is pretty damn good.

My long term fuel consumption is showing 53mpg.

I can manage 60mpg easily on my quiet commute to work.

Sub 10 from a 1.0 is pretty decent. 7-8 years ago anything below 10.0 was the benchmark for good performance and only achievable with engines 1.6 or above

Reactions: KenL
l loved driving the Mrs 1-0 ecoboost engine,,,100 bhp....its very usable....indeed...S3....Nah it aint......its real power band is beyond UK speed limits,l have spent a few hours in a M4 in the past 2 days....its far too powerful....for any road barring a racetrack ....its....silly powerful .........and you get under 15 mpg doing so.......and all these fast cars at the end of the day are just all about....status....in life......and all these exoitic cars are not used as daily drivers......because they are all afraid of mileage depreciation as the the well off use.. something far more frugal for that

Anyway rant over....lol

Reactions: ASBOST and RichardT
What school did you attend Jassy?

I...have...no...idea...what...you...were...trying...to...say...!...:)

What school did you attend Jassy?

I...have...no...idea...what...you...were...trying...to...say...!...:)

let me translate...S3, M4 or whatever high performance version ..no one needs that much power on a UK road, they are just status symbols and boys (and gals) toys

Reactions: Jimbo10 and KenL
They are only a status symbol if you know what an S3 is, if you do then (for me) you think nice car, if you have no idea what an S3 is then then you just don't care and don't even give it a second look.

I don't care what people drive these day's, I've the S & RS itch before and scratched it with a S4 & RS4, sure they were fun cars but after a couple of years I got board with them and move to an A8 all be it with a large 4.2 TDi engine. However these days I'm sick of V engine cars and now travel around in an A6 C7 with a 2.0 TDI engine and soon to be delivered A3 1.5 TFSI.

Don't think I will ever go back to performance Audi's, but will still appreciate the engineering behind the cars.

It good to hear the reviews on the 1.0, but I went for the 1.5 engine as in the past with smaller engine car's you always have to drive them "harder"if you want to get them moving, and the 1.5 is only 6 MPG off the combined MPG figure that Audi quote.

60 mpg from a 1.0 A3 is pretty impressive! (very impressive actually)

Might have to look into one of these in future for the missus, although the new model will probably be out by then.

On the 1.0L - how does it compare with the 1.4 with 4 people on board. I'm thinking that maybe it wouldn't be the best choice if you regularly have passengers?

Are these all 6 speeds now? Wasn't sure if Audi still did anything 5 speed, VW still are I think.

Yes, 1.0 is 6 speed.

Reactions: SamP97
I don't know about 4 passengers but at least with me and the wife on board I've not noticed any difference in performance.

And yes, it is 6 speed.

I find the 1.0TSi engine amazing in my A3 Sportback (Sport) tronic. Always seems plenty powerful without even using S mode on auto box. I get 56-58 mpg on long motorway drives including various speed restrictions, varying traffic but always trying to stay under 80 mph. Around town and urban/ windy A roads I get about 47 mpg. These figures beat my Leon 1.2TSi DSG so I think the 1.0 3 cylinder is better than the 1.2 Tsi. DOn't know about 1.4Tsi.

Another thumbs up here.

Mines a 1.0L TFSI and coupled with the S-Tronic gear box it's very good.

It's no S3 but suits me, it looks decent (being a black edition) and has plenty of options on it.

Excellent thread! I'm changing my company car in Nov from a Golf GTI to an A3 1.5 TFSI Stronic with a few options.

I know it won't be anywhere near the performance of the GTI (230bhp) but when I test drove the 1.5 I was taken aback at how responsive it was and I did give it a good poke at times.

Will I miss.my GTI? Without a doubt but I'm sure I'll enjoy the A3 when I get it.... I hope!