A3 1.0 TFSI - Any good?

ScottishA4B9

Reaction score
Hello All

I’m helping my friend get a new car. At the moment she’s tempted between an A1 1.4 TFSI Sport Nav and an A3 1.0 TFSI Sport.
The A3 is only £1400 more and only 9bhp less than the A1. But is it any good? She will be doing a mix of country driving and long distance motorway driving.

Best driving both and taking it from there. Also check the insurance costs and service costs on both. TBH I've seen a few A1's and think they look pretty smart in the right colour...such as:

media

i would look for an a3 with adaptive cruise control if shes doing long distance motorway driving. Really handy technology imo

Reactions: glospete
Does she like the look of an A1 or A3? Driving a bigger or smaller car? Performance or economy? Apples or oranges?
I would go through the options and advantages of each one but let her decide and choose what she really wants and is happy with. I'd try to avoid influencing her or guiding her into something that you may consider to be "better" just because they are similar money.

I've got the 1.0 tfsi A3 Sportback in Sport trim and I love it. When you consider that my previous car was an A3 Sportback 2.0 tdi and before that a Skoda Fabia vRS (both quite spirited, especially the vRS) I really don't feel short changed at all.

I can directly compare both the 1.0 versions of the A3 and A1 as my wife has the A1 and the engine is superb in both cars. Audi upped the power of the 1.0 engine to compensate for the extra weight of the A3 so the power feels very similar in both cars. I can honestly say that it really only comes down to which model she prefers as opposed to how the engine compares.

It'll obviously never break the land speed record but with a sub 10 second 0-60 figure it is lively when you want it to be, and at the same time feels very very refined.

I had my reservations before I picked it up but I was smiling within 5 mins of my journey home. I love it.

Last edited:
Reactions: KenL
I also like my 1.0tfsi A3.

I tested an A1 and the FL A3.

The A3 had a really small boot (wanted a boot that would take my clubs after having 5 MINIs) and the interior and mmi is far superior in the A3.

Reactions: Carefree69
I/we have a A1 1.4 TFSI Sport and A3 1.4COD TFSI Sport - so I have both cars but only one of the engines!
Personally I find that the A1 is a good drive, has a fair bit on oomph and is more economical across a range of journeys given its performance. One thing to also take into account is that the A1 is due to be replaced shortly though. I find the A1 (like most small cars) feels more like a go kart, whereas my A3 feels like a more grown up car, more refined and just generally a better place to be. In 1.4 format, the A3 not as economical as it seems to vary quite a bit depending on journey type. Given this, personally I would go for the A3 1.0 as mentioned

Reactions: Carefree69 and KenL
She has a Fiat 500 at the moment and has stated that she finds it very small and not enough room when she loads it up with stuff. Granted the A1 is only a little bit bigger therefore I was thinking the A3 might be a better option considering the relatively small price difference between them.

Read the link I posted in my previous post. The 1.0 tfsi is Audis best kept secret.

Reactions: ScottishA4B9
I have had my 1.0 tfsi sport since March and very happy with it. I had a 1.6tdi sport before for 4 years and prefer the 1.0 engine. It’s very quiet and pulls very well. It’s very economical to. I used to find the 1.6 would run out of puff and you have to change gear all the time. The 1.0 pulls really well from low down revs and never feels strained when fully loaded.

Reactions: ScottishA4B9 and Carefree69
I would never have imagined 25+ years ago when I got my first car that a 1.0 litre car engine would be as good as it is in my A3. All those years ago the humble 1.0 litre was nothing short of a lawnmower engine, 0-60 in 24 seconds etc.

The strides that have been made are astonishing, the 1.0 tfsi is both spirited and extremely refined, and I'm left not wanting or needing any other type of engine, it is that good. 0-62 mph in 9.7 seconds would have been dismissed a few years ago for such a modest engine.

For anyone thinking about the 1.0 tfsi but reluctant to take the plunge I'd say 100% go for it, amazing engine and it makes the FL A3 handle like a dream due to its light weight.

I can't sing its praises highly enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: ScottishA4B9 and KenL
I would never have imagined 25+ years ago when I got my first car that a 1.0 litre car engine would be as good as it is in my A3. All those years ago the humble 1.0 litre was nothing short of a lawnmower engine, 0-60 in 24 seconds etc.

The strides that have been made are astonishing, the 1.0 tfsi is both spirited and extremely refined, and I'm left not wanting or needing any other type of engine, it is that good. 0-62 mph in 9.7 seconds would have been dismissed a few years ago for such a modest engine.

For anyone thinking about the 1.0 tfsi but reluctant to take the plunge I'd say 100% go for it, amazing engine and it makes the FL A3 handle like a dream due to its light weight.

I can't sing its praises highly enough.

@Carefree69 Thanks for a good reply. That's just what I hoped to hear. I will certainly pass on the info to her.

@Spurrellian Thanks for the info. Its good to hear how well the car pulls when loaded.

As mentioned above the A1 is about to be updated. It isn't just a facelift its a complete redesign onto the smaller MQB chassis they are now using for the new Ibiza and recently launched Polo. Both the new Ibiza and Polo are bigger than the previous versions so its fair to consider the new A1 will be bigger also.

The imminent launch of the new A1 means there are likely to be some pretty good deals on existing A1 coming up but the resale value will take a similar hit in a few years time when its time to sell it.

Adaptive cruise control also gets my vote, it makes miles and miles of average speed on motorways so much easier

What car saying the new A1 is not due until December.