A3’s in snow

Yeah, get new car in March, defo be switching to winter tires next winter. Never had a need for them really before, as I only ever drove on trunk roads, however since moving into the middle of nowhere, I’d be stupid not using them. Winter tyres on all 4, or just front?
Fitting 2 winter tyres could invalidate your insurance. Check with your insurance company.

On snow and ice, having 2 winter tyres on the front would be like disconnecting your back brakes = dangerous! Insurance companies know this.

Yet mention to anyone on the Audi S3 Facebook Page that their predominantly FWD Haldex S3's are pretty useless in proper snow* with their summer tyres on and you're likely to get shot.
I have a Golf GTI, so I spend more time on another forum. Most of the people there, even the 4Wd Golf R drivers, understand that grip comes from tyres and NOT the drive system. However, there is 1 Golf R driver who we just cant reason with. He actually said that his car was 'superior' in these conditions.:blink:

4WD certainly has its advantage when grip is limited. Especially going up a hill when the weight of the car naturally moves to the rear. The problem is going down the icy hill again when 4 wheel drive does not help!

My wife has 4 winter tyres on her A3. On snow and ice, her car is much safer than any quattro with summer tyres.

Reactions: 4K, Flying Scotsman and GaryP
I have a Golf GTI, so I spend more time on another forum. Most of the people there, even the 4Wd Golf R drivers, understand that grip comes from tyres and NOT the drive system. However, there is 1 Golf R driver who we just cant reason with. He actually said that his car was 'superior' in these conditions.:blink:

4WD certainly has its advantage when grip is limited. Especially going up a hill when the weight of the car naturally moves to the rear. The problem is going down the icy hill again when 4 wheel drive does not help!

My wife has 4 winter tyres on her A3. On snow and ice, her car is much safer than any quattro with summer tyres.

Which other forum re your Golf may I ask? Might be needing that one myself too soon!!

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree, it's all in the tyres. Haldex won't help you out much at all. Interesting to hear that this ignorance isn't just limited to the S3 page. Needless to say, I left that sh1tty group and never looked back.

Any thoughts on the all season tyres ? Anyone running them. Really can’t be bothered swapping tyres every 6 months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have read a few reviews on the Michelin CrossClimates. The negatives were weak snow handling and braking. That gap in handling and braking is likely to increase as the tyres wear. At least they will work better in poor conditions than a full summer tyre.

Reactions: Ormesome
I have read a few reviews on the Michelin CrossClimates. The negatives were weak snow handling and braking. That gap in handling and braking is likely to increase as the tyres wear. At least they will work better in poor conditions than a full summer tyre.

Found the same info too. My only concern would be the summer wear rate. As its a softer compound then I guess when the weather heats up, the rubber will wear more as its softer? haven't found any info on the web about this, most of the info I can find relates to winter performance etc..... Where I live its around -1 most of the time and sometimes snowy in the winter but the summers get to over 30c so would love to know how the tire performs in similar conditions. Personally speaking, if I lived in the UK then I would be getting them as they seem great considering the Uk weather...

I can make no comment on the Michelin Cross Climates, but I have experience with ultra high performance all seasons. Two that I have driven are the Continental DWS-06 and the Pirelli P Zero all season plus. They both have limitations in the snow as opposed to true snow tyres and the Conti wins that battle. On rain, dry and overall handling the Pirelli is the winner. Note both these tyres operate well in temperatures under 7C whilst summer tyres do not. These tyres are in my opinion perfectly suited for the UK market and weather....good enough for most winter conditions and perform very well for spirited driving.
In fact this year I have shod my S3 with the Pirelli's for all year use in Vancouver, Canada. The weather here is very similar to Scotland during the winter, lots of rain but we do get more snow. I use to change the summer or ultra high performance all season tyres in mid November to winter tyres and back to summer tyres in mid March but I have found that the Pirelli's will get me through most winter snow and I park it if we have a real dump and wait it out for a day or so. Most high performance cars here use these tyres in the winter as true winter tyres are in many cases not available in their sizes of choice. Also note that these tyres have a longer tyre life than high performance summer tyres.

Here is a link to a test of some ultra high performance all season tyres.

https://www.tirerack.com/videos/index.jsp?video=520&tab=Tires

Last edited:
Reactions: Audi Bairn and Ormesome