A2 New Model

deemde

Reaction score
My local Audi dealer thought he had heard a rumour that Audi will build a new A2.

OK, I know that the A2 was'nt really an Audi, as it was based on a VW engine and transmission, but so are the A3 and TT. At least it followed the Vorsprung durch Technik philosophy with a lightweight aluminium body and simlple, form-follows-function, lines. (I must admit it should have been 50mm wider and 50mm lower to improve the overall visual balance.)
What I want is an ENGINEERED, technically great, small car, which suits a man and wife of advancing age, and not one of the over specified over styled low-tech machines that are at present avaiable.
Some people appear to be satisfied with what Audi produce at present, I am not. They have lost the plot for me. The clean lines of the TT have gone, but the sad chrome interior remains. Radios are now integral with the dash, so are going to leave an awful hole when you rip them out. A4 DTMs don't have a front engine rear wheel drive space frame arrangement.
Some people seem to forget that not everyone is the same. If some people are happy with the current crop from Audi, then they are very fortunate. I don't begrudge anyone what their own taste dictates, so please don't begrude me, and people like me, our own taste.
Whether God exists (upper case G note), is a different matter?

I reckon there is space for cars like the A2 and Mercedes A-class in the future ie a small (so economic to run and easy to park) car that is still 'luxury'. Irrespective of whether you think the A2 is a good car or not, I reckon this is the way forward.