A1 with 1 litre engine potentially a catalytic converter issue

Edgie

Reaction score
Has anyone else had an issue with the small engine A1 in relation to the catalytic converter? My sons car has only done 23000 miles and its a 2016 car. He has complained of a smell like rotten eggs and this can be indicative of a CAT issue. Very expensive fix if it is this part of the exhaust

Judging from the mileage short journeys mean the cat is probably not getting to its operating temperatures for long enough to burn off the sulphur and hydrocarbons. If the problem comes and goes for a very short period of time after excessive use of the engine at high revs, there is nothing to worry about. If the vehicle has a strong smell of sulphur or other chemicals on a regular basis during normal use, you might need to have car checked out...

Reactions: Edgie
Hi and thank you very much. I think its the short journey issue. It probably needs a decent run at 70mph on a dual carriageway or motorway every now and again to burn this stuff off. It went back to the place we bought it from on Friday. They are an MOT station and they ran it through a gas analysis and its all perfect. Another thing that was mentioned was to put decent 5 star fuel into it on a regular basis. This is something which I do with my own car which is a X335D. I might fill it with ordinary fuel and then the next fill up I put in something like Esso Synergy. Thank you for taking the time to respond, its very much appreciated

You're welcome, I would have thought, with that engine, paying more for the fuel will make little difference. I know I am probably opening a can of worms but nothing has been proven that, so called, premium fuel has any benefits to the engine in your A1. If anything a fill of premium fuel every four might satisfy your needs if you so desire. I use supermarket fuel in my 2.0l petrol A4 on short urban runs with no issues, even with the tuning box...

Last edited: