A1 Sportback 2019 Engine judder / vibration at idle RPM

Bart7011

Reaction score
Hi All

I've recently purchased a 2019 A1 Sportback 30TFSI w/ 23k miles from an Audi Dealer, and I've noticed that when the engine is sat at idle it vibrates quite excessively. To the point where I can feel the vibration in the driver & passenger seats. When I start the car the revs are initially higher, but then drop off after around 20-30sec which is when the vibration kicks in. There is also a noticeable ticking noise which I was told is from the high pressure fuel pump and is normal. The moment I bring the RPM up even a tiny bit the vibration completely disappears and the car drives fine. It always comes back when I then bring the car to a stop and the revs drop again - it gets quite annoying when sat in traffic or at traffic lights.

Initially I had an Audi roadside assistance technician come out to look at the car and they agreed that the juddering was quite excessive. They hooked the car up to a computer to look for any issues but found nothing, and suggested it could be a mechanical issue. I also had the car booked in at Audi and again they didn't find any problems either, they even compared the engine to another 30TFSI A1 with very similar mileage and showed that both engines vibrate. Surely I shouldn't be feeling the vibrations in the seats?. A mechanic suggested to me that the engine mounts used on the car are quite cheap and wear out quickly, and could this have been the case for my car and the one they compared with?

My main question would be, has anyone ever experienced a similar issue, and if so how did you go about fixing it?

I absolutely love the car but the constant juddering just makes driving it a bit unpleasant, and I am considering rejecting the vehicle if this issue isn't sorted. I'm aware 3 cylinder engines vibrate more than others but i didn't think it was this much. When I dropped the car off for diagnostics at Audi they gave me a new A3 (2022) with the same engine, and I didn't notice any judder.

Any help / suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

P.S. Im not very knowledgeable when it comes to engines so apologies if anything written is wrong :sweatsmile:

Thanks

Hi All

I've recently purchased a 2019 A1 Sportback 30TFSI w/ 23k miles from an Audi Dealer, and I've noticed that when the engine is sat at idle it vibrates quite excessively. To the point where I can feel the vibration in the driver & passenger seats. When I start the car the revs are initially higher, but then drop off after around 20-30sec which is when the vibration kicks in. There is also a noticeable ticking noise which I was told is from the high pressure fuel pump and is normal. The moment I bring the RPM up even a tiny bit the vibration completely disappears and the car drives fine. It always comes back when I then bring the car to a stop and the revs drop again - it gets quite annoying when sat in traffic or at traffic lights.

Initially I had an Audi roadside assistance technician come out to look at the car and they agreed that the juddering was quite excessive. They hooked the car up to a computer to look for any issues but found nothing, and suggested it could be a mechanical issue. I also had the car booked in at Audi and again they didn't find any problems either, they even compared the engine to another 30TFSI A1 with very similar mileage and showed that both engines vibrate. Surely I shouldn't be feeling the vibrations in the seats?. A mechanic suggested to me that the engine mounts used on the car are quite cheap and wear out quickly, and could this have been the case for my car and the one they compared with?

My main question would be, has anyone ever experienced a similar issue, and if so how did you go about fixing it?

I absolutely love the car but the constant juddering just makes driving it a bit unpleasant, and I am considering rejecting the vehicle if this issue isn't sorted. I'm aware 3 cylinder engines vibrate more than others but i didn't think it was this much. When I dropped the car off for diagnostics at Audi they gave me a new A3 (2022) with the same engine, and I didn't notice any judder.

Any help / suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

P.S. Im not very knowledgeable when it comes to engines so apologies if anything written is wrong :sweatsmile:

Thanks
Is yours auto?

I bought a 2021 sline 30 this week and noticed same after starting, it revs slightly and then drops back to 1000rpm after 30 secs. I took it for a 5 min drive and when got back I turned engine off and on again and it didnt do it. So could be characteristic of engine starting from cold maybe?

I looked on youtube to compare, and on this video it doesn't do it and its a manual:

But this one does and is auto:

Maybe autos behave differently.

As for the vibration, now you said it I do notice the slight vibration on seat, I wouldn't describe engine as vibrating excessively but it sounds a bit like diesel.

I went from a 2020 Ford Fiesta £14k from new with not 1 issue in 15k miles, smooth process in buying, to a 2021(16 months old and 11k mileage) A1 for £23k, from main dealer. Although it looks better inside and out, and the drive is better, I dont think it was worth it. Dealing with Audi before even taking the car was worst experience I've ever had buying a car, and I think there were a few cosmetic things they should have sorted before selling to me. I also now have to take it back as the pre sense warning light is on.

I'm also considering rejecting car.

Reactions: Bart7011
Is yours auto?

I bought a 2021 sline 30 this week and noticed same after starting, it revs slightly and then drops back to 1000rpm after 30 secs. I took it for a 5 min drive and when got back I turned engine off and on again and it didnt do it. So could be characteristic of engine starting from cold maybe?

I looked on youtube to compare, and on this video it doesn't do it and its a manual:

But this one does and is auto:

Maybe autos behave differently.

As for the vibration, now you said it I do notice the slight vibration on seat, I wouldn't describe engine as vibrating excessively but it sounds a bit like diesel.

I went from a 2020 Ford Fiesta £14k from new with not 1 issue in 15k miles, smooth process in buying, to a 2021(16 months old and 11k mileage) A1 for £23k, from main dealer. Although it looks better inside and out, and the drive is better, I dont think it was worth it. Dealing with Audi before even taking the car was worst experience I've ever had buying a car, and I think there were a few cosmetic things they should have sorted before selling to me. I also now have to take it back as the pre sense warning light is on.

I'm also considering rejecting car.

My one is a manual actually

I had it explained to me that they initially start at higher revs just to warm the engine up a little. So I guess that's normal. If you open your bonnet does your engine look like its vibrating alot?,

Ill try take some videos of my engine bay but its actually at the Audi garage right now because the master window rocker switches stopped working. I mean fair enough if it does turn out to be normal and thats what the dealer is saying. I can live with it just have to get used to using stop-start more often. In my case its just alot more excessive than ive ever seen with other cars.

All engines will behave like that at initial cold start up, ie run slightly differently and at raised revs, so that is normal.

Intrusive vibration at idle does point to poor integration of that 3 cylinder engine into that model of car, it does not need to be like that, just maybe Audi being lazy.

Reactions: Bart7011 and CCCC
My one is a manual actually

I had it explained to me that they initially start at higher revs just to warm the engine up a little. So I guess that's normal. If you open your bonnet does your engine look like its vibrating alot?,

Ill try take some videos of my engine bay but its actually at the Audi garage right now because the master window rocker switches stopped working. I mean fair enough if it does turn out to be normal and thats what the dealer is saying. I can live with it just have to get used to using stop-start more often. In my case its just alot more excessive than ive ever seen with other cars.
Yeh mine vibrates as well. The pipe on the left vibrates the most and the silver metal part to the left that's underneath vibrates quite a lot. I would actually say it shakes. Then the various pipes and bits across the top / middle of engine around where the oil goes vibrates. Took a video but I cant upload it on here but I guess the vibrating is normal.

I know its a small car, but for the price you would expect a bit more refinement. I still like it though, can live with the characteristics of it, my main issue the pre sense warning light and the few cosmetic bits that will get sorted myself.

Reactions: Bart7011