A1 details?

steeve

Reaction score
My wife is going to place an order for a new A1 Competition 40 TFSI
But I am unable to find out certain details, at one point all the stuff we want to know would be in the specification section of the brochure. But it seems there's no such thing as a downloadable brochure any more.
Amazingly the Audi website doesn't even say how many gears the 207PS car has. The old one was 6 and we think the new one is 7 but cannot find this, we are also trying to find out if the cruise on the car is adaptive or not as there's no mention of it anywhere. We would like to know if the front brakes are the same size as the Polo Gti.
She currently has a Polo Gti which has been great. But lack of information on the Audi website is making us lean back towards a new Gti.

But I am unable to find out certain details, at one point all the stuff we want to know would be in the specification section of the brochure. But it seems there's no such thing as a downloadable brochure any more.
Amazingly the Audi website doesn't even say how many gears the 207PS car has. The old one was 6 and we think the new one is 7 but cannot find this, we are also trying to find out if the cruise on the car is adaptive or not as there's no mention of it anywhere. We would like to know if the front brakes are the same size as the Polo Gti.
She currently has a Polo Gti which has been great. But lack of information on the Audi website is making us lean back towards a new Gti.

Adaptive cruise would not be standard, would need to option AAC, and likely
To be part of drive assist pack or something like that

I think it is 7spd (as shown in audi.uk under more info for the engine). No idea on brake disc size but after test driving the older model I was very happy with the brake performance. Looks like standard cruise control from website. Noticed that carwow don't offer the polo gti currently. Cheers, Dan

For technical data like that You should look for the models SSP manuals. Google for "VAG SSP 674 – Audi A1 Sportback (type GB)"
I've almost never seen car manufacturer to place brakes size for regular car in their website, and also number of gears. Non-petrol-heads are not interested in such things.

Audi A4 B9 3.0 TDi quattro 200 kw

the website configurator allows you to produce a pdf showing the full config of a car once you have finished selecting the various options / packs etc.

if you do this for the above it shows the gearbox is a 7-speed S tronic and Cruise control with speed limiter - adaptive is not an option unless you get the Vorsprung where it’s standard

Reactions: steeve and NevMan
Thanks for the information. Other than the engine now being 207 PS instead of 200 PS there seems to be little change, unlike its sister car the Polo GTI. I'm wondering if there will be an update in the near future.
I'd managed to get a mail from Audi that there is no adaptive cruise except if you spec the Vorsprung trim level, which is not available with the 40 engine. I am seriously considering cancelling our order for a Polo GTi (which we already have) as following a minor ankle injury adaptive cruise is a boon for me.

I struggle to believe that on a £30,000 car adaptive cruise is not available. It's pretty much either standard or an option on all similar cars.

Last edited:
I did hear that Audi were stopping making the A1 in the next few years. Not sure if true or not

I did hear that Audi were stopping making the A1 in the next few years. Not sure if true or not
Yep - interview with Audi CEO Markus Duesmann where he was quoted as saying “We won’t have a successor to the A1,” he said. “We know that offering combustion engines in the smaller segments in the future will be pretty difficult because the costs will go up. Therefore, we will leave the segment.”

Apparently the difficulty he was referring to surrounds tightening emissions legislation in the European Union that car manufacturers must meet. In 2021 the automotive industry must reduce its average fleet CO2 emissions in the EU to 95g/km, down from 106.7g/km in 2020. This is increasingly difficult for car makers without adding some form of electrification to a combustion engine. The required hybrid components car eats into cabin or boot space as well as profit margins, making it harder for manufacturers to justify their continued production and as a result several are reportedly leaving the segment

Thanks for the information. Other than the engine now being 207 PS instead of 200 PS there seems to be little change, unlike its sister car the Polo GTI. I'm wondering if there will be an update in the near future.
I'd managed to get a mail from Audi that there is no adaptive cruise except if you spec the Vorsprung trim level, which is not available with the 40 engine. I am seriously considering cancelling our order for a Polo GTi (which we already have) as following a minor ankle injury adaptive cruise is a boon for me.

I struggle to believe that on a £30,000 car adaptive cruise is not available. It's pretty much either standard or an option on all similar cars.
I would agree with you on cancelling the order and going for the Polo. Will still hold value well and possibly better on comfort and with more standard equipment I think. Cheers, Dan.

mmm. Just been on both configurators at audi and vw. Apart from the adaptive cruise (polo wins for your requirements here of course) the A1 40tfsi actually seems better equipped (included led headlights, adaptive dampers, digital display) both around £27-28K. Cheers, Dan

Specced up a Polo GTI with all the equipment we would have on the A1 plus of course adaptive cruise and they come out pretty even on price.
My wife already has a GTI + so ideally looking for a change.