A very frustrating car to own

Hi guys,

I'm new to Automatics only owned manual previously!
Did drive an automatic Mustang across America (Route 66)
But from my first 200 mile experience of the A5 it's not the auto box that's an issue it's the silly start stop function.

It cuts the engine before the car is fully stopped so when you then put foot down it has to start and select gear before you get up and go!
Turned start stop off, and it responds much quicker in my experience anyway.
That being said not gone full on yet as running it in gently!

Simon, as others have said, knock it into sport.
Alternatively it can be disabled with VCDS. Where are you?

I’ve just come from a 330i M Sport Auto. Can’t say I miss anything about it. It did look nice in its drug dealer spec but there was something about it that didn’t quite grab me.

Funnily enough I actually prefer the auto gearbox so far in the A4 and I’m surprised about the performance with the 1.4 engine, I’m not left feeling like I need more. In the BMW I would need to put it into manual mode to feel the power. The BMW was a lot more ‘serious’.

I didn’t mention anything about dynamics at all.

And if we’re going to talk about the interior it is much nicer but at least everything works in the BMW

You talk about a slow gearbox and a lack of connection between your foot and reaction of car. That’s dynamics in my book.

Had 2 Audi’s previously (A3 and Q5) and both performed faultlessly in my ownership.

Reactions: NevMan and Kakatk
I’m surprised about the performance with the 1.4 engine, I’m not left feeling like I need more.

Same, I am actually shocked by how good that engine is. A lot of it is down to its (relative) low weight I think.

You talk about a slow gearbox and a lack of connection between your foot and reaction of car. That’s dynamics in my book.

Had 2 Audi’s previously (A3 and Q5) and both performed faultlessly in my ownership.
Taken in isolation I wouldn’t call it car dynamics.

Moot point anyway, I like the car but not the gearbox and a few of its other faults, it frustrates me because it’s a pretty competent machine.

My guess is the the dual clutch days are numbered with the 8 speed being so good.

Anyway I think it’s a pretty interesting discussion, I often get asked, particularly in work, how it compares to the 3 series, my answer is never negative it’s just very different.

I’ve been lucky enough to drive hundreds probably a couple of thousand of cars and both the F30 3 series and b9 A4 are both very accomplished if frustrating ;)

Reactions: cuke2u
Taken in isolation I wouldn’t call it car dynamics.

Moot point anyway, I like the car but not the gearbox and a few of its other faults, it frustrates me because it’s a pretty competent machine.

My guess is the the dual clutch days are numbered with the 8 speed being so good.
The eight speed has been around a while with bmw before it was adoptedwith the S4, and possibly others, this being the latest https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_8HP_transmission . Many manufacturer are actually moving away from dsg gearboxes and returning to fully automatics as they have moved on a long way recently.

Reactions: Urban Sports
The eight speed has been around a while with bmw before it was adoptedwith the S4, and possibly others, this being the latest https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_8HP_transmission . Many manufacturer are actually moving away from dsg gearboxes and returning to fully automatics as they have moved on a long way recently.

I'm 100% convinced that my A4 would be a better car with the ZF8 gearbox, I find the S Tronic difficult to like.

Reactions: Syed Shah
The stronic in my rs3 was better than the 8speed for me I liked the way it was programmed better and more positive shifts.

But then again the stronic in the rs3 is different from the a4 one different even from the s3 one.

Bmw dct is very good. The zf in the s4 I fell is comparable to that of the m135i I had before the rS3 it’s soft like the m135i

I find the s4 gas pedal laggy too. Like watching a film with the voice out of sync. It's only by 20ms but it can ruin the experience.
However, I'm learning to drive the car in manual with the paddles and it pretty much makes the issue go away in my opinion. So I'm pretty sure it would be a simple map change in the brains of the ecu?

I'd be proper annoyed if I'd bought a smaller engined car though, so I feel for the chaps that have this issue outside of the s4 model.

There's occasions where I put my foot down to pull out of a junction or overtake and the car just stays still so I have to abort the manoeuvre and put my foot on the brake.

I'm 100% convinced that my A4 would be a better car with the ZF8 gearbox, I find the S Tronic difficult to like.
Better is a subjective element, obviously and I can't see how much better mine would be, having driven the series 3 bmw before I chose which car to purchase yes the gearbox was smoother but that's all and with the series 3 msport it was awful in so many other area's especially its unrefined crashy ride.
My neighbour has only recently purchased one and everytime I look inside it I see a what looks more like a japanese or american attempt at a 'premium' interior, so much plastic....

Better is a subjective element, obviously and I can't see how much better mine would be, having driven the series 3 bmw before I chose which car to purchase yes the gearbox was smoother but that's all and with the series 3 msport it was awful in so many other area's especially its unrefined crashy ride.
My neighbour has only recently purchased one and everytime I look inside it I see a what looks more like a japanese or american attempt at a 'premium' interior, so much plastic....

Thankfully having owned 2 F30 3 series and covered 40k+ miles in them I can say that this review is far off the mark.

:)

Thanks for the info, thought it would be possible with VCDS but my laptop keeps dying at the moment and don't want to brick my new car!

I'm near Canterbury, Kent

A bit far from West Yorkshire or I'd sort it for you!

Thankfully having owned 2 F30 3 series and covered 40k+ miles in them I can say that this review is far off the mark.

This is a forum, believe it or not, thus it isn't a review, it is a opinion just like yours. I was so glad to get back into my own A3 saloon after driving three different series 3 BMW. If you think they are so good why did you change to an A4?

This is a forum, believe it or not, thus it isn't a review, it is a opinion just like yours. I was so glad to get back into my own A3 saloon after driving three different series 3 BMW. If you think they are so good why did you change to an A4?

You’re funny you even if you don’t know it.

I changed because I can and I wanted to and I’m not a fanboi so thought I’d try something else.

The amount of vitriol amongst people in here is embarrassing... it's like watching a petulant child who's had his dummy taken away.

Reactions: Gary_LB, Concerned Cat, cuke2u and 2 others
They all have their own strengths & weaknesses...my A4 Avant 1.4 S-Tronic 'feels' more light & nimble than my current company car, a 420d xDrive M Sport, but the 8 speed ZF is smoother, performed very well in the recent heavy snow but is a rougher engine than the petrol Audi.

Both are on 19s, but the A4 feels smoother with non-run flat Continentals versus the run-flat Bridgestone on the 420d

Interior wise, I'm undecided - the A4 feels more premium & modern, but the BMW is solidly built and the Connected services are ahead of Audi Connect - I can also jump into virtually any BMW and the controls are very similar across the range.

The BMW Digital Dash is not as configurable as Virtual Cockpit, but is also less distracting.

My new job lets me drive many different BMW. I kinda enjoy having the best of both worlds :D

IMG 3461

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3, Gary_LB and Syed Shah
The BMW ergonomics are hard to beat. Seats in particular. They still insist on an overall tilt mechanism on Sport seats which is great and can't be found in the A4 unless I am mistaken.

Reactions: Gary_LB
Both have little frustrating things, like the BMW starter button is obscured from view by the steering wheel paddles/indicator stalks, and the light switches on both aren't as ergonomically accessible as my previous Golf Mk7...

Auto high-beam seems to be more responsive on my A4 compared to the BMW...I've had a few people flash at me as it hasn't turned off in time, but the LED headlights on both are just fantastic

Voice recognition on my 420d is top notch with natural language recognition seemingly working better than than on our A4

The 340i I drove recently had seats that felt perched quite high up even at the lowest setting, but had excellent bolstering/side support...but I really prefer the leather/alcantara combo on my A4 for grippiness, speed of heating up and overall feel

I could go on and on :D

Have you found the finger slot on the inside of the boot, RH side? You can shut the boot using that without touching the paintwork :)
Oh, that’s the kind of thing I thought it could do with......and it was there all the time :)

Thanks for that peirreluigi88.

Reactions: pierreluigi88
I'm in a 430d GC at the moment and looking to change to an S4 next year. The ZF gearbox in the BM is indeed a peach. Just turn off engine start/stop and even in Eco Pro there is little lag and you can pull away easy from junctions. Easiset thing to do is just put it into Sport. It's a long button right beside the gear lever and you don't even have to look at it, one touch and it's in sport which disengages the start/stop and you blast away.

I have a slight concern reading threads like this but not enough to stop me going ahead with my first Audi after having 6 BMWs in a row. I'll learn to adjust I expect.

I'm in a 430d GC at the moment and looking to change to an S4 next year. The ZF gearbox in the BM is indeed a peach. Just turn off engine start/stop and even in Eco Pro there is little lag and you can pull away easy from junctions. Easiset thing to do is just put it into Sport. It's a long button right beside the gear lever and you don't even have to look at it, one touch and it's in sport which disengages the start/stop and you blast away.

I have a slight concern reading threads like this but not enough to stop me going ahead with my first Audi after having 6 BMWs in a row. I'll learn to adjust I expect.
Yep I was in a 330d before the Audi, superb power train.

With reference to the ZF auto specifically I had a 2015 and 2017 BMW with ZF auto before my S4 and the BMW certainly had a better box which was quicker to respond and less lag which I assume must be down to the software. Having said that I’ve found it easy enough to adapt to the Audi box with a little more throttle to avoid the lag.

Same here. I came to my A4 from a F30 330D that I did 130K miles in and it had a much better box. The ZF really is miles ahead.

That said, the Audi wins in many other areas and I am learning to adapt to the somewhat sluggish box.

Reactions: rich_16
With reference to the ZF auto specifically I had a 2015 and 2017 BMW with ZF auto before my S4 and the BMW certainly had a better box which was quicker to respond and less lag which I assume must be down to the software. Having said that I’ve found it easy enough to adapt to the Audi box with a little more throttle to avoid the lag.

Yeah, I have no doubt I'll adapt very quickly. Just have it in dynamic when pulling up to junctions or roundabouts.

Or just pull back on the gear lever to put it into sport...

Reactions: SRB93, Gary_LB and Daggerit
Yeah, I have no doubt I'll adapt very quickly. Just have it in dynamic when pulling up to junctions or roundabouts.

S mode in any drive mode will suffice, better than faffing with the drive select. That or keep it in Dyanamic! :D

Reactions: Gary_LB, cuke2u and Daggerit
I agree with a lot on here but not everything. I came from a BMW F31 335d to my A4 and the difference is night and day. The S-tronic gearbox is OK, it's vastly smoother than the ZF but yes it's slower, especially when cold but the gear changes, they're just so smooth. It's not a racer it's a cruisy diesel and it excels. In the BMW I too was frustrated with the reversion to comfort, the lousy i-Drive where "back" rarely returned you to the previous page, the non automatic auto wipers, the useless sat-nav, the runflat noise, the runflat harshness, the runflat fear of not having a spare, the wind noise, the ***** headlights, the Tandy quality stereo (was it even stereo?), the oil leaks and everyone thinking you're a c**t cos you drive a BMW.

Yes, the box is slow, I drove a manual Q2 last week and it really shows how slow it is but I can live with that for the comfort, refinement, build quality and just a nicer place in which to commute.

Reactions: blackb9er, pierreluigi88, cuke2u and 1 other person